PEAX Equipment

Duck in Distress call

van franke

I got home this afternoon and since my archery deer is closed right now and my wife is deer hunting tomorrow I had just enough time to run out for a stand. I grabbed all my clothes and gun but couldnt find my calls. They must be packed in a box somewhere from our move three months ago. Found a duck call though and figured that would work. Headed out of the house across the road 600 yards into a winter wheat field. To the north was tall grass with a fence row between them. The fence row was 100 yards from my spot in the field and is a major highway for coyotes to the washouts to the east. I laid down and pulled the call out to get things rolling. Now I know what your thinking what is this guy doing with a duck call. Is this the new craze the duck in distress call. No i pulled the top off to expose the reed and use it as an open reed rabbit call, you just have to find the sweet spot. I let out some soft wimpers for about a minute and sat tight for the next five. Nothing, I let loose with another cadence a little louder. Two minutes after I stopped I spotted him coming over the horizon 150 yards away to the east. Its been cold here the last three days and he was obviously hungry.

coyotedec40901.jpg

coyotedec40902.jpg

coyotedec40903.jpg

coyotedec40904.jpg

I snaped pics as fast as I could and as he was reaching 50 yards I decideed I better grab the gun and end it. I found him quickly in the crosshairs and let out a bark to stop him. He keept right on trotting,

coyotedec40905.jpg

I let out another one, same effect nothing. I yelled "HEY" he keept moving right along I finally pulled the trigger on him as he started to walk at thirty yards. The bullet hit him a little back but he went down I grabbed the camera to snap away.

coyotedec40906.jpg

Then he jumped up and started running away, I quickly grabed the gun again and found him in the crosshairs. He stoped at the fenceline to figure out what happened and boom he went down for good. I laid there and chuckled a little bit, what an awsome last minute hunt.
coyotedec40908.jpg

awesome shots! one of, if not the best post I've seen in a long time regarding predators.

Congrats! Keep the pics coming!

CHIiiiiiiittttt thats Cool. I want to get out and hunt them tomorrow. YAh, I thin kI'll do that. Awesome pics and Motivation. It usually takes a lot for me to get out and hunt ;)

NICE !!!! Truely neat !

Great yarn...and proof to boot! I've been passing this thread...dumbazz me, thought it was about ducks.:D

The coyotes are thick this year. We saw nine Saturday morning out deer hunting and this one stuck its head out of the sage at 300.

coyotedec50901.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back