Dumb-ass gets his bear...

mtnboy

Yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaw! I finally got that lil furball I’ve been chasing...Just in time, my wife cut me off a couple weeks ago and blue isn’t my colour....

Here's loooong version (I grew up chasin bears in my back yard, but this is the first one I've ever shot)... I’ve been onto this Brute's favorite salad bar for a couple of weeks now and have had my arrows within 40 yards of him a couple of times, but he’s been too smart to give me a shot.

I changed my reservation by half an hour and beat him to the restaurant…..:D I got to my spot and set up for a 30 yard shot for his arrival...a 200 x 80 yard clearing in a drainage coming out of a 7,000 ft snowy peak. The wind blows across from the north and Ive always seen him coming in him from the north side (which I thought was strange for a wise bear, but I learned why) I turned my head and there he was sneaking up the east end of the clearing coming up from the south side. (aahhh...he normally checks the wind on south side of the clearing, then gets a view from the hill on the east before making his entrance from the north) My DUMB-ass has luckily gotten me there late, after he checks the south side or I never would have seen him...

As he fed across the hill to the east, I got anxious and tried to close the 100 yard gap. He caught my movement in the open and stared at me frozen in camo, till my legs cramped……he wasn’t getting away this time and I didn’t give it up...but he knew something wasn’t right and bolted into the dark cedars anyways...ffffff...... then I heard a branch snap coming my way...whew, his stomach was doing the thinking tonight.

...back to my spot...he appears from the forest on the north side at 30 yards.... he’s looking right at me, my bow is on the ground and my rifle is across my lap....he sniffs, stares, steps, & repeats until he’s at 15 yards, (gulp....couldn’t get a tack up my butt with a jackhammer....
)....if he charges it’d be tough to beat him to the draw....but I’m not blowin’ this....

He calmed and started to feed down the salad bar in front of me at 15 yards, he goes behind the tree I get the rifle up....WHEW, finally looking THROUGH the scope....he saw something and bolts 5 yards and looks....fffffff......back to the salad....I think about the bow.....fuggit....quartering away....BBAMMM 220 grains of 300 Weatherby mag. (I took your advice Moosie) Double lunger into the far shoulder – 22 yards……tries to get up...gurgle....done in 30 seconds!!

Yeaaaah!!! (that rush was definitely worth the blue balls) :D !! But I think that glacial water did something to him ‘cause a serious case of ground shrink set in about then....DOH! :confused:

Thank you fer yer support! Yep, my stones definitely got bigger with that little cannon on my team... I'd have been real quiet without it at 15 yards....(I think I woulda passed out) :eek:

Here's the pics.... I had my buddy, the local king redneck, who's been hunting cougar and bear hunting with his hounds for 15 years check out the bear..... his report - old boar, 7-8 years old (judging by the recession on his gums), a bit of monkey face from fights and rubbing his head, just under 5'6" nose-tail, about 260+ lbs, with a big coconut of a head....(thought he was a monster, going on 350lbs...)

Here's a link to few photos of the hunt: http://community.webshots.com/album/16818120aAkhhVDzbl

and here's my bald, fat, old, midget..... I like him... :D
bear-monk-gm.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-01-2002 15:15: Message edited by: mtnboy ]</font>

Moosie - Thanx for your help last night.... you seem like a good chit....the mask........noone turns me in for that reward, unless we split it....;)

HAHA.. Every picture I've sen of you.. you've been wearign a mask. You should change your name to "MASK BOY" :D :D

Nice Pics man !!!! A fuggin 260+ bear is AWSOME .. for around here at least !!!!!

>>>We just green scored his head and he did have a big coconut....
Scored 18.25" which would just squeak into the Pope & Young Records.... I'm kinda kickin' myself, but.....he'll probably shrink out of the book as he dries.... :D
just a lucky, stumblin' greenhorn.... :rolleyes:

Well, it was a great hunt and the most fun I've had in the spring in a long time... :D Back to reality....now I get to spend the next few months digging out the basement and painting the house... Cheers!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-03-2002 11:20: Message edited by: mtnboy ]</font>

Roumor has it you can put the skull in a freezer to keep it from shrinking untill the 60 or 90 days goes by... I'm not one to know, BUT Roumor has it thats how it's done
:D

Its a drying period, right. What if you let in dry in a tub of water for 60 days, it might swell. They probably would not like that.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back