Elk Hunt in Grizz Country Advice

hunting in grizz country will humble you.

I have the fear if I get to butcher and I am worried if I will really be able to sleep well. Its already providing a good dose of humility to me.

Thanks everybody for the thoughts. Very helpful.

One if the weirdest experiences I've ever had in the woods-

My wife and I were standing around a campfire in the Frank Church after dark. A mule deer doe walked out of the bushes and came right up to the fire, just like she was part of the conversation. She paid zero attention to us, only the fire.

We used to feed doe mule deer pop corn out of our hands when I was a kid. They would make the rounds through the Big Creek campground after dark. They would walk right up to our fires for a bite of Act II with Alpine Touch sprinkled on it.

MTTW, thats An ugly feeling right there! Huevos in check to snap pics amidst that setting!

Ben, the info your received re: bear spray was a good read. Thanks for reaching out.
There is a study from 1999 that said it caused brown bears to act unusual with an approx 50% identified as an attractant...
I think back to the Mythbusters show... imagine many aspects are accounted when setting science experiments though was thinking, the trained bear may have found on more than one occasion the adverse sensations of Bear Spray and the show mentions the handler had a two holsters both with their own spray. This bear may have a solid ID with the pepper aspect and the trained sense to back off from the scent... Thus he boogied versus munching the Krispy Kremes... :). Possible?

Then the same company involved with Ben's contact, Counter Assault shared the following within this Outside magazine article.

Because it’s oil-based, capsicum is also sticky and tenacious. “If it’s discharged in a campground, the area is dead to the world for 24 hours,” says George Hyde, general manager of Counter Assault, the oldest manufacturer of bear spray. “Walk across the ground and it’ll become reatomized. Spray it on your tent or clothing and you’ll probably never use those things again.” Don’t think about it like the bear-repellant equivalent of DEET. “It happens every summer,” says Hyde.
https://www.outsideonline.com/2115456/whats-bear-spray

This seems to suggest 24 hrs. Walk across the ground and it'll reatomize... ???

Meh, old Hunter's tale or tried and true use? To each his/her own.

Last edited:
Back