Durfee Hills Diary - MT elk hunt

It was 3:30 when we were back on the rock knob above the bedded elk. We started our daily guessing of when the elk would get out of their beds. Not sure who won any of those, but it made for some distraction and humor. Matt was glassing the south side. I moved to the north, glassing down into the private where we left the bedded elk this morning. They were still there, slightly re-adjusted in their positions favoring shade.

I came back to Matt’s position. He was watching a coyote scavenge on the carcass of my bull. No elk to be heard. None to be seen. Or, at least not on the public. A couple hours passed. I went back over the ridge to see the elk on private now up and milling around. There were actually two good bulls in this group. I ranged them at 580 yards. Given the boundary was only 200 yards below, my exercise was merely to satisfy my interest in how good I can judge distances (not very good).

With only a half hour of light left, I was back at Matt’s rock. Below, two calves emerged. They stopped and started, at a broadside angle, for the course of four hundred yards. They offered Matt plenty chance to fill his cow tag. Very makeable shot. Matt glassed them, identifying them as a bull calf and a female calf, based on the size difference and the lighter color of the bigger calf. I smiled in thinking how experienced hunters keenly extract the subtle nuances that for non-hunters would go unnoticed.

Back at camp, I was feeling a tightening of the noose. We had scouted for a day and a half, hunted for three more days, and still no sighting of an elk that I thought Matt would be excited to shoot on this long-awaited permit. Matt was still upbeat, laughing and providing humor for all of us. A truly great guy to have in an elk camp. Times like this, when unmet expectations rule the day, are the times when you find out what kind of guys are in camp. Matt was unphased.

With daylight still a couple hours away, the alarm rang. Breakfast was scrounged and gear was loaded. Matt’s plan was to get on the north ridge before daylight and listen for any activity. It would put us equidistant to any spot on the west side of the BLM grounds. All we needed was an elk who wanted to be a TV star.

As the sun rose, the reality of the day lowered our expectations. Nothing heard, nothing spotted. We moved west toward the glassing rock where the two calves emerged last night. Within minutes of having the spotter set up, Matt had found three bulls working out the opposite side of the basin, already on private; and they very well could have been on private all week. One cow followed them a little later and by 9:00am the entire flock was out of sight, having crested the ridge way to our south. Again, my expletives did nothing to improve the elk hunting.

I watched a group of nine cows follow an old bull along the public private boundary, eventually making their way out past the west end of the BLM, all the while staying in the safety of private land. Not much one can do in such situation. The elk have the upper hand. Nolan informed that our early starts and late arrivals were seriously impacting his ability to get batteries charged and media transferred. We told him he would have three hours this afternoon, so he better get enough done to make it through the remainder of the hunt. The bird was coming to get us tomorrow at 2:00pm, so we had this evening and tomorrow morning to get Matt an elk.

Boredom and the nicest weather of the trip drove us back to camp by 11:00 am. Almost too hot to take a nap; almost. My snoring work me up at least twice over the next three hours. A sign of good rest. When I crawled from the tent, Matt was heating water and making a sandwich. I proclaimed that tonight would be the night. Matt concurred. Nolan continued sleeping; at least until we kicked the walls of his tent.

We were out at the chosen location before 3:00pm. Each of us sought some shade. Nolan gave me some PSAs and web clip scripts and told me to have them memorized by the time the flat light of late afternoon arrived. I hate scripts. They are usually written by people who don’t hunt like we do, so I end up using “Randyisms” to make them more relevant.

Matt spotted a group of elk bedded less than 200 yards off the boundary of where I shot my bull. If one dialed the spotter back when looking at them, you could see the carcass of my bull in the same picture. There was water on the public, right below them. All they needed to do is get thirsty in this hot sun and Matt might have some shooting. Only cows were in the open, but a bull could easily be in the cuts and timber.

The sun eventually gave us the filming light we needed. While I did the talking head routine, Matt kept an eye on the elk he had spotted. Unfortunately, they headed SW, up a ridge and further away from public. Crap, Matt can’t catch a break. By dark, they had completely vanished, pretty much following the same trail as the three bulls this morning. Before we departed for camp, I spent some time glassing the big private flats to the north. One nice herd was headed due east, staying about a mile north of the boundary. If only hunters were on the private, it would be a 50/50 chance that the elk would spook south to our position. But, the elk continued undisturbed until I could no longer see them in the dark shadows.

I was at a complete loss of what would be a good morning strategy. Matt broke it down into something very simple – Get out of bed, get dressed, shoot an elk. I liked that. Sounded good to me. I was sleeping before the toothpaste taste had left my mouth.

