Elk gun for wife

Browning Medallion, X-Bolt or A-Bolt, are solid choices, especially if that's what she wants.
Weatherby was ingenious to introduce the Camilla, a hunting rifle "designed by women, for women". They have both Vanguard and Mark V models. No standard 30-06 nor 7mm Rem Mag options, but they do offer the Mark V Camillas in 280 AI. That'd be awesome, and one to pass on for generations. I'd be jealous if my wife had that.

Thanks I did now know that I’ll mention this to her as well.

I’m a huge proponent of sub 270 rifle cartridges. With the bullet technology today, in my opinion, makes anything larger overkill unless your into going to Africa or grizz I suppose. I switched from a 30-06 to a 6.5X284 Norma 5 years ago. 120 gr bullet no muzzle break to blow your ears out needed. Doesn’t kick. Downed multiple elk, a dozen mule deer, 1 moose, dozens of pigs all one shot kills. Shot placement is key. Ballistics are awesome for the Norma.

I’m a huge proponent of sub 270 rifle cartridges. With the bullet technology today, in my opinion, makes anything larger overkill unless your into going to Africa or grizz I suppose. I switched from a 30-06 to a 6.5X284 Norma 5 years ago. 120 gr bullet no muzzle break to blow your ears out needed. Doesn’t kick. Downed multiple elk, a dozen mule deer, 1 moose, dozens of pigs all one shot kills. Shot placement is key. Ballistics are awesome for the Norma.

As inferred, shot placement is key. I like your style 👍

Browning Hells Canyon,. It comes with a muzzle brake, which makes for very low recoil, it's lightweight and accurate.. My son has one and it's pure joy to shoot..

I would go with the Hells canyon "Speed" model as well. It's light, and has the muzzle break. You don't have to worry about rust as the metal is treated. The one downside though is that it has a 9.5 twist rate so you need to pay attention to the ammo your using and probably stick to a max of 168 grain lead bullets and even lighter copper bullets. The long range model Hells canyon does have a 8-1 twist but weights something like 7 lbs 8 ounces due to the heavier barrel of the long range version. But if she can handle the extra weight the long range version would be better for long range and handle the heavier and longer bullets just fine with the faster 8 twist barrel.

Another option might be the 280 AI. Kick is a little less than the 7 mm mag even though both are 7mm and Savage is the most reasonable priced brand that sells the AI. Also the Savage model "Storm" has an adjustable stock so might fit a female better. I think the twist rate is 9 for the savage Storm which is not ideal but better than the browning's 9.5 twist.

I would go with the Hells canyon "Speed" model as well. It's light, and has the muzzle break. You don't have to worry about rust as the metal is treated. The one downside though is that it has a 9.5 twist rate so you need to pay attention to the ammo your using and probably stick to a max of 168 grain lead bullets and even lighter copper bullets. The long range model Hells canyon does have a 8-1 twist but weights something like 7 lbs 8 ounces due to the heavier barrel of the long range version. But if she can handle the extra weight the long range version would be better for long range and handle the heavier and longer bullets just fine with the faster 8 twist barrel.

Another option might be the 280 AI. Kick is a little less than the 7 mm mag even though both are 7mm and Savage is the most reasonable priced brand that sells the AI. Also the Savage model "Storm" has an adjustable stock so might fit a female better. I think the twist rate is 9 for the savage Storm which is not ideal but better than the browning's 9.5 twist.

Thank you for the excellent feed back. I am a hells canyon fan. That will likely be mine sometime in the future. I wonder about the AI v 7mm. I’m sure both are capable maybe 7mm just packs a bit more heat. I’ll check out the rifles you mention. Thank you

My thoughts are, if it's killing em, why stop? The recoil shouldn't bother her while shooting game. As far as practicing grab a .222 or something that doesn't recoil, same bike different gears.

I'm not sure if your wife would need a shorter rigle for her build but if you can find a micro browning they are awesome compact rifles. I have one in .204 and it is a tack driver!

I have several browning rifles one is the medallion A bolt great guns

Having been through the drill of having a wife choose a rifle, I suggest that you provide information regarding calibers and loads only. If possible, take her to a gun retailer, and allow her to handle several rifles. I agree with the other guys who suggest getting the rifle fitted to her by a competent gunsmith. It appears you already have a great scope to mount on the rifle. Her apparent current choice of a Browning Medallion is a solid rifle. I have had an A-Bolt in .270 Win since the 80's that has seen rough service from the Arctic to the Rockies. It's still more accurate than I am.

I have shoulder problems. So ended up with the Browning Hells Canyon long range in 6.5 creedmore. So have only shot it at the range. There is some recoil but nothing like my Weatherby .270.
I should have the butt trimmed down. Hoping to be back in the field this fall/winter.
Big tear in the cartilage and knee surgery took me out for the last 2 falls.
We like it so much the other half went and found one in 308. He had been shooting my old feather weight Winchester in 308 and he was afraid he'd scratch it up even more.

Anything will work on an elk out to about 400, just depends on how far the goal is.

I'm a 7mm guy through and through, the ballistics trump the 30-06 in nearly every fashion. My 7mm had a touch
more recoil than my 30-06, before I put a brake on. A 7mm with a brake in about a 9 lb. platform is not bad recoil,
in my opinion. But everyone has different tolerances to recoil.

Back