Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Elk gun for wife

GoatHntr

When it comes to elk hunting, my wife is a bit of a fanatic. The last elk she killed was at 350yds while she was pregnant with our son. Traditionally she has shot a 30/06 over the years, but now that she is becoming an even more proficient shooter, she would like a gun that can perform at greater distances while avoiding excessive recoil. I suggested the tried and true 7mm which seems to do better than an /06 when it comes to longer shots. She wants a browning medallion:
https://www.browning.com/products/f...t-production/x-bolt-white-gold-medallion.html
What is your feedback on this particular gun for an elk hunter chambered in 7mm? It’s not necessarily inexpensive so if I’m going to drop that kind of cash I’m just curious what your feedback is on browning or other manufacturers at that price point and if you would get it chambered in 7mm?

Thanks,

Chris

I have had a Browning 7mag since the early 80s and have been very happy with it. The bottom line in my view is whatever she picks go to a reaily good gunsmith and make sure the stock fits her. We all come in various sizes, why should we expect a one size fits all stock to fit. When it fits it fits!

No feedback on the rifle itself, but I sure enjoy my 7mm Rem Mag. It hasn't killed a ton of elk, but it's taken down bulls from as close as 70 yards to as far as 250 yards, and a couple cows in the 400 yard range, all with one shot. Berger 168gr VLDs loaded by HSM seem to be plenty potent. At the range and on coyotes, it's got plenty of gas for much further shots than you need for hunting purposes. And the recoil is very manageable, even with a lightweight gun like my Tikka. No ports/brake, but I did put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it, which has allowed me to spot my hits at 400 yards and out.

I have several Browning Rifles and 1 is a medallion in 300 win Mag. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. They are fine rifles.
As far as caliber, I would take a 30-06 over a 7mag.

No question that the 7mm is a great weapon, I have seen it used for Whitetail but haven't used it personally. Have you taken a look at the .270? I have used my .270 Savage for over 20 years and have taken a bunch of Whitetails and Mule Deer with a 130-140 gr Hornady and last year I used it for my late season elk hunt with a Nosler 160 gr Partition. I was not successful however the ballistics were fantastic all the way up to 400 yards. It's a great all around gun in my opinion and has minimal recoil.

Is recoil one of the biggest concerns? If so, look for heavier rifles over light ones (laws of physics-light gun more recoil) and pick a caliber under .300. .270 is a fine choice or even the .280. Look for a gun in the 8 to 9 lb range.

I agree get her what she wants. Don't have an X-bolt but a friend does and he loves it. It's on my list.

If you are getting a new rifle regardless, it's no big deal to get a 7mm RM over 30-06 but if that is the only purpose, I'm not sure it's that big of a bump to change to 7mm Rem Mag. The X-Bolt is a great rifle and could be worth the upgrade on rifle quality alone.

You don't mention your current scope but upgrading to a quality scope that is dialable and tracks well can easily compensate for the extra drop in a 30-06 bullet over 7mm RM. Just know your ballistics and dial it. I'm not sure how much advantage 7mm RM gives you in wind over 30-06 but I wouldn't want to shoot 500 yards with more than a 10 mph wind anyway.

What range are you talking to compare cartridges?

Is recoil one of the biggest concerns? If so, look for heavier rifles over light ones (laws of physics-light gun more recoil) and pick a caliber under .300. .270 is a fine choice or even the .280. Look for a gun in the 8 to 9 lb range.
I don't think recoil should be a big concern- after shooting at an elk do you even feel it? I only feel it at the shooting range after shooting a box of ammo. My biggest concern would be weight of the rifle- going up those steep Montana hills after elk in inclement weather drove me to buy a Tikka Lite- you choose the caliber - best shooting gun out of the box!

Browning Medallion, X-Bolt or A-Bolt, are solid choices, especially if that's what she wants.
Weatherby was ingenious to introduce the Camilla, a hunting rifle "designed by women, for women". They have both Vanguard and Mark V models. No standard 30-06 nor 7mm Rem Mag options, but they do offer the Mark V Camillas in 280 AI. That'd be awesome, and one to pass on for generations. I'd be jealous if my wife had that.

I picked up a Remington model 7 with HS stock for my wife in 7-08. Running a Holland scope. Should handle everything here in Wyoming.

I cannot speak to the particular rifle, but every one of my non-muzzle loader elk kills have been with the 7 mag. Load up some 160 Partitons and go forth and kill. In spite of some whiners chiming in, the recoil is not bad. I have an -06 that hits me harder than either of my 7 mags. If the Browning fits her well, then BUY IT!

BUT, don't discount the 7-08, either.

I wanted to thank everyone for your feedback my wife was happy, apparently I’ll be working overtime but it sounds like she’ll get that medallion afterall.

Thanks,

Chris

I agree get her what she wants. Don't have an X-bolt but a friend does and he loves it. It's on my list.

If you are getting a new rifle regardless, it's no big deal to get a 7mm RM over 30-06 but if that is the only purpose, I'm not sure it's that big of a bump to change to 7mm Rem Mag. The X-Bolt is a great rifle and could be worth the upgrade on rifle quality alone.

You don't mention your current scope but upgrading to a quality scope that is dialable and tracks well can easily compensate for the extra drop in a 30-06 bullet over 7mm RM. Just know your ballistics and dial it. I'm not sure how much advantage 7mm RM gives you in wind over 30-06 but I wouldn't want to shoot 500 yards with more than a 10 mph wind anyway.

What range are you talking to compare cartridges?

She will be shooting a Zeiss 6x24 a big improvement over her current Nikon. Anyhow that’s the scope she’s picked out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back