Caribou Gear Tarp

Early Sept. Hunting Clothing

zimmy

I am looking for recommendations on Hunting clothes for a sept. 1-15 time frame in the high country of Colorado. Not looking to discuss what brand is better but more what you like to wear that time of year. I know Sitka and Kuiu are good brands. If you like that I would be interested in which models you like or I am open to other brands. Thanks for any help this will be my first time in the Rockies in Sept.

KUIU, Sitka,& Firstlite are what I use. They are all great products. Archery hunting during the dates you mentioned is when I normally hunt in north west CO and 6-10 thousand feet. Here is what I plan on taking this year.
Merino wool T shirt (KUIU or FL)x2
Merino wool LS T shirt (KUIU or FL) 1
Merino wool FL Allegeney 230 bottoms 1
Merino wool KUIU 145 zip off bottom 1
FL Dobson Airo Wool briefs x3
FL Mountain Athlete compression socks x3
KUIU Attack pants or FL Guide pants 1
KUIU merino wool 210 hoodie 1
KUIU Teton insulated jacket 1
FL Uncompogre vest 1
KUIU Kenai insulated zip off pant 1
KUIU Teton rain pant 1
KUIU Teton rain jacket 1
Merino wool neck gaiter (FL or KUIU) 1
Merino wool sock cap (FL or KUIU) 1
Ball cap 1
Merino wool liner gloves (FL or KUIU) 1
FL Shooter gloves 1
Danner boots 1
Camp shoes slip on light weight 1

This might look like a lot but it is all very light weight and I will be wearing some of it at all times. The first time I went out elk hunting we were into elk and didn't want to hike all the way back to base camp so we decided to sleep out with the elk. I put on everything I had and I always carry a small tarp, so I wrapped up in that. Let's just say I didn't get much sleep and was pretty cold but if I didn't have my layering system I would have had to go all the way back to camp. I would like to say I got my elk the next morning but I didn't.

I really like first lite. Kanab pants with light weight 1/4 zip long sleeve t is perfect archery elk.

Layers are the key. Start with some merino wool base layers and add up. You might have 60 degrees or it might snow. Wool keeps you warm when wet but gets heavy when wet.
In early Sept. you probably won't need a heavy insulated layers but a nice warm jacket or coat would be nice to have just in case. Late afternoon rain showers can make for wet cold nights. Rain gear is a must.
Take enough layers to wear some while others are hanging dry.
A good sleeping bag is also key.

Good boots and layers are my best advice. I wear medium weight pants and layer my base top, shirt and vest. Just picked up a Sitka Thunderhead rain jacket that I'm excited about. Don't let anyone tell you that cotton is the same as top quality gear like Sitka or Kuiu.

Last year in southern CO at 9k-11.5k I was wearing

150 weight base layers
Sitka Ascent pants
Sitka traverse long sleeve
Down jacket for glassing
Rain jacket for afternoon showers and stopping wind
Stocking Cap
Baseball cap
1 set of gloves

I try and support Sitka and Firstlite when I can, but at least as far as pants go, a good set of nylon (holds up way better than polyester) hiking pants are often dramatically more economical, and perform really well in the environment you are talking about. Check out Duluth Trading Company, Prana, OR, etc.

Invest in good merino base layers,a puffy coat for the cold parts of the day, gaiters for the dewy morning grass/creek crossings, and you should be in pretty good shape.

The biggest variable from location to location is probably the rain. I wear my rain gear so little that I just go with Marmot precip jackets and pants, but if you get more rain and are going to spend more time in it, you might want to invest in something better.

2nd week of Sept last year in SW CO there was a brutal monsoon, aftereffect of a hurricane from Mexico. Heavy rain, lightning, sleet and hail that piled up a few inches deep, some flash flooding. Above approx. 10K that precip was all snow. Pretty rare event, happens about 1 out of 5 years. Monsoon is heaviest in the south part of CO and along the Front Range. Some degree of monsoon is regular in south and central CO mountains during 1st half of Sept, so rain is common in the afternoons, maybe snow up high. Otherwise 30-40 degrees @ night, 60s during the day would be the average around 10K elev.

