Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Drury dropped by PSE makes switch to Mathews

I watch very few outdoor tv shows, finding much more interesting stuff on youtube.com. I'll catch a few here and there and enjoy some, can't turn others off fast enough. Never saw the Drury show, however, I would never begrudge a person making a living. If that living includes endorsement deals, go for it. Successful businesses maximize revenue generation and constantly explore expansion opportunities.

Last edited:
I believe the vast majority of the television hunting show "celebrities" would look the fool and get their ass handed to them if they were hunting in real situations on public land. There is no way they could compete with a looooooooong list of individuals from this site. In fact, I once pitched the idea for a hunting show where normal, everyday hunters went head to head with TV celebrities...public land, no guides, same tag, same unit, etc. Lets see who consistently produces and who doesn't. Who here would put their money on some clown like Waddell over Greenhorn or Buzz? Now that is something I WOULD pay to see! The list of excuses from Wadell and the ilk would be truly priceless.

In case anyone is still unclear, I don't think much of TV hunting "celebrities". Maybe one percent of them are the real deal and we know who they are. The rest are an absolute joke. I could give a $^!# less what bow they shoot, camo they wear or fart muffler the think is most effective at covering up noise and offensive odors!
There was a group of producers pitching this exact thing at total archery challenge. It is supposed to be happening this fall. Forget the name but the application fee just to apply was $250 per 2man team I believe.

I rarely post, but I’m a regular reader here for at least three years. I’m not a big hunting show guy, but I’ve seen enough to know that the Drurys are really, really good at what they do. I have no doubt that they sell a lot of product. Much like Randy to his audience.

I think it’s fair to say that western oriented hunters don’t regard the eastern and midwestern whitetail hunters at the same level that they regard each other. Maybe a bias against shows based on primarily on whitetail hunting.

I'm glad my mind is not cluttered with remembering who has who in the Fantasy Hunting World anymore. In the last 10 years I gave up all my subscriptions to the general hunting and Bowhunting magazines (Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, Petersens' Hunting and Bowhunting etc....I dropped the Outdoor channel package from my tv, and I became a lot more happy with my hunting. I stopped comparing myself to someone who killed a new buck every week, and I quit trying to get better performance through aggressive spending.

Now I will grant that for many years it fueled my fires and motivated me to hone my skills. But no more.

When you realize that those shows and magazines are simply a funnel to force feed you advertisements it loses its luster.

I'm glad Rinella and Randy are out there and seem to echo my sentiments on hunting for the most part.

Last edited:
I usually enjoy watching Drury"s shows . When they buy a new farm and show all of the changes they make . including great drone footage of how to make it into a big buck mecca . Other than the spin off show " critical Mass " where part of the competition is shooting each other with blunts . The brothers are sharp business men making a living doing what they love .

I'm glad my mind is not cluttered with remembering who has who in the Fantasy Hunting World anymore. In the last 10 years I gave up all my subscriptions to the general hunting and Bowhunting magazines (Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, Petersens' Hunting and Bowhunting etc....I dropped the Outdoor channel package from my tv, and I became a lot more happy with my hunting. I stopped comparing myself to someone who killed a new buck every week, and I quite trying to get better performance through aggressive spending.

Now I will grant that for many years it fueled my fires and motivated me to hone my skills. But no more.

When you realize that those shows and magazines are simply a funnel to force feed you advertisements it loses its luster.

I'm glad Rinella and Randy are out there and seem to echo my sentiments on hunting for the most part.
This couldn't be any more true.

Going on about 2 years ago I "unfollowed" or "unliked" just about every social media account that has to do with any production of hunting shows or hunting content and my I am very happy with the decision.
One day I looked at it and realized that everyone around every corner was trying to sell me something, and I decided that I did not enjoy being pitched something every time I look at something to try and bring myself a little joy or entertainment.
Whether it be a new bow, new gun, new camo, fitness supplements (don't even get me started on fitness supplements:rolleyes:), I got sick of it. Now most of my social media folks I follow are independent outdoors photographers, which in my opinion, put out far better content than any professional production teams.
I won't knock folks who want to make their money in the hunting industry by pimping products, gear, etc. but I have piece of mind that when I purchase something I am doing it on my own accord. To me that means something I guess.

This couldn't be any more true.

Going on about 2 years ago I "unfollowed" or "unliked" just about every social media account that has to do with any production of hunting shows or hunting content and my I am very happy with the decision.
One day I looked at it and realized that everyone around every corner was trying to sell me something, and I decided that I did not enjoy being pitched something every time I look at something to try and bring myself a little joy or entertainment.
Whether it be a new bow, new gun, new camo, fitness supplements (don't even get me started on fitness supplements:rolleyes:), I got sick of it. Now most of my social media folks I follow are independent outdoors photographers, which in my opinion, put out far better content than any professional production teams.
I won't knock folks who want to make their money in the hunting industry by pimping products, gear, etc. but I have piece of mind that when I purchase something I am doing it on my own accord. To me that means something I guess.
dilly dilly

The Drurys have been in the game longer than anyone else save Primos I would say. In the pre-YouTube era their turkey and deer DVDs were big sellers and I enjoyed watching them. I can't say I watch as much of their content now - but there is so much great content out now that's not necessarily a criticism of them.

If you listen to podcasts with either of the Drury brothers you'll realize pretty quickly they know deer. Yes, they hunt highly managed farms - but I'm pretty sure their knowledge would translate to public land, etc. pretty well.

If I was PSE I would take John Dudley over DOD every day of the week. He's becoming bigger and bigger as more people stop watching Deer Farming 101.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back