Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Eastern Montana Antelope with my boys

yellowdog

First time posting a thread so have some patience with the operator.

I took my oldest son Jake on his second antelope hunt in eastern montana. This is on the same ranch that I hunted when I was his age. Last year he shot a very respectable antelope at 14+ inches with one shot at 150+ yards. I thought that we would be hard pressed to surpass this feet. Anyway on our first day of a 2 day hunt the weather was drizzly and foggy. We could not see past 200 yards. Finally around 10:30 the fog started to lift and we spotted a herd of antelope at the edge of a wheat stubble field.
Since a friend of mine that has this TV Show on the outdoor channel and I like to watch, I saw the antelope episode with Besse the montana decoy moo cow and I had to try it.
We took her out and walked about 300 yards to see if we could get a shot. We were just setting up to take a shot when my dad comes driving up to us and scaring the antelope away. He thought since we were standing there the antelope had put the slip on us..
Will we gathered besse and set out to find another herd. The area we are hunting is rolling hills of combined wheat fields. The antelope travel back and forth through the hills and valleys of the stubble wheat fields.
We made a big circle of this ranch, the rain started again and the clouds were low but patience and persistants paid off again as we came across the same herd with in a quarter mile of where we first saw them. The antelope actually circled back.
Jake and I left the truck with Besse in tow and followed a small depression towards the antelope. About 1/2 way to them we put Besse in the lead, good thing as 3 does poked there head up at about 300 yard away and stared us down, waking slowing with the moo cow decoy provide the cover we needed as they started to feed again. One more little hill to get around and we should be golden. Jake just getting over a cold and he coughed as we were getting close. We had 30 some eyes on us immediatly. We stayed fairly motionless behing Besse and to my suprise they accepted the big black decoy as not a threat.
The only buck in the herd started milling around pushing does I told Jake to get ready I planted Besse and the Buck stopped broadside at around 160 yards. Jake squeezed the trigger and smoked him. He ran over the hill and tipped over. 1:00 and BBD!
Not a record book but so much fun. One side is 15" and the other is 14 3/4" between the hooks of his horns is 15" and the ivory tips are over a 1'
Life is good when you take your kids hunting!:)

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 352
Man that looks like a really good buck. Any side shots?

That's a really nice buck. Neat to hear another Besse success story. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome buck and pics. Great lope for your son and I appreciate seeing a pup in the pic...of course he appears to be looking for fowl.

YD - Congrats to Jake, and to you. Great buck and great story. Thanks for sharing.

I have a feeling we are going to see more pics of your boys and their hunts, especially when the geese come down to your area. If you need help pluckin', I mean packin' 'em, just give a call. :D

Congrats again. That is a great buck.

Congrats to Jake. Nothing better then hunting with kids. I am going to have to buy one of those cow decoys.

Nemont

Nice Loper!

15" buck is a hard one to beat! I had my "Besse" along, but never got the chance to use her.

I bet Big Fin is goint to get salesman of the year award form the Montana Decoy outfit. he has sold more black cows that the Bozeman livestock exchange.

Shortside

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back