Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Don’t Procrastinate or waste opportunities to hunt

He was right. I delivered a prisoner to Leavenworth military prison once. That place scared me ... and I was a cop.
I was not going to do 10 yrs hard labor when an officer was way out of line. 2 consecutive combat tours was not beneath me. 24 months later I was home. I declined the promotion to Ensign, and never talked to the Navy again.
That officer got demoted & wound up getting fragged at another base.

I am in Colorado west of Colorado Springs. If you end up hunting anywhere within a couple of hours from here keep me posted. If you get something down I'll come help you with a few other friends. My normal hunting buddies have all bowed out for this fall. I have chatted with a younger first time elk hunter who also has no one to hunt with. We have located an outfitter who will do a camp with just 2 of us and he put me in contact with this fellow. Haven’t signed on the dotted line yet as I still have feelers out at other Outfiffers Im hoping to hear from before deciding. Hopefully I will have enough help getting one out if I get lucky

I am pushing 62, type ll diabetic with arrhythmia of the heart for over 10 years and assorted other aches and pains that come with aging and hard work. My last DIY elk hunt was 2 years ago that required me dragging a two wheeled cart 3 1/2 miles up an old logging road then hanging a duffle with my second weeks supplies in a tree to keep it away from bears while donning a 65lb pack and walking uphill another 2 1/2 miles uphill to our spike camp at around 10,200’. Im not in great shape by any means but good enough shape to continue archery elk hunting as it has gotten into my blood and I live to do it. My point of this is to say, don’t just sit back and think about getting out and hunting, do it. Before long you too will get old and be unable to pursue your dreams, especially those that require physical fitness. You never know when life will throw you a curveball and you’re done hunting. My time is coming, but Im not willing to give in yet, not until I prove to myself that I just cannot climb those mountains any more. For those of you have dreamed of elk hunting but for some reason cant seem to make it happen I can’t stress enough, you need to stop procrastinating and make it happen. I regret that my elk hunting days are slowly slipping away. But not quite yet, even though my buddies can’t go this fall I am trying to find a good OTC archery elk drop camp style hunt even if I have to go it alone.
I'm in my early 40's now and I wish I had gotten this advice in my 20s. Obviously back then money was an issue, but I wish I hadn't been such a tight ass back then and had been building points or gaining experience. Working manual labor early in life has brought in the aches and pains for me as well. The key is knowing my limitations and not pushing too hard when I'm out there. The mind is willing but the body just can't do the same things anymore. I just plug along at my pace all day and try to make it happen. Props to you for continuing to hunt into your 60's and health conditions. I hope I can be doing the same when I get to that age.

Be 65 this year, 42 years in business. The equipment we run has gotten soooo much easier on my back, just too late. Lower back issues, neck issues, blah,blah blah.
I just suck it up & keep hunting. Had an mri recently, torn rotator, gonna try to nurse it until after a November hunt, then surgery.
Been so spoiled the last couple of years, wife hunts with me, just enjoy the company.

Be 65 this year, 42 years in business. The equipment we run has gotten soooo much easier on my back, just too late. Lower back issues, neck issues, blah,blah blah.
I just suck it up & keep hunting. Had an mri recently, torn rotator, gonna try to nurse it until after a November hunt, then surgery.
Been so spoiled the last couple of years, wife hunts with me, just enjoy the company.
I've been putting a torn rotator off for a few years now. I just reduced the poundage on my bow and keep going. Probably not smart but I hate the idea of surgery!

I've been putting a torn rotator off for a few years now. I just reduced the poundage on my bow and keep going. Probably not smart but I hate the idea of surgery!
Yeah, met with a surgeon, the tear is 6 centimeters,guess thats not bad. Busy now with work, can lay it up after Dec. Hate that idea also.

Yeah, met with a surgeon, the tear is 6 centimeters,guess thats not bad. Busy now with work, can lay it up after Dec. Hate that idea also.
It has been maybe 8-10 years ago when I had a torn rotator cuff fixed and at the same time and same are had tennis elbow surgery and impingement surgery done all at once. All better now but I think it was nearly a year before I got back into original form. I missed 8 weeks of work on that one. This getting old shit really sucks!

It has been maybe 8-10 years ago when I had a torn rotator cuff fixed and at the same time and same are had tennis elbow surgery and impingement surgery done all at once. All better now but I think it was nearly a year before I got back into original form. I missed 8 weeks of work on that one. This getting old shit really sucks!
That recovery time is what worries me the most. Luckily it doesn't hurt anymore, but that is probably a bad thing LOL

That recovery time is what worries me the most. Luckily it doesn't hurt anymore, but that is probably a bad thing LOL
Mine would quit hurting too as long as I babied it and was careful to not make certain motions that caused me to aggravate it I was OK. Every now and then I would do something that would bump that tear and hurt like hell for awhile. I think it depends where the tear is too and if you can avoid tweaking it too. Luckily I was able to put mine off until Jan so I made it through hunting season

Words of wisdom, I am pushing 72, 3 rt shoulder surgeries such cannot use rt arm for any serious lifting. Artificial not available due to damage, left same, severe stenosis and arthritis in back. I wished I hunted more often for elk younger but was always next year. I bought a CanAm Defender this year to help me along, I hope. Still can pull back 55# and shoot well with bow but the inability to carry for distance is now off table. At 6'4" @250 I use to carry whatever I wanted before stenosis and shoulders but not now. Life creeps up on you fast. If you have a chance, take it, tomorrow may NOT be another day or chance. That is life.

Family obligations, jobs and money always will be there as factor but I strongly suggest you find a way when an opportunity arises. Heck, just look at WY 90/10, it could be across more states and become real difficult to get a NR license.

Hunts are memories and I hope you all generate lots of them!

I was 47 when I had a heart attack in 2015.

Not so easy to just say I’m going to climb a hill over 8000’ anymore.

An elk hunt has always been a dream, especially being from Minnesota…

But I can’t even get guides to talk with me anymore.
Hell with that! See if your AMI counts for a special limited mobility access tag. It could work to your benefit. If not then continue as if it’s not a limiting factor.
Randy had one three years before you did and he’s shot appropriately several dozen elk from then until now. All of we who live long enough get busted up along the way.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back