In the darkness of this final morning, I suggested to Matt that I climb the highest ridges to the south. There are some drainages there where a bull could be holed up. I would scour every nook, hoping my effort could bump a bull to the north where Matt would stand between an exiting bull and the sanctuary of private. He agreed. He and Nolan would go to the north ridges and watch for the herd of elk that was feeding east at dark last night, hoping that they might return more southwest on a path that would take them closer to private.

I gave them a half hour head start before starting up the ridges to the south of camp. It doesn’t take long before you gain enough elevation to see everything for miles to the north. I stopped to shed a layer. Before doing so, I glassed the big grass private benches to the north of where Matt was setting up this morning.

Holy crap. That is a good herd of elk. At almost two miles, their movement looked like a trickle of spilled water slowing finding its course on dry dirt. I set up the spotter. I could see three branch antlered bulls. Now, all they needed to do is change their course from WSW to a true SW vector. If so, they would come right to the historic crossing where the new fences are off by a big margin. Given our luck, I held little hope.

Through the spotter, you could see them loafing and eating, rutting and dodging; in no big hurry as they made their way to a morning bed. I tried to find Matt and Nolan, but I suspected they had heard the commotion I could only see and with that, they had dove off the north side of the ridge and headed east in hopes of intercepting this herd. Far north, I could see an even bigger herd on a different ranch. It was a huge herd, even for this area. Watching that herd distracted me for ten minutes.

When I put the spotter back on the close herd Matt might have a chance at, I realized they had taken a new tack. The lead cow had turned more south. Holy crap, if they continue that path and Matt is near the mis-marked corner, he is going to have some shooting. Please lead cow, please; keep going that direction.

In another fifteen minutes, the curve of the mountain started to obscure this herd from my position. I moved to try better my visibility, to little avail. The elk had now fed west of the gap I was looking through. All I could do now is watch of a herd of spooked elk that would tell me Matt had gotten a shot. I waited for the better part of an hour.

Finally, I concluded that I would be best served to move toward camp and start getting ready for our pick up by the chopper. If Matt got a shot, we would need every spare minute to get a bull packed back to camp. It took me about a half hour to get there and instantly start about my business of getting gear organized.

Not sure if I was distracted, or Matt and Nolan are that silent, but they scared the crap out of me when I looked up from a cooler I was organizing and saw two sweating faces looking at me. Please tell me you got one. Nope.

Matt relayed the story. The elk had come right near where the corner is mis-marked, but stayed a little north of the fence. One of the bulls was a very good one; six long tines per beam, with no breakage. The other bull was a bit smaller. Rather than take one of the historic trails to the old bedding grounds on the south side of the new fence, the elk followed just north of the fence, headed straight west, with Matt and Nolan sneaking along beside them.

Eventually the herd found another spot of sparse cover and set it down for their mid-day snooze. Matt could only watch a few hundred yards away, wishing for what could have been. Matt gave his best “ah shucks” and within a minute was back to finding the silver linings of this cloudy development. My words were not quite so pleasant.

Yeah, I know a landowner can do what they want on their land. I will defend that right to the ends of time. Yet, when the one corner that is off and it is the best of the historical crossings and is off by a long distance, my ire starts to rise. No one has enough time, breath, or logic to change my opinion that this was done to impair the hunting on the public land; to make a point.

Matt still has four weeks of season to fill his tag. I hope he shoots the biggest elk in the unit. If fine character and pleasurable demeanor are what determines what size of bull a hunter shoots, Matt will shoot a whopper.

Thanks, Matt. It was a great week. I only wish things had not changed to this degree.

Wow, what a hunt. Thank you for recording this. As always, you all hunted hard right up to the end.

It looks like some landowner is pretty riled up. That "misplaced" fence took some planning.

Wow, quite a story! Best of luck to you Matt!

Thanks for taking the time to write up the story. Sounds like you did indeed get very lucky to be able to hang a tag on the bull you ended up getting.

Amazing how a 5 strand fence can indeed dramatically affect elk movement and patterns.

Has there been any update/announcements from the BLM (surveying crew) on this whole situation?

Randy: Was there any eveidence that you saw that the survey crew had been there??

I got a feeling things are going to get pretty quiet on this whole fence location situation unless someone pushes the issue. KAT??????

Has there been any update/announcements from the BLM (surveying crew) on this whole situation?

Randy: Was there any eveidence that you saw that the survey crew had been there??

I got a feeling things are going to get pretty quiet on this whole fence location situation unless someone pushes the issue. KAT??????

I did not see the BLM survey crew out there. But, I was only in a small section, furthest away from the areas Wingman provided pictures of. They could have been working further to the south or the east and I would have never encountered them.

