PEAX Equipment

Elk Colorado Semi Guided Hunt

kelley12

Looking to do an Elk Hunt in Colorado, and seeing if anyone has done a semi guided hunt. I have been looking at a couple and AEI Guide and Outfitter is at the top of my list so far. I would love to do DIY but it looks like i might be going solo. The person i was going to hunt with might have to back out. I have never hunted elk before so i know a Solo hunt is going to be out of the question. I think a semi guided hunt is a best of both worlds i can get help on locations and still hunt on my own, and have someone who knows where i am. Keeps the wife happy.

Any suggestions would be a huge help on a semi guided hunt.

thanks

Last edited:
I've done something similar, although I wouldn't say it was guided in any respect. A friend of mine (who is an outfitter) let us use one of his camps, showed us a trailhead to go in on and from there it was all on us to find and kill elk. The challenge with these hunts lies in how busy the outfitter is at the time. If he or she also has fully-guided clients, they will likely be taken care of before drop camp hunters will, so be prepared for that going in. It could be a couple days before the outfitter can get your elk off the mountain for you so make sure you have everything you need to get an animal broken down for packing out. Don't be afraid to make a couple trips on your own as well. You don't want meat spoiling on you!

I think drop camps are great for first time hunters, just be sure to understand all the logistical challenges and have fair expectations of the outfitter before you head out. Good luck!!

IMO, Drop Camps can be a mixed bag, depending on a number of things. Much may depend on the reputation and general area of the Outfitter? If you're planning on going alone, you'll probably find yourself sharing a drop camp with some strangers, as most Outfitters want at least 4 hunters to put in a camp. That in itself can be a mixed bag....? A downside for some hunters, can be that an Outfitter starts up his camps in the archery season, which in Colorado, is around Labor Day weekend. So he's ferrying new hunters in and out every week throughout the Fall. If you're a 2nd season rifle hunter, he may have had 4 prior hunting groups, or perhaps 24 hunters scouring that area for game, plus maybe taking their share of the Elk before you even come along. (?) Of course if more new Elk drift into that area, that replenishes the game numbers, but from year to year, this may or may not happen? Around here, this can lead to a lot of commotion in an area, with the Outfitter packing hunters in and out. Packers coming in bringing supplies and hauling out game, etc. Not the best way to remain being subtle in a hunting area. All this said, I'd be checking an Outfitter's past references on this, as it can vary by the Outfit, the area , and a number of other factors. Ask past hunters about some of this stuff. I've known cases where the employees of an Outfitter were just hired recently, and knew virtually nothing about the area they were working in. Of course all this can work out for the best too. I'd just be "informed" before I plopped down my hard earned money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaska2Montana
Back