Eastern Montana towns to avoid

isu22andy

Instead of asking everyones hot spots what are spots that are over run with hunters ? Im sure Ill get the "all of eastern MT " reply but in your opinion what are some towns to avoid running into a million road hunters and elmer fudd brown its down blaze away types. My idea is WAY up north, near the highline, but I just want to see if someone says its a zoo up there. Headed out 2 weeks from today. First time hunting MT. Going to be missing the Iowa rut so hope its worth it !

Thanks for any help .

I don't know about Montana hunting but I do know Baker, MT has zero redeeming value. I could not wait to leave that dump this summer.

Hunted Saco hard for a full week and ended up going home with just a whitetail doe. That whole area is junk all the way to Glendive.

Haha I knew it was gonna be tough to decipher who is being sarcastic and who is honest .

Honestly, all the public land in northeastern Montana gets pounded.

I think you're asking the wrong question. Towns attract everyone this time of year. Booze, burgers, etc. For a respite from the field, it's nice to have a town close by.

If you want to get away from the road hunting crowd, get away from the roads. Big chunks of public land tend to shed people after about 1 mile from the road. Get out there early, and get in deep.

Having said that, don't go anyplace that has more than 2 streets for a downtown. That's more humanity than is necessary in the fall.

I was tricked out of about $120 at a bar in Terry one time. 'Course I knew it was going to get ugly when blue liquor was being poured. That town is has probably the highest number of sarcastic people I've ever come across, easily one of my favorite towns in EM.

I spent a few nights in the oldest settlement in MT, Fort Benton. Very historic yet seemed the town's history was either gone or not shown well. Locals did not seem very friendly to have an out-of-towner, much less a non-resident, showing up to fill a tag. I grew up splitting the year in a town of 700 and 5,000 so figured the 2,500 residents were people I would "get" if sparked up a few conversations. Nope. Cold shoulder at every turn.

I've found any town you pass thru in eastern MT during rifle season looks like a blaze orange army. And I'm not being sarcastic by the way. True story and honestly you are probably making a mistake to miss the Iowa rut. It is however cool country I think love the feel of that side of the state. The bird hunting can be fun deer not so much if your looking for a good one.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back