Yeti GOBOX Collection

Early or late season......that is the question!

mattfly77

After reading different posts on here for the past 3 hours, I decided to just ask the question. I'm going on my 2nd back packing elk solo archery hunt in CO this September, and am racking my brain on when I should go. It's really the last variable I have to decide on my hunt. I've seen people mention it in passing on here but I thought I try and get a thread going to get some good details on why some like the early vs. the late season etc.

I'll tell you what's going on in my mind. Last year I ran into all kinds of hunters, figured I hadn't got back far enough, so I picked up camp, went higher and farther and got away from them......ended up calling a nice 5x5 in. On one hand, I want to beat the pressure this year and go out before muzzy opens....thinking the elk may be a little more relaxed....but I'm sure the rut may not be full in by then....who knows.

Any thoughts on when you hunt and why would be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks so much!

I like the first week of season. Fewer hunters, elk haven't been messed with, and you can still get bulls to bugle. I believe it to be the best chance to tag a public land bull.

6 of one half dozen of the other. First season is usually a little longer. But they may not be talking as much. 2nd season theyve been pressured...but theyre talking more. But towards the end youll have guys in the next season coming in to scout. Check harvest reports. Dont know how in depth they are. Where im going the odds are 5% higher first archery...but it's 5 days longer. Im going to alaska last week of august and back the day before elk season starts. Makes it difficult to drive 24 hours after being gone. So Im going the second season.

I have no problem with either season. Where i go the first season has labor day atv/utv traffic. If i had time on my side im going in the woods for the extra week. Just for the sake of being in the woods.

Are you really running into that many muzzleloader hunters in the backcountry? Where I'm at, because it's a drawn tag taking a number of preference pts. to statistically draw the tag, there just aren't that many out there to be a major concern.
On the other hand, there can be a flurry of eager archery hunters out there in the early season. This is a personal preference question. For me, after the hot Summer weather, I'd rather be doing my hunting/hiking in mid September, enjoying the change of season, and the onset of the Aspen's turning. A glorious time to be afield, only enhanced by the Bulls starting their rut, and more responsive to calling and other tactics that work later in September.

I went earlier last year as well. Ran into all sorts of people. Eventually ran into a lot of muzzy hunters and noticed they really don't stray far from camp.

Either way you will always run into other hunters. I consistently hear Randy say that you must use your learn how use these hunters to your advantage. Know your area well so you can plan accordingly.

I'm planning to archery hunt the last two weeks, hoping to get into some cloudy more fall like weather. Last year it was 80 and sunny everyday where I was. Good luck, let me know if you are hunting around the 22 area ;)

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back