Elk Calling Basics

I think we can all agree that tackling sexism on this forum is not constructive. Heck, we can't even agree on the best caliber to use for Elk.

NK - there's been good advice. The open reed call (like Greenhorn's beautiful pink one) can be easy to learn to make different tones (and sound good at it too). I stay away from the Hoochie-mama type call - I can pick those out right away in the timber if someone uses it. There's no art to using a push call - everyone sounds the same.

The diaphragm calls are great for hand-free use. They take a little longer to get confidence in. I have trouble with mine if I have a dry mouth. After you think you have it figured out - I like to hike with mine. I'll practice when I get real winded or am dry-mouthed.

I'm not a super strong bugler. I'm still working on diaphragm bugling - and carry a Primos 'Terminator' in the field. You can get decent bugles in short order on this. I've called in 3 bulls this year to under 30 yards (not bragging, just saying it has worked for me). My brother and a friend have the 'Power Bugle' from Elk Inc. It's worked for them and is easy to pick up as well.

The advice on calling sparingly is very good. Elk hunting isn't all about calling. I tend to use it as a closing tactic, especially if the down-wind approach is "noisy".

LOL, this is going to sound a bit sexist, but my wife found my playbook for me this morning. It was in the tote that I thought it was in and that I had looked in 3 times in the last 2 days looking for the playbook to send to NK.

I guess there are some things women are better at than men! ;)

So I'll be sending the DVDs and the playbook your way today hopefully NK. You are more than welcome to pass them on to someone else when you are done with them.

I do think the playbook is valuable material and have read it multiple times, I'll probably read through it again before I send it out today.

I was thinking about this more. A lot of people say to call sparingly, and I would usually agree with that. Sometimes, though, you are in a situation and the cows are really vocal. I think there are times when you don't have to worry about over calling as much. There are a lot of guys on this forum with WAY more experience than me, but I have found that sometimes it seems like you can make any sound that is remotely close to some type of ungulate and get away with it.

It took me a couple of years of having 4-5 hunting trips where I got to spend 30+ minutes "in" an elk herd where I finally started to just "feel" what noise I should make. I think that there are great resources out there (i.e. this forum, the elknut playbook, etc...) that you will learn a lot from, but you will not really get a good handle on calling until you just go out there and wing it. You will definitely scare some elk off, but learn from that. Before too long, you will start to figure out what makes bulls respond more often. Or what call to make when you think there are cows nearby to get them to talk back to you.

I would say that any encounter with an elk that doesn't know you are there until you call out to it will be more valuable than most of what you read on this forum, even if that elk just looks at you and runs away.

And also, I am definitely more apt to respond to your posts because they are intelligent, intentional, and thoughtful. Not because you are a woman. I really can't believe that is even in the discussion.

The advice on calling sparingly is very good. Elk hunting isn't all about calling. I tend to use it as a closing tactic, especially if the down-wind approach is "noisy".

For rifle hunting I'd say it isn't needed at all.

Some of the worst, fake sounding, weak bugles I have ever heard came from live bull elk. And some of them were good sized herd bulls. Had one bull that just growled the entire time, we honestly thought it was a bear hiking in that morning in the dark.

I use my diaphragm call pretty exclusively. I like the mellow yellow one. I like the ones with the metal plate on the top so it doesn't buzz against the roof of my mouth. I even bugle with the mellow yellow one for locator bugles, if I'm trying to be a big herd bull I have a brown one I use sometimes.

The primos "cow girl" closed reed call is really easy to blow and makes a really good sound, you just can't alter it much so it makes the same noise pretty much every time you blow it.

I've had bulls that won't respond to anything else in the arsenal respond to my primos "I maka da bull crazy" call. It is an open reed and you can change it up quite a bit by how you bite down on it and where you put the rubber band.

But I always walk around with a diaphragm call in the corner of my mouth when I'm elk hunting. If nothing else you can usually get a bull to at least pause a bit with it if you bust him out.

LOL, this is going to sound a bit sexist, but my wife found my playbook for me this morning. It was in the tote that I thought it was in and that I had looked in 3 times in the last 2 days looking for the playbook to send to NK.

I guess there are some things women are better at than men! ;)

So I'll be sending the DVDs and the playbook your way today hopefully NK. You are more than welcome to pass them on to someone else when you are done with them.

I do think the playbook is valuable material and have read it multiple times, I'll probably read through it again before I send it out today.

