Dove hunting..

The Hedgehog

To heck with big game hunting. A friend of mine just returned from Argentina, now that sounds like a fun time - and I'm not talking about the birds. But he did say he shot 780 birds in four hours one day. ..and that kind of action is not uncommon at all. Apparently somebody was there a few weeks ago that shot almost 6000 birds in a single day.. WOW!

That's a lot of shooting! That would be 195 birds/hour, 3.25 birds/minute. You'd probably need a couple of shotguns and somebody to do the reloading for you.

The only time I'm ever decent at shooting doves is when they're perched. :D

You'd probably need a couple of shotguns and somebody to do the reloading for you.

Yup! He had multiple shotguns and a "bird boy" who reloaded and handed him the guns, and had a "clicker" counting how many birds went down.

I've thought that would be a great trip. Couple I've looked into aren't all that terribly expensive once you get past the flight trip. Might be fun to swing over and check out Carnivale as well... :D

Hell, why don't they just poison the birds? Sounds like birdacide to me.

Argentina Doves

The expense of the trip isn't the accomodations, licensing, airfare or the tip to your bird boy ($$ there GH) but in the ammo.

Figure it out. Most hunts are 3 days of shooting. How many shells you got to shoot for 780 doves...at least 780 and I'd say more along the lines of 1500 or even more.

At $10 / box (prices down there) you're talking $0.40 a piece. Shoot 780 of them and you burned $312. 1500 would be $600.

I haven't been but have researched quite a bit and would love to go someday, just plan on taking some cash for shells (or lots of self discipline!!!), and expect to burn about $1200-$1500 worth of shells in three days.

Bet you can't shoot just one.....:D

~AO

"The expense of the trip isn't the accomodations, licensing, airfare or the tip to your bird boy ($$ there GH) but in the ammo."

You forgot to include the cougar permit fee in the expense of the trip, AO.

ao- One trip I place I saw at the Expo last year included 4000 shells in the $1800 fee for three days. I'm guessing that would be a good start... :D

The dove hunting there is fun, but in my opinion there is no challenge to shooting into the middle of a flock and watching three or four birds drop at a time...forget the dove hunting go to Argentina for the duck and goose hunting. May/June is prime time for it. By going specifically for ducks and geese we still were able to hunt doves, pigeon and upland in the evenings. I got the invite to go again this may, but an trip to Africa kind of got in the way. hump

Attachments

• ducks.JPG
    ducks.JPG
    589.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Geese.JPG
    Geese.JPG
    593.1 KB · Views: 86
Back