EcoDiesel?

They have Tundra double cab 4x4 with the 5.7 V8 pretty loaded here for a sticker of $38000 and you can knock them down around $4000 based on the Tundra forums. I have a 2011 Rock Warrior Tundra. It is a gas hog but zero problem in 85000 miles and it tows my boat almost as good as my F250 with the diesel. Best I have gotten is 18mpg highway but most of the time around town it gets 14-15. Best part of the Toyota is resale. They hold value that is unreal.

My 98' Tacoma w/315k still gets 18-20 and will keep going. But it isn't much of a tow vehicle.It will carry camp and a bull.....
That's while I'll try the F-150,it should still get 14-18 from what I've heard.
I need to be able to tow a trailer for hay, a few head or lumber once in a while.
Tundras are gas hogs and have trouble loosing parts in NM I here...LOL. Buddy has lost 2 bumpers...
...of course I avoid driving with him.

Still can't believe that milage hasn't gotten better in trucks than it has.

Ive had very good luck with tacomas 3.4 v-6,,,,214 k and only water pump and timing belt so far,,other minor repairs but nothing major

Ive had very good luck with tacomas 3.4 v-6,,,,214 k and only water pump and timing belt so far,,other minor repairs but nothing major
Agree Dan,mine is same.I just service it .
Got 565K on my 82' toy4x4...it was more a towing truck too with the 4.

I've got a 2010 tundra, ZERO problems I the last 5 years. That's why people buy a Toyota, most American truck in the USA so this whole Jap business is BS. I guess I'd you want a Ford, Dodge, or Government Motors vehicle, you may pay less but you will likely have more maintenance costs and much much less resale value.

I plan to get at least 5 more years out of my truck before I upgrade but could probably get 15 more easily. Buy what you want but think long term, while vehicles lose value, they are still an investment. Choose wisely!

I'm not sure how Toyota manages to get such poor fuel economy out of mid size trucks 19 mpg highway 2015 Tacoma 4x4 v6 with an MSRP of $37000? I'm sure its a good rig but...
I'd buy an 5.0 f150 if it was my money.
That's how it works out for me when I pencil it as well. Especially considering the roomier cab and bed.

I've owned one F150 which I sold last summer. A conservative estimate is that it had about 400,000 miles on it. The odometer showed 185K, but hadn't worked since a pronghorn trip in 2007. I never did any more to it than a tune up or a belt replacement. It's still running well as the guy down the street that bought uses it for his daily driver. When I have to go truck shopping again, I'll probably look at Ford first and hope I get one as good as that '98.

That's how it works out for me when I pencil it as well. Especially considering the roomier cab and bed.

I've owned one F150 which I sold last summer. A conservative estimate is that it had about 400,000 miles on it. The odometer showed 185K, but hadn't worked since a pronghorn trip in 2007. I never did any more to it than a tune up or a belt replacement. It's still running well as the guy down the street that bought uses it for his daily driver. When I have to go truck shopping again, I'll probably look at Ford first and hope I get one as good as that '98.
Bingo 1 pointer. I can replace alot of parts on the 98' as needed to keep it for hunting rig and get an almost new truck for way less than a newer Tacoma that doesn't get better milage than my old 98',and the F150 gets close if not towing. My old 65' F-250 with big V8 4x4 used to get 14-18 hwy.....

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not the only going through this. I've pretty much got the same situation as someone that posted. I've got a 2006 Dodge with the 5.9 paid for and a 95 S10 that I was driving to work. Now I drive on the interstate more and the old S10 can't keep up. Seems like every 200 miles something breaks or quits working. I am right in the middle of debating getting a different gas mileage truck for cheap or selling both and getting a newer, more dependable truck. My wife and I have had 3 vehicles for around 2 years and only twice has one of our good vehicles been out of commission so there's always one vehicle sitting it seems. Especially tempting is the fact that I saw a 2015 4x4 Silverado at a dealership for $10,995. Makes it awfully hard not to get rid of two high mile vehicles and come out ahead in deal.

I personaly like the ECO BOOST, The only ram i would ever buy would be a 3/4 ton with a cummins.
Toyotas tundras are nice and powerfull but sure seem to guzzle gas.(from my experiences). I'd just go the HEMI route instead of the ECODIESEL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back