Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Elk Calling Basics

Just order elknuts stuff and listen and read it. I did that this year and had lots of success. It helps when you know what the elk sounds mean. You'll be able to call Bulls and cows both.

I'm not sure that's it. I've been helpful to other forum members that have been courteous and polite and seemed genuine. I think I would have made the same offer to a younger male hunter who was just starting out and being polite and courteous. There just aren't very many of those around! (Polite and courteous young males) :D

I actually found my DVDs last night, still looking for the playbook. I know I've just watched the DVDs one time about 6 or 7 years ago, I read the playbook a couple times, but the fact that I can't seem to find it very easily seems to indicate that I'm not going to really miss it.

It might not apply to you personally npaden, but it seems like the rest of the boys around here are extra helpful to female posters.

Not trying to sound bitter or sexist, just making an observation.

I'm not sure that's it. I've been helpful to other forum members that have been courteous and polite and seemed genuine. I think I would have made the same offer to a younger male hunter who was just starting out and being polite and courteous. There just aren't very many of those around! (Polite and courteous young males) :D

I actually found my DVDs last night, still looking for the playbook. I know I've just watched the DVDs one time about 6 or 7 years ago, I read the playbook a couple times, but the fact that I can't seem to find it very easily seems to indicate that I'm not going to really miss it.

I have the playbook on my PC. If you need it, send me a note and I'll drop it on my G drive.

Yeah, women generate a little more attention but I know some don't always appreciate certain types of it and leave sites like this or even change careers. We should also not get too far from reality. When I was looking for a gun for my kid I had about as many replies as she did, yet nobody questioned the reasons like they did with her (more than once, and not always in a positive tone). I actually had two people from this site that I only met in passing loan me their guns to try. Sometimes people are just nice.

Agree 100%, I have always found guys on here to be helpful to those who need/want help. What you usually don't find with women posters is one post wonders asking where they should hunt in a unit they just drew. As far as Nk, i'd say she's held her own in some discussions and proven she's here to be a part of the forum. I've gotten help from some guys on here very similar to this. Some guys are just helpful and that's what makes this one a class act.

if the playbook is so good, why not just buy a copy and support the guy who put it together?

It might not apply to you personally npaden, but it seems like the rest of the boys around here are extra helpful to female posters.

Not trying to sound bitter or sexist, just making an observation.

I mean, really, I think you're trying to be a rabble rouser. And to be fair, this is the first time anyone has addressed my boobs on this forum, so thanks for bringing them to light. Something which I haven't done, nor has anyone else in my time here. But you know, I'm willing to call you on this one, and thanks to all the gentlemen who have already done so.

I can't speak for any other new hunters on this forum--male or female--but I can speak for myself, and I have done so, on multiple occasions here to both agreement and disagreement, and my gender hasn't been pulled into it except for a few pokes here and there (pink elk call=a silly one that I laugh at) but to actually address my physicality is a new one and incredibly unwelcome.

I'm sure if you asked the same question, someone would be happy to help you out. HuntTalkers have been extremely helpful & generous with information--some of them have actually blown my mind in their level of generosity--and a lot of them have shared with me how their wives and daughters hunt, and how happy they are to see more women in the field.

If people are helping me or any other women more on this forum, I don't think it relates back to an issue of sexuality (re: my boobs). It relates back to the fact that there is a dearth of women in this industry, and having more women involved in both hunting & the conversation can only be a good thing. I think a lot of HuntTalkers would agree with that.

And on the note that I'd ever leave the forum because someone was being sexist (which you were, whether you recant or not), there's no way. It makes me want to stay and have a voice even more, because the physicality of women has no place in this forum, but the voice of a woman surely does.

Now, I'm going to go put on my nicest pink camo outfit, redo my eyeliner that I cried off when I read your post, listen to some Britney Spears, and head to the gun range. I've got some hunts to prep for.

Last edited:
I mean, really, I think you're trying to be a rabble rouser. And to be fair, this is the first time anyone has addressed my boobs on this forum, so thanks for bringing them to light. Something which I haven't done, nor has anyone else in my time here. But you know, I'm willing to call you on this one, and thanks to all the gentlemen who have already done so.

I can't speak for any other new hunters on this forum--male or female--but I can speak for myself, and I have done so, on multiple occasions here to both agreement and disagreement, and my gender hasn't been pulled into it except for a few pokes here and there (pink elk call=a silly one that I laugh at) but to actually address my physicality is a new one and incredibly unwelcome.

I'm sure if you asked the same question, someone would be happy to help you out. HuntTalkers have been extremely helpful & generous with information--some of them have actually blown my mind in their level of generosity--and a lot of them have shared with me how their wives and daughters hunt, and how happy they are to see more women in the field.

If people are helping me or any other women more on this forum, I don't think it relates back to an issue of sexuality (re: my boobs). It relates back to the fact that there is a dearth of women in this industry, and having more women involved in both hunting & the conversation can only be a good thing. I think a lot of HuntTalkers would agree with that.

And on the note that I'd ever leave the forum because someone was being sexist (which you were, whether you recant or not), there's no way. It makes me want to stay and have a voice even more, because the physicality of women has no place in this forum, but the voice of a woman surely does.

Now, I'm going to go put on my nicest pink camo outfit, redo my eyeliner that I cried off when I read your post, listen to some Britney Spears, and head to the gun range. I've got some hunts to prep for.

