Caribou Gear

Does the price of fuel impact your hunting plans?

No.

A friend and I had a little convo about the price of gas the other day.
I am fairly young (30) and made a joke that complaining/commenting on the price of gas is something older generations do. I can't remember ever really having an real concern about prices of gas and it's something I rarely ever talk about with friends. On the other hand, I can't drive past a gas station with my dad (62) without him at least mentioning the price or comparing it to the last town.
Is this really a generational thing? I know I haven't lived through any rationing or anything like that and in my lifetime and have had fairly stable prices. I can recall seeing $4-$5/gal at times but maybe I was too young for it to matter.

It is what it is...

On the other hand I drive a 3/4 ton ford with a v10. Obviously not worried about gas prices lol.

Might be generational? I remember gas for well under a dollar a gallon. It seems like the lowest I remember was southern Wyoming. The highest I remember was paying $5 a gallon for diesel in the mid 2000s (07?).

As to the OPs question, no it likely won’t affect my plans, other than maybe bird hunting closer to home when possible.

I am much more likely to leave my toy hauler at my friends in Wyoming for a month or two instead of pulling it back home when fuel is $4 a gallon. Might decide to bring a tent instead of the toy hauler if fuel is that high as well. Wouldn't change whether I was going on the hunt though.

The pain in the pocketbook is more than double pulling a trailer for me. 8 mpg instead of 18 mpg pulling my trailer vs. not. Not a big deal at $2 fuel, but at $4 fuel it starts to get pricey.

If fuel prices jump and things get somewhat back to normal from a COVID perspective the number of used travel trailers hitting the market will be amazing.

If it got back to the $4/gal or more I may pare back to one trip a year or do a combo hunt or something. My average trip logs about 4000 miles so at 18mph, that's approx. 225 gallons per trip.

hasn't yet, don't think it will this fall

when thinking about hunting places that will require a lot of gas it's generally the non resident tag price that's going to be the determining factor

Yes, My biggest business cost outside labor is fuel. We drive about 100k miles a year and in the past fuel has certainly played a role in how profitable we can be which directly effects how much and where we hunt. If 25,000 in yearly fuel costs became 50,000 for 250k a year company thats one hell of a hunt or hunts I could have gone on.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back