That I will definitely do, thanks npaden :)

And thanks to everyone who paid this situation some thought. And especially to the people who stayed on topic, I definitely have read every word, I figured that that elk bugling would be a topic that a lot of people would have great experience/opinions on, so nice to see some of that continuing in spite of the disruption.

That's an interesting point, thanks Rob.

I wasn't thinking I'd be good enough at calling to use it this season--which I'll be rifle hunting--but if I decide to get into archery, I feel like I could have some fun experiences next fall.

Also I have my own place right now so I won't be annoying the crap out of anyone practicing at home, so it seems like good timing :)

I was thinking about this more. A lot of people say to call sparingly, and I would usually agree with that. Sometimes, though, you are in a situation and the cows are really vocal. I think there are times when you don't have to worry about over calling as much. There are a lot of guys on this forum with WAY more experience than me, but I have found that sometimes it seems like you can make any sound that is remotely close to some type of ungulate and get away with it.

It took me a couple of years of having 4-5 hunting trips where I got to spend 30+ minutes "in" an elk herd where I finally started to just "feel" what noise I should make. I think that there are great resources out there (i.e. this forum, the elknut playbook, etc...) that you will learn a lot from, but you will not really get a good handle on calling until you just go out there and wing it. You will definitely scare some elk off, but learn from that. Before too long, you will start to figure out what makes bulls respond more often. Or what call to make when you think there are cows nearby to get them to talk back to you.

I would say that any encounter with an elk that doesn't know you are there until you call out to it will be more valuable than most of what you read on this forum, even if that elk just looks at you and runs away.

And also, I am definitely more apt to respond to your posts because they are intelligent, intentional, and thoughtful. Not because you are a woman. I really can't believe that is even in the discussion.

That second paragraph sounds like my dream experience. Actually I had a night when I was solo backpacking on the Continental Divide where an elk herd grazed around my tent all night, and weirdly enough, that's when I decided I wanted to be a hunter, so I could spend more time around these amazing animals and also feed myself and my friends/family in a way that I believe gives back to both the animals and the land.

I'm excited about this. And thank you for your last thought. Seriously much appreciated.

Also I have my own place right now so I won't be annoying the crap out of anyone practicing at home, so it seems like good timing :)
Yeah, after one practice session I was advised by my wife that there wouldn't be another one. (Not being sexist, if I was gay I'm sure he'd tell me the same thing.)

I've cow-called during rifle season a few times. Once was on a really snow-crusted day. The kind of crust when mice are loud. I heard some cows talking and walking through the timber. So I talked and walked just enough to get a shot.

I've used it as a last resort after the shot with varying success. One was to get a bull to stop for my brother after I already shot a bull.

But most of the time the call doesn't leave my bino case during rifle.

Yeah, after one practice session I was advised by my wife that there wouldn't be another one.

I get my kids (3 and 5) involved in practice in the house. That way everyone is offended and irritated. ;)

There was a guy that posted here that he managed to call a herd off of private land and take the bull. I'd like to try that someday. That seems a perfect place to gauge how they react.

A hootchie-mama has probably called in more bulls than half the cow calls combined, and scared off just as many...

Lots of calls will work. The best call ins I got in AZ were with my wife's mac daddy.

One of the best reeds you can start with is the single reed Mellow Yellow mouth reed/diaphragm. It will take lots of practice to master but well worth your efforts. This reed is very user friendly as it has a narrow stance, this means it will basically fit any mouth or palate. Wider framed mouth reeds feel like they fill your mouth & that's not a good feeling or fit. Start off with the right reed & you will progress quickly!

For quick easy instruction you may want to consider the ElkNut 5 DVD. This dvd covers the 5 top sounds elk use especially during Aug.-Sept.-Oct. -- These sounds will put you on the right track from a beginner to a veteran & are fairly easy to learn. Too, it will explain & define what each sound represents to the elk. Understanding each one will now help you to determine the message being sent by the elk themselves & which one may be best utilized in a calling situation. This info can help you immensely in starting your elk hunting career!

ElkNut1

Chris Roe....roehuntingresources.com is a great place to learn A LOT about elk calling for the beginner and the seasoned. If you go through his online program you will for sure walk away a better caller. Elknut makes the best mouth calls I have ever used in my opinion. I also like primos hyper lip double and single. The single is much easier to use but it sounds like a younger cow or calf.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back