MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Elk Caliber for wife...

I've been looking the loading tables over regarding the 7-08. It appears bullets in the 140 grain range are a good balance of velocity and energy with a good trajectory. You need a bullet that will hold together and have had some great examples from Barnes and Nosler. Bullet placement is very important with all calibers. With marginal bullets in any caliber and a poor hit you will have failures. If you want to stay with the 7mm try a 280 or a 280 Ackley Improved.
Dan

I'm surprised at the results you had considering the 162gr HSM ammo is loaded with a Hornady Interlock. Thought maybe it was the Amax, but it's not listed on their site, just the BTSP Interlock.

Go to a tougher bullet, like those suggested, and I bet you won't have any problems. IIRC, Buzz shot a cow at over 700yds last year with his 7-08 and only needed one shot.

My 2014 Bull I took with a 7-08... 150 Ballistic Tip. Bullet entered mid-abdomen and traveled 32" of elk, punching through the off-shoulder scapula, and was under the hide. Frankly, I've never been a fan of Hdy Interlock's, and have always felt the new generation of ballistic tips (not the varmint variety) are a fair bit tougher. Having said that, my favorite bullet remains the good old Partition. A high BC means little to nothing inside 500 yards...

camp-2014_zps5370d9c4.jpg

More of the same as everyone else. Try an accubond, partition, or some sort of copper bullet. Buzz would be a good one to ask, thats what his wife took her elk with this year I think. Don't blame you for the frustration but there is too much support for this caliber for it not to be reliable. Good luck.

I would say that the 162 grain bullet robbed to much velocity from the load. The bullet IMO is too big for that caliber. Stay lighter and go with a hotter load.

120 TTSX will hammer the elk. I killed a cow this year with one shot from a 130gr TTSX at 379. I would try that before parting with the rifle.

My wife shoots a .300 wsm with 130 gr Barnes TTSX at just over 3400 fps and has shot an elk the last several years with good results.

Keep the rifle and get better bullets. I have killed elk with the 7mm-08 and 140 partitions and 120 TTSX's. It is my favorite elk caliber and has never failed me.

I'll second that recommendation on using the Barnes TTSX in 120 gr. or a Hornady GMX. You can go light for caliber with a copper/alloy bullet. They retain most of their weight when and if recovered. I go with 150 TTSX in my 30.06. Never had one fail yet, like others have said, it's not the caliber it's the bullet.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back