I wear Ascent-type pants, uninsulated medium weight polyester w DWR. I take lightweight base layer pants. Merino sox, uninsulated boots. Tops: take merino quarter zip. Wear midweight polyester longsleeve, polyester/fleece vest early/late in the day. Wear softshell rain jacket as outer layer early/late. Wear thin gloves, maybe thin beanie early/late. Take softshell rainpants if rain is likely. Take puffy jacket if temps below 40 are forecast.

I'm @ 10-11K (higher if necessary), hiking uphill before sunrise, staying out all day, back around sunset. CO, mid Sept.

BTW, the hunting was excellent each evening after the violent storms last Sept, they cleared an hour before sunset and game got very active.

I find Core4 to be an affordable option similar to Sitka, etc. Often on sale on Camofire and forum classifieds.

Last year in southern CO at 9k-11.5k I was wearing

150 weight base layers
Sitka Ascent pants
Sitka traverse long sleeve
Down jacket for glassing
Rain jacket for afternoon showers and stopping wind
Stocking Cap
Baseball cap
1 set of gloves

This is exactly what you need, mix and match brands they all are pretty similar don't shy away from earth tone solids by good mountaineering companies.

I recommend merino briefs (trust me they are worth it), gaiters, rain pants, and 2 pairs of socks in additional to this list. This list will get you through a 7-10 day backpack hunt no problem. This is all I'm bring during my sept CO archery hunt, my oct CO rifle hunt, and what I plan on bring to AK next year for a hunt ( with the addition of wadders). If you are backpacking you absolutely do not need more than one shirt, one bottom, or two pairs of socks for a week. If you are car camping bring a change of clothes.

I have buddies that use FL, sitka and Kuiu.. They all like their gear. I use Badlands gear and I can't go wrong with them. Being 14 days out there A couple sets of merino baselayer should be good. As of last year a vest is a must... you can do so much with that. Packable rain gear. Badlands rain gear is quiet and hardy enough to be worn as light weather gear otherwise their Rev line has that cool touch tech which is nice. The Hybrid jacket and paints are bullet proof... windproof and quiet.

For Me:

Good Boots, non-insulated. Well broken in and whatever fits you. I personally don't like full leather for early season.
Gaiters Optional - Godsend when it's wet and you're moving through wet grass
Darn Tough Socks or Similar
Ex Officio Boxer Briefs
Synthetic Pants - Sitka Ascent, Kuiu Attack, First Lite Corrugate Guide
Merino Long Underwear bottoms. I like Kuiu because they're zip off - really really handy to be able to take them off or put them on without taking off your boots.
Light Merino long sleeve top (I've used Kuiu and First Lite here) or shirt like Sitka Ascent
Puffy Jacket - I like Kuiu Kenai here. Love the pit zips and pockets for archery. Quiet for bow hunting.
Hard Shell Rain Pants and Jacket - I'm using Kuiu Chugach NX
Lightweight Gloves - I use merino for shooting and to camo my hands
Ball Cap
Warmer Hat / Beanie

I might bring an extra pair of underwear and socks - but otherwise - that's it for clothing. If I'm back at the truck, I'll have spares and extras.

Can you guys give some name brands of boots for the early season? I know Randy likes kenetrek. I realize you get what you pay for, but are there some that are more affordable?

I second Danners.. I own Danners and Kenetreks. I enjoy both. Danner pronghorn have been good to me.

My advice is don't listen to anyone else on boots :D

Seriously - everyone's feet are so different, try on as many as you can and keep what feels the best. That could mean ordering a bunch from a place that allows returns, and wearing them around the house. You're just out shipping costs. I prefer an uninsulated hiking boot, cordura/gore tex as opposed to leather for the early season.

Crispi, Scarpa, Lowa, Kenetrek, Schnees, Zamberlan, Salomon Quest 4DII GTX to name a few brands off the top of my head.

I am currently trying out the Crispi Thor GTX. So far so good.

I'd also add Asolo boots to Brendan's list and suggest getting some Superfeet or other insoles as they make a big difference when you're on your feet all day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back