Does it matter? Does the number change my mind? Question to myself.

mtmiller

Anywhere MT. Drive up to the BMA box and there is a 160" (MD) standing around 8 does 200 yards away and oblivious to anything on Thanksgiving Day. Do I kill it and then open the gate to drag it back to the pickup? If it was the same buck a couple miles from motorized access and I have a pack on my back and likely the headlamp still on my forehead, do I make the same decision? I have thoughts and they may have changed as I have aged. I just want to stir the pot. Maybe NR vs R can be thrown in as well.

With this crowd the answer is going to be yes and where can I find that. I wouldn’t but I might try to chase it to safety, they really are dumb that time of year.

160" really?? You need a much meatier pot to stir, this one is all taters.

Honest answer. Not trying to make a logical case. Feel free to rake me over the coals. I'm on my fourth or fifth moscow mule and the wife has beat me 4 games in a row at scrabble and I can take it.

I am a resident, and quite literally 95%+ of my hunts take place in the general districts of western Montana and have for 25 years, so a 160 inch deer is a big one.

On Thanksgiving day you would probably see me shoot that deer within sight of the BMA box if I could do it legally. I'd chalk it up as a stroke of good luck and a gift from the Hunting Gods with only a couple days left to hunt, and yes, the fact that in hundreds of miles of hunting over the last 4 or 5 years I haven't seen a 160" mule deer buck figures into that. In my head when I hear this scenario, I am in eastern MT, because eastern MT is a damn smorgasboard compared to so much of western MT. If I were miles from motorized access I would shoot it too, and would prefer that and would feel more satisfied and pleased, because I would have experienced the type of hunt that I like best and the kind I likely would have been shooting for when signing into that BMA. But I can't deny that I also still feel a blood lust come hunting season when I see a deer that I would be willing to shoot, as amateur as that may sound.

Though I hate talking about the value of a deer in inches, my answer does change the smaller that deer gets, and so in overgeneralized terms there is probably a gray area 20-ish inches in size roughly between 130-150" where I may not be so sure anymore.

And just to be inconsistent between logic and theoretical deed, if a statewide proposal came along to end hunting season for mule deer 4 weeks before Thanksgiving, I would support it wholeheartedly.

If I’m a NR from Minnesota and I’m in the right region I pull out the AR and grease the whole herd..

Ok but seriously, If it was a whitetail, in a heartbeat... but not a mule, just wouldn’t feel right about it..

BMA, single day hunt. I'm pretty sure I would.
Parking for my multi day back country adventure... maybe? Heh, odd as it sounds, I dig the adventure more so than the hunt itself and that would be my internal contention.

As mentioned - all based on legal setting and if it was to punch the ticket via archery or rifle and cut the season in half, I'd be all for that as well. I might be a tad more inclined to thwack that 160 though ;)

Two hundred yards from the truck? No way. I would chase him a couple miles over two ridges and then shoot him so I could butcher with the gutless method and pack him on my back.

Get serious. The real question no one wants to ask is, "Mirror rest or across a fence post?":rolleyes:;)

Totally depends on how I feel the day I see it. If I liked the look of the buck then, yep. I've walked enough miles without finding a deer to pass up a buck I would shoot just because he was too close to the parking area.

Thought on this a little. The number of the score doesn’t matter to me as much as the location on the map does. 200 yards from the sign in box and I’m passing.

I wouldn't shoot the 160 anywhere, any time. If he was 180, I would like to say no, but I might be lying to you and me. A 160 buck on a bma in the south west would be a unicorn and when I let him go I would expect him to die that same day.

Edit..If he was 180 I would shoot. Gift horse and all that.

Last edited:
I’ve killed more old bucks than big bucks, and a 160” buck would be a personal best. I have also walked enough deer-less miles in my life to not look a gift buck in the mouth. We do live on that meat every year after all. If I’m satisfied with my season at that point, I probably would. If I wasn’t ready to be done yet, I would not. Every season is unique in its opportunities and challenges, so who is to say?

It would be exceedingly rare that I still had a tag that late though. I like to be done before the November crowds if possible. Shooting one from the truck is not high on my list of satisfying hunts either.

I think I was fourteen the last time I pulled the trigger on a 160, so the simple answer is I am not pulling the trigger.
If it was a buck I wanted I am shooting if I can do so in a safely. I have shot some much better bucks in similar situations. Not as rewarding as hiking back in and packing them out though. For me I like to have a history with the deer. Most of the better bucks I have taken I have seen many times, picked up their sheds etc.

I like to put hunting hours and boot miles in. Not the most efficient way to hunt - I just enjoy the experience. I’m more inclined to take a gimme shot later in the season after I’m tired and I’ve had other sightings and encounters leading up to it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back