Yeti GOBOX Collection

Elk Hunt in Grizz Country Advice

CiK

I am preparing for my first elk hunt in areas that are known for the grizz. I am going solo. I have confidence in staying grizz-free in camp and hiking/scouting around, but I keep getting hung up on the idea of quartering/butchering an elk (if I am lucky enough) without a watch out.

My plan is to quarter up and hang the meat a good distance from the carcass as soon as possible before I start making trips in and out with loads. That way I am coming back to where the meat is hanging instead of coming back to a carcass on the ground. Its the quartering up and concentrating on that work that has me somewhat spooked.

Any advice or words of encouragement to help? Thanks!

Tony

Just always be aware and don't let your guard down. Bear spray AND sidearm for me, but I am reaching for my spray first

Sounds pretty good. Especially considering your solo. Separating the meat from the carcass - and if you're returning the next day or... spray a bit on the surrounding trees/bushes. Their nose picks up a hell of a lot more than ours and I know I hold a bit of caution to not brush the bushes that I dusted...

I prefer bear spray over firearms, in my opinion and that of this study from Alaska bear encounters: https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/bear_cougar/bear/files/JWM_BearSprayAlaska.pdf ... supposed better sense of smell than a bloodhound.. Besides a .44 hole size vs a 15' radius and spreading that hinders smell and sight... We beat this dead horse several threads a year. It is a great excuse to buy a-nother gun though archery... OC (Bear spray) is my personal choice. Meh, many opinions on the matter though to each his/her own... gets thread upon thread... though seems you have what planned fits the intent I've used in the past... Best to your hunt! Look forward to pics and the story. :)
ABSTRACT
We present a comprehensive look at a sample of bear spray incidents that occurred in Alaska, USA, from 1985 to 2006. We
analyzed 83 bear spray incidents involving brown bears (Ursus arctos; 61 cases, 74%), black bears (Ursus americanus; 20 cases, 24%), and polar
bears (Ursus maritimus; 2 cases, 2%). Of the 72 cases where persons sprayed bears to defend themselves, 50 (69%) involved brown bears, 20
(28%) black bears, and 2 (3%) polar bears. Red pepper spray stopped bears’ undesirable behavior 92% of the time when used on brown bears,
90%for black bears, and 100%for polar bears. Of all persons carrying sprays, 98%were uninjured by bears in close-range encounters. All bear inflicted
injuries (n¼3) associated with defensive spraying involved brown bears and were relatively minor (i.e., no hospitalization required). In
7% (5 of 71) of bear spray incidents, wind was reported to have interfered with spray accuracy, although it reached the bear in all cases. In 14%
(10 of 71) of bear spray incidents, users reported the spray having had negative side effects upon themselves, ranging from minor irritation
(11%, 8 of 71) to near incapacitation (3%, 2 of 71). Bear spray represents an effective alternative to lethal force and should be considered as an
option for personal safety for those recreating and working in bear country. (JOURNAL OF WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT 72(3):640–645;
2008)

Sounds like you have the right idea. Just have a healthy respect for 'em and you your noggin.

Yep; work fast and pray while you're working on the carcass!

I can type LOL when I really LOL'ed, right?

Thanks for tips, all! I like the idea of spraying some bear spray around the carcass or hanging meat. Additional security while away.

"I like the idea of spraying some bear spray around the carcass or hanging meat. Additional security while away."

You know this is a joke right? It's like habenero seasoning for bears. Pepper spray isn't an applicant, its a deterrent.

Seriously, though, leave some sweaty piece of clothing near the carcass to keep scavengers away. Leave the quarters well away from the gut pile. If possible, put the quarters in a spot where you can approach with the wind at your back and where you can see it from a distance. Make plenty of noise as you approach and glass the meat before the final approach to make sure you're not surprising anyone. Consider erecting poles over the meat -- a bear will generally knock down the poles if he got into the meat.

Ben,
I am sure not all hunters are fans of "Mythbusters" however, they did a show on this specific topic. :) However, I used this due to a fellow Alaskan friend that had done such without incident. I was surprised though figured it didn't hurt to try... Then a few years later, Mythbusters did a show where they sprayed the ground around a minivan stuffed full of Jellystone goodies... Well, the bear boogied and passed up all the dunkin' donuts he could have munched.

A link to the show results. Amazing what Google provides. :D https://mythresults.com/car-chase-chaos-animal-antics
Cayenne pepper deters bears.

confirmed

To the Build Team’s astonishment, the bear was so repulsed by the cayenne pepper that rather than go near the minivan, he found his way through the hot wire and tried to walk off into the woods before being corralled by his handler.

Then again... to each his or her own. :)

Well well. I'm open to learning new tricks. My instincts tell me to keep that nasty stuff in a can except in a real emergency. I'm going to ask a friend at Counter Assault and see what he thinks...