If the BLM sweeps this aside, it would be problematic for their credibility. I doubt they will let it go without requiring some corrective measures. If so, that would be very troubling.

They are really making this into something. I am sure the brothers are not concerned about how they look in the public eye.

Does Team Elk intend to highlight any part of this story in their episode? It seems like a great opportunity to highlight some people's efforts to infringe on hunter's rights on public land.

They are really making this into something. I am sure the brothers are not concerned about how they look in the public eye.

After talking with another landowner that borders them while taking the wife antelope hunting Sunday--- they have not made any friends with the others around them.

This landowner made a point to say he hoped the BLM did not back down from the "Bleeping Texas money!"

Once again Randy, way to persevere through all of this. One thing that caught my attention is it seems the elk are already changing moving habits due to the new fencing and disturbances. I wonder if that will change back at all?

Cowboy, I am still on this. Had to take a few days before working on this map to get my house back in order (new scanner came as well - needed this for some of the documents) and ready for winter. Seemed like I was coming back from one meeting after another and the trips, not fully unpacking and heading off somewhere else, becoming chaotic trying to find things. Now that is all done, I have ground up a bunch of cocoa nibs (doping theobromine - organic dark chocolate) and ready to get back to the interactive map with photos, videos and documentation.

Yesterday I got a copy of the Final Environmental Assessment for the Snowies-Little Belts Grazing Permit Renewal that involves this grazing lease (157 pages). I printed all the pages that involved the N Bar and this lease, as well as Bald Butte, the land condition, riparian areas, sheep grazing, etc.

For example, the grazing lease says on the front page that there is Free Use Sheep Grazing Is Authorized In Accordance With 43 CFR 4130.5 (B) (3) For The Control Of Leafy Spurge. This sheep use must be applied for annually, may occur for up to 1 month between 5/15 and 7/15 - 900 sheep. The Errata of the EA states, "Under Proposed Action: Add to other terms and conditions 'Free use sheep grazing is not authorized under the grazing permit and must be applied for annually. Proposed sheep will be included in the terms and conditions of the annual grazing application; authorization will be facilitated through signature and return of the application.' "

According the charts and such, the N Bar Allotment (Durfees) and nearby Bald Butte (Helicopter) do not meet the Upland Health Standard. Durfees doesnt have water, so no riparian standard but Bald Butte does and it is listed as not meeting the Riparian Standard - livestock caused. I wanted some of these documents available so that people could see more of what is involved in this area.

The fence line was almost dead on, as far as how it ran east-to-west, forming the northern most boundary on this west section of the BLM. That was comforting to see that this east-west boundary was +/- a few feet of what it showed on our map chips. Either the fence crew used the same map chips and GPS technology, or the GIS info was very close to what the true boundary is, or both.

There was one big exception. An exception that happens to be at the best elk crossing in this part of the BLM land. At that point, the private land fence line is way off from the GPS/chips. It encroaches by 400-500’ on the BLM and in the process, looks to divert elk from the normal crossing where elk love to go to the prime bedding on public land. The construction of the fence along the top of a small coulee and its location being way on to BLM, seemed to funnel the elk west. Or, at least that is what the tracks along the fence appeared to show. If the elk were funneled west, rather than their historic southern route, they would have no reason to bed in the thick public timber, rather they could find shade/shelter in the sparse private timber as they moved west and stayed on the north side of the fence.
:
:
By noon, we had made most of our loop. In an area where two years ago a fence was built and encroached on public by over 500’, that new fence was torn down and reconstructed almost exactly where the GPS showed the boundary. Even though the “No trespassing” signs were left standing on the posts that formed the old incorrect boundary, it was nice to see they had went so far as to remove the two-year old fence back to the real boundary. That made it even more curious as to why/how they could be so far off in the other location where the elk cross.

I am no longer curious... seems to be a settled issue regarding who these people are.

Sen. Testers' office called me last week indicating they had been informed by the BLM that the survey had begun the previous week, Thur. , 23 October.

Last edited:
Sen. Testers' office called me last week indicating they had been informed by the BLM that the survey had begun the previous week, Thur. , 23 October.

I was told by Mel Lloyd of BLM on the 22nd, posted to the Wilks thread that the Cadastral would begin the next day, the 23rd. She estimated a couple weeks. The professional survey guys mentioned 5-10 days. So in a few days they might be complete if not done already. When I was there on the 24th I saw their truck and the trailer (took pictures) they had the atv on, but the atv was not there when I passed by about 2:00pm, just some fresh orange peels on the ground and tracks. I think Wingman saw them driving, if I remember correctly, but not surveying.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back