Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Elk burger tips

Birddog08

Went on a hunt with my dad and nephew and my brother in laws last week and we harvested some cows. Letting them age (quarters hanging) for a week in a walk in cooler. My question for you guys is what is your mix? I’m thinking 10% tallow and 5% pork. But if anyone has any ideas or is willing to share what you have had some luck with, I would love to know.

thank you for your time.

I used to use fatty bacon ends or other fatty pork (still do for snack sticks) but for my reg grind I get the cheapest bulk hamburger you can buy at the store (typically about 25% fat) and mix that at 1-1/2 pounds of the burger to 10 pounds of ground wild game meat. Prob comes out in the 90% lean range, tastes great, and holds form well

For deer venison burgers, my neighbor used straight venison and adds some egg as a binder. I’m going to try that some this season

i'm on a pork fat kick right now. only because it seems to be easier to turn up than beef fat.

usually have to call whole foods or kroger and request they set aside tallow and put my name on it. can waltz into any costco and get a pork belly for fat.

am usually a 20-25% guy - I love fat, I love juicy burgers, i also like seeing my burger supply increase by 25%.

For burgers I like bacon ends. I don't grind right away but usually pull whole muscle out of the freezer, grind with the bacon, form into patties, individually wrap in plastic then freeze a bunch of patties at a time in ziplock bags. Thaw and cook as needed.

I usually buy the cheapest ground beef (it has more fat), and mix it 25% to 75% ground venison (elk). Grill on the pit until medium (pink in the middle).

I used to add fat but it's a pain. Now I just add an egg and about a tablespoon of olive oil after thawing. A very important step, even if you are using fat is to put the patties into the fridge after pressing into shape. Keep them cold until you are ready to put them on the grill or skillet. The cold serves as an additional binder and makes a huge difference when handling the raw meat.

Depends on how long you're going to have it frozen.

If you grind in batches and/or you use it fast, pork is the way to go. But if you grind in one batch and plan to store it frozen more than 9-10 months, I'd use 8-12% beef fat. Pork fat starts to get funky when its in a freezer for much longer than that. Not true with beef tallow properly packaged elk burger with beef fat you have a couple years at least.

I did bacon ends for a couple of deer I processed last year, and it came out decent. I think I like beef fat better though. Where do you guys buy beef fat for making your grind? I'm trying to find a source that supplies quality organic beef fat.

I've never added anything to my elk burgers besides some bread crumbs and minimal seasoning. I will say most of my cows have been shot later in the season so their natural fat content has been pretty good. I usually throw my patties in the freezer for a bit before grilling them kind of low and slow. Seems to help keep them together better.

I add pork butt into mine, so its still rather lean. Its never the same but in the ball park of 15%.

I did bacon ends for a couple of deer I processed last year, and it came out decent. I think I like beef fat better though. Where do you guys buy beef fat for making your grind? I'm trying to find a source that supplies quality organic beef fat.
could always try contacting a local rancher who sells their own meat. You can look on Facebook or Craigslist.

I grind mine twice with the coarse wheel and don’t add anything. No problem making burgers as long as it’s coarse grind.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back