Nicole,

My comment was not directed at you so much as the men on this site. I'm sorry if you took it as such. That said, I still don't think it was inaccurate to say that you have gotten better treatment than the average new male member here. Usually newbies get a handful of replies to general questions and if asking for specific unit details are flat told to GFY. I probably could have phrased my observation differently but I won't apologize for the premise.

In the meantime, good luck this fall and I do hope you stick around.

Silly? Maybe you're too manly for the ULTIMATE PINK ELK CALL.

The first time it was used, this bull was called in to 2 yards and arrowed by my 12 year old. I suggest having Tony make you one, don't leave home without it, but use it as little as possible.

Attachments

• pope.JPG
    pope.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 329
Nicole,

My comment was not directed at you so much as the men on this site. I'm sorry if you took it as such. That said, I still don't think it was inaccurate to say that you have gotten better treatment than the average new male member here. Usually newbies get a handful of replies to general questions and if asking for specific unit details are flat told to GFY. I probably could have phrased my observation differently but I won't apologize for the premise.

In the meantime, good luck this fall and I do hope you stick around.

As a wise man once said "Seek peace not justice" so I'll accept your slightly backhanded apology.

And to be fair, I've never asked for any specific unit details or anything other than general advice that anyone could have asked, so no one has had a reason to tell me to GFM yet, though some have come close. Which I welcome if warranted. Being wrong doesn't scare me, but being righteous & indignant is something that I seek to avoid at all costs.

Not trying to sound bitter or sexist

And failing miserably.
Maybe the other "boys" are so helpful because they have wives, girlfriend, mothers, daughters who share an interest and they are treating Nk the way they would hope others would treat the women in their lives. Or maybe they are just nice guys. Funny how when Hunt Talkers help out a guy in a jam, it's "atta boys" all around but for a woman somebody's got to bring the negativity. It's alright....I've got a feeling Nk can hold her own.

And failing miserably.
Maybe the other "boys" are so helpful because they have wives, girlfriend, mothers, daughters who share an interest and they are treating Nk the way they would hope others would treat the women in their lives. Or maybe they are just nice guys. Funny how when Hunt Talkers help out a guy in a jam, it's "atta boys" all around but for a woman somebody's got to bring the negativity. It's alright....I've got a feeling Nk can hold her own.

I am in full support of people helping out others on this forum. I have helped out a few people here and a few have helped me out.

As far as me trying to "bring the negativity" or your assertion that I applaud men helping out men but despise men helping out women, well, that is just flat wrong. I merely find it amusing that guys jump to their keyboard in some instances and not so quick in others. As I said in one of my above posts, I could have phrased it differently. Having women participate in the sport is pumping some much-needed blood back into a slowly dying pastime, and I'm all for it.

You are going to get a lot more responses on a post such as this. i.e. help with elk calling, general areas on a map to find elk, whats your favorite time to hunt elk, etc. Now if you make a post about area 693 b in the northwesterly eastern corner or Montana and want to know which drainage that people usually see elk in....the responses are going to be limited. Most people are willing to help when they can. I have found this site to be amazing and I have learned a ton thanks to many members. It is one thing to not say anything or just leave a brief post and wish them good luck....its another thing to make someone feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. Heck...look at the attention and traffic that Randy's posts draw....and Im guessing no one is doing it because of his physical attributes! HA! :p:D

Having women participate in the sport is pumping some much-needed blood back into a slowly dying pastime, and I'm all for it.

On this, and on people helping others on this forum, we agree. But I will hazard a guess that other women lurk here in hopes of picking up pointers and are perhaps too intimidated to post up. Those types of comments pretty much ensure that many won't. The thought of that probably wasn't on your radar but a reality nonetheless. End of scolding.

I do think that NK gets a lot of participation in her posts.

I equate her questions with the recent questions from KIWiI on his US hunt.

Both are intelligent and ask good questions. It is obvious the both do their homework.

Most important; they are both contributing members to the forums and not asking info on the first post.

I think if you are member and have done your research and ask intelligent questions. you get a favorable response.

My opinion.

bobbydean is spot on

NK have fun calling elk, nothing else like it. As greenhorn said, use sparingly to keep them guessing and looking for you.

Shouldn't go near this one with a ten foot pole.

Okay maybe Belly took it a step too far for a on-line forum.As we know it is tricky communicating tone along with words.His comment may be offensive but also could be interpreted as a good natured crack.Seriously thin skin syndrome.Its a hunting site where pansies don't survive. I agree with his observation, men leap to the keyboard to respond to a female post.Its the nature of things.
NK- you do a good job paving the way for more female participation,unfortunately something like a "cutesy" avatar pic promotes bad behavior.May I suggest some camo and a harvested animal,or something.;):D

gee whiz, i was away for a day, came back and thought, wow, look at all these comments! Not many have much to do with elk calling....

back to the topic at hand. Another thing to consider when elk calling is the nonverbal calling. Anybody can do this. Grab a stick and rake a tree. break branches. Stomp around. Sometimes without any verbal calling whatsoever, this will bring in curious elk.

The other thing that helped me is watch a lot of videos on youtube. actually hearing the sounds works wonders. And again, practice, practice, practice so you have the confidence that the first note of your call is going to be spot on.

NK have you hunted elk before? I have a few observations (not just calling) I put together from my hunt this year that I would share with you if you would like.

P.S. I love women getting into the sport! I am bringing my daughter on her first ever pheasant hunt today. She is 11.

Back