PEAX Equipment

Early Sept. Hunting Clothing

I have Sitka, Kuiu, FL, Browning, and Kings...But not in that order.

Warm Weather Gear - I have used Kings Mountain Shadow pattern for years in warm weather hunting. Polyester and XKG line. I love that pattern or Desert Shadow in the sage. They are affordable and have held up during seasons of guiding also. They are my go to layers for sunny days with the gear described below in my pack depending on the forecast.

Cooler Weather - Like Elk Duds spoke about during 2016 archery, as soon as it gets cooler/rainy I will switch straight to FL or Kuiu merino, inner lightweight layers under the King's gear. Or 1/4 zip long sleeve shirts alone. Camo pattern/brand depends on the hunting terrain.

Next layer out - Melanzana out of Leadville, CO, only sells single or 2 tone solid colors, but has amazing midweight hooded fleece layers that I swear by instead of a puffy layer while still hunting. Pricey, but MADE in Leadville. Not sewn and shipped from southeast Asia. One hoody has lasted for 20+ years and no frays. I'm sure there is comparable Brand Name stuff out there that has camo instead of solid. Somebody might be able to help there or add a mid weight merino.

Glassing Layer - I do carry a orange Marmont 650 fill down jacket for glassing sessions. It's technically a real big lightweight puffy, I guess.

Rain - I have used Sitka Clouburst for years and it has held up amazingly well. I once sat on my hypalon knife and cut a hole in the ass. Not fun, but that was the only damage and I wore them daily guiding for 8+ years. Only issues is that the outer layer of material has just worn out and gotten a little fuzzy. Still works like Groe tex should, but doesn;t really breathe. I passed them on to my lady who doesnt hunt as much.
I just bought the FL Seak Fusion rain jacket and am so excited I can't tell you. First piece of new gear in a long while. It rained the other day and couldn't be happier with the performance and breathability.
Can anyone speak to the performance of the FL Boundry pants? I am really interested. Does anyone know if they are developing a "Seak" style 3.5 layer pant or is the boundary just amazing already?

Boots - Asolo and Kenetrek. Both are amazing. Gore tex socks can be a life saver if its gonna rain hard. Don't forget your gaitors!

Packs - Kuiu Ultra 6000 and Icon Pro 1850. Perfect BC setup if you switch the frame for day hunting after packing in.

Anyway, I layer gear like anyone else in this thread, but I found some things that have worked or fit better than others for SW CO. I hope my suggestions help.
Redman's list is awesome. I would research all that stuff and Kings Camo too. http://www.kingscamo.com/ and no I'm not sponsored by them.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Lion cloth made from the ball sacks of bighorn sheep. Lots of face paint. Most important tho is the coyote head hat like the mini dude from the movie "Willow".

Early Season in Colorado. My advice would be to be prepared for anything. I have been snowed on as well as hunted in 80+ degrees! As others have stated, layers are key. There are some days you will wear every piece of clothing (in every combination) in your pack!

Regarding boots...I have Danner. But....a wise man once told me spend the money on things that are between you and the ground. Boots/shoes, mattress, tires, etc. If you're feet are toast so are you. Find something that's comfortable for you and then read up on them from there. I once forgot my gaiters at home. The dew on the ground made that morning really suck.

I wear my Sitka Ascent pants and lightweight Core hoody, or Kuiu Tiburon Pants and Shirt in Northern Colorado at 9000-11000ft during September. It is usually pretty hot, but I always brought my 90% Jacket and Pants for the crisp mornings and cold snaps. Towards the end of the month I might be in just my 90% top and bottoms. Always bring your rain gear too.

I wear my Sitka Ascent pants and lightweight Core hoody, or Kuiu Tiburon Pants and Shirt in Northern Colorado at 9000-11000ft during September. It is usually pretty hot, but I always brought my 90% Jacket and Pants for the crisp mornings and cold snaps. Towards the end of the month I might be in just my 90% top and bottoms. Always bring your rain gear too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonasababy
Back