Dr Valerius Geist

I don't know the guy well, but I know Rinella likes to quote him a lot.

Weird pic to celebrate a wildlife researcher. Those ewes don't look very wild.

Although somewhat dated, one of the better books I've owned. Val was the epitome of wildlife biologists. RIP Dr. Geist.

He was a complicated man, like most. I remember receiving a very kind note from him relative to one specific group from UT that he really disliked, after I ran my mouth in some story. I could appreciate where he was coming from on all issues, even if I didn't like his conclusions.

That is sad news, what a giant in his field.

Regarding, some of his views on wolves and such, time will prove him, right or wrong. There is no shame in being wrong about something either.

Sad news.
I had good the fortune to meet him one day in Victoria at the BC Wildlife offices. I sat and talked critters with him & the then head of wildlife services,drinking coffee for an hour. Total fluke meeting.
I received letters from him for 2 yrs after asking me questions,as a layman, about Tule elk habits I would notice locally.
Very interesting guy.

When I was Chair of the Board of Directors at Orion - The Hunters Institute, Val was on the Board. I was the lucky fly on the wall who got to listen to Val, Poz, Kerasote, Atwill, Nelson, Ewing, Tantillo, and others talk about hunting heritage, science, management, the human element, and our collective behaviors. Val's voice carried a lot of weight with the ability to connect science, management, and human behavior in single sentences.

With him passing, Poz and Richard Nelson passing in the past two years, it is painfully obvious that some of our conservation giants are aging out. Sorry to hear this. His imprint is significant. We are all beneficiaries of his work and his resolve to say what often needed to be said.

When I was Chair of the Board of Directors at Orion - The Hunters Institute, Val was on the Board. I was the lucky fly on the wall who got to listen to Val, Poz, Kerasote, Atwill, Nelson, Ewing, Tantillo, and others talk about hunting heritage, science, management, the human element, and our collective behaviors. Val's voice carried a lot of weight with the ability to connect science, management, and human behavior in single sentences.

With him passing, Poz and Richard Nelson passing in the past two years, it is painfully obvious that some of our conservation giants are aging out. Sorry to hear this. His imprint is significant. We are all beneficiaries of his work and his resolve to say what often needed to be said.
The bolded part is so far gone, I don't know what it will take to get that back.

I don't see anyone within the state and federal land management agencies or State game and fish agencies that are willing to put themselves out there very far in saying what needs to be said. Let alone taking the actions that need to happen. These used to be admirable traits that were desired, now its take your marching orders, fall in line, don't rock the boat, and what ever you do, don't question any of it. Super frustrating.

As to Val...I didn't always agree with everything he said or proclaimed, but at the same time a majority of what he said was pretty hard to argue with. His knowledge and experience will be missed, but he left a massive foot-print behind him.

I always smile when I see a Richard Nelson reference. I was fortunate enough to spend several months traveling around Tasmania with him--Incredible teacher, better person.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back