Well well. I'm open to learning new tricks. My instincts tell me to keep that nasty stuff in a can except in a real emergency. I'm going to ask a friend at Counter Assault and see what he thinks...

Please post up what your friend says. It’s certainly an interesting idea.

I asked Gary Moses. Gary's an avid hunter was head backcountry ranger at Glacier Park for years and dealt with more quarrelsome grizzlies than all of us combined. Retired from NPS, Gary now works for Counter Assault. Here's what he told me:

"Any scent may attract bears, but there is no conclusive evidence by bear experts that bear spray does or does not attract bears. This issue came to light due to the improper use of bear pepper sprays. Bear experts all agree that bear pepper spray, when used correctly, is the best defense against an aggressive bear. To be effective it must be airborne."

Several times when bear spray has been called ineffective can be traced to improper use. We have heard several stories about bears chewing on float plane tie down ropes in Alaska (drawn to the fish oil transferred there from fishermen and women) where bear spray was sprayed onto the ropes, and seemed to actually attract bears.

Sun and wind exposure will degrade the intensity of the bear spray when applied in that manner which is not airborne, which could make it an attractant, although as the statement says, there are no studies proving or disproving that."

Consider erecting poles over the meat -- a bear will generally knock down the poles if he got into the meat.

Hang a game bag (white flag, or something highly visible) from the pole as well. Make lots of noise when going back to the kill site, well before you get there.

I'm 10x more worried about running into a bear when hiking than at a kill site.

You won't have to worry about shooting an elk in grizz country; the bears already ate 'em all! ;)

But seriously, I don't remember where I heard it, but buy a battery powered radio and leave it playing with your meat. No idea if this would actually work, but it seems like it could be a decent deterrent. Of course, it could just end up masking your sound as you come back to the meat as well...:W:

Going to sound funny but i turn on music on my phone at kill! I hunt most solo and always pack spray left hip, pistol (44mag) right hip and hunting weapon in hand. Upon kill i put my bear spray on top side of elk as i work it and regulary make noise(sing along) and look at surroundings. I dont hunt as late as other areas if i know i have a lot of bears around to avoid the rush. Get the meat off as safetly and quickly as possible then ferry it to a tree that you can clearly see from the direction you plan on approaching from, rule is 10` high 4` out and be smart about where you tie it off. Once meat is gone dont go anywhere near that gutpile! Next day approach where you can see hanging meat clearly and make plenty of noise once you see nothing on it. Make sure anyone you see on trail or at parking area knows there a kill sight up there for their safety. you can leave underlayers at meat to deter, i usually pee as much as i can allover. Take plenty of rope and pack out the rack last. Seems most bears will focus on killsite not the lean meat hung in a tree so be smart and as safe as ppssible.

I would venture to guess that turning on your phone would do absolutely nothing to frighten off a bear and would have the negative effect of reducing your own ability to hear an approaching animal.

If a bear approaches you and a downed animal, it already knows you are there and has decided it still wants a part of what you’ve got. So the music won’t do a hoot.

Now if you’re talking about leaving your phone on the kill while you’re gone, that’s another thing. But I’m not sure that makes a whole lot of sense either. If you come back and get attacked, you’re gonna need that phone to call for help.

Advice on how not to get attacked, on how to break down an animal with a grizz over your shoulder... hunting in grizz country will humble you. Ive had my fair share of encounters from Cabin Creek, Tom Miner, Yankee Jim, on down to WY next to the park. And each time is no better then the rest. I find the hardest part for me is just the mental stress. I wear myself out somtimes by all the what-ifs. I have to bring myself back down to earth after my mind wanders into scary places. I get frustrated not being able to concetrate soley on trying to kill my bull. And looking behind me, whenever i cow call. Haha. Just know things can and will happen.. prepare yourself is all! To the best of your ability. Then go and hunt your ass off! I totally agree with how you plan to break the animal down, and making trips. If possible, set it in an opening so the approach wont be so sudden on the way back in.

I haven't hunted griz country but in areas with black bear, wolves, and cougar. I always build a fire at the kill sight while I am working, if it is close to evening. Not sure if it is a deterrent, I have always heard that fire keeps critters away. Maybe it attracts them??

I haven't hunted griz country but in areas with black bear, wolves, and cougar. I always build a fire at the kill sight while I am working, if it is close to evening. Not sure if it is a deterrent, I have always heard that fire keeps critters away. Maybe it attracts them??

There was a thread about this somewhere, maybe on a different forum. Guys from AK had plenty of stories about bears walking through camp and not seeming to care if a fire was burning or not.

There was a thread about this somewhere, maybe on a different forum. Guys from AK had plenty of stories about bears walking through camp and not seeming to care if a fire was burning or not.

One if the weirdest experiences I've ever had in the woods-

My wife and I were standing around a campfire in the Frank Church after dark. A mule deer doe walked out of the bushes and came right up to the fire, just like she was part of the conversation. She paid zero attention to us, only the fire.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back