Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

EcoDiesel?

I just picked up a new cummins in August, I’ve had 3 prior and have always been impressed. However if I were to do it again I would give the EcoDiesel a shot, Have heard mostly great things and can’t beat that fuel economy.

We have a Durango with the 3.6 gasser. Mid-20 mpgs and 300 HP. If you don't tow heavy loads, might consider the cheaper engine.

That engine is the Fiat diesel in widespread use in Europe. While Stationed in Italy I drove Fiat passenger vans with that engine quite a lot. They were not refined at all but compared to other Fiat products (junk) they were fairly decent and did well on economy. Given a choice, however, I would NEVER buy anything Fiat. Even the Italians shy away from them unless they can afford nothing else.

Thanks SFC...your comment and experience could be the dealbreaker. I don't like fiat but have heard of widespread use of this motor. I see mixed reviews some guys mention not getting the magical 25mpg on the highway but others mention that 22 average and 27 highway is not uncommon. On any given day, I get about 16.8 highway travelling MT highway speeds and in town way lower than that.

The reason for the interest is guy I compete against at local bar trivia just bought 2 of them and said a certain dealership offered them for the same price as the gas rig with 0% interest and a good deal on a comparable trade in.

At the moment, towing will be strictly smaller trailers/boats and possibly a smaller bumper pull camper. I just don't own any toys that would justify a big towing rig.

We have one EcoDiesel here on the farm, it will be one year old at the end of the month. During this past year it has spent approx. 9 weeks in the dealer's shop, the latest visit will be for one month by the time we get it back; the engine is being replaced and Dodge (or at least the dealer here) has been unable to get the replacement. Farm use is tough use, but this pickup has been almost entirely on paved-road duty since we got it, it has been a huge lemon so far. Some of the earlier problems were sensors, but again Dodge was having enough of the same problems that the dealer here couldn't get parts in a timely fashion. I wouldn't buy another one, but as it is with these things, you could buy one and have great luck, as I'm sure many other owners are happy.

As long as you don't want to tow heavy loads like you could with a regular cummings it would be ok.
230 hp and 430 ft. lbs of torque. Pretty good for a 1500 pick-up.

If you don't put on mega-miles, or tow heavy loads often, you do not need a diesel. Repairs are expensive, if you can even find a competent shop to work on it.

And....it is still a bail-out Dodge.

thanks guys. The comments are noted...I'm not really concerned with the whole bailout thing and standard Fords don't do anything for me however if I needed a towing rig I wouldn't hesitate to get a Super Duty. There wasn't a "need" for a diesel just an attempt at gaining mileage economy without having to own 2 vehicles and maintain a nickel & dime pickup. I've always questioned how mileage hasn't improved over the last few years. My 2000 gets the same mileage as a new 2015 in most brands.

Randy not opposed to Toyota or Nissan for that matter just not real thrilled about midsized vehicles and the fact that they get the same mileage as their full sized counterparts. I drove a friend's Tundra last year for about a week and it wasn't what I had hoped.

JR I think I get (as much as uneducated person can) the physics part they mention in the article especially when trucks have gotten so large and then they add big wide tires to increase the rolling resistance. Realistically the engine efficiency is the flawed issue that I had hoped would change. If an engine is only 15-20% efficient (likely less) then there should be some room for improvement...somewhere. Even a 5-10% increase could make for a marked improvement in mileage even as pickups grow in size. I'm not sure I'd be willing to drive a Rainbow trout shaped car like the example...maybe if it were named something a little more dangerous like a Cutthroat or Bull Trout ;)

Mthuntr;2430828 I'm not sure I'd be willing to drive a Rainbow trout shaped car like the example...maybe if it were named something a little more dangerous like a Cutthroat or Bull Trout ;)[/QUOTE said:
Along the same lines, isn't anything with the word "Eco" in it just down right limp-wristed and un-Merican? :mad: :D

I'm looking at a new used truck,my Tacoma has 315k on it and I want it to last for hunts........so looking for back up.
No diesels.
No giant wanna be semis.
No 10 mpg...

Would love another Tacoma,but they don't tow good and cost as much used now as a new F150.

Looking at Eco-boost F150 and such...I used to be a Ford guy. I sure don't need a deisel for the few times I pull a trailer now.

Surely not a Fiat eng......the Fiat Tractor the rich guy bought for a vineyard near me,once got it out to the fields to use before it broke down again......:eek: But it was OK on the Cent.Cali coast to own a Fiat....or a prius.....

Last edited:
Ive got a 2000 Tacoma w over 215 k and love that little truck,,also have a dodge 2500 full sized cummins for the bigger stuff .Tacoma beats it hands down for reliability.hard to have best of both worlds without owning 1 of each.

...then again I could just borrow rancher buddies truck(6) when I rarely need one,and a trade for grazin'.....
I could get a new used Tacoma for pure comfort,keeping the old one of course

1998 ford catfish
30303580002_large.jpg

F150's appear to get better milage than a Tacoma. My old 98' still gets 18-20,new ones 16-18?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back