Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Does it matter? Does the number change my mind? Question to myself.

I have also walked enough deer-less miles in my life to not look a gift buck in the mouth. We do live on that meat every year after all.
I also live on deer meat. Three doe tags still sitting on my counter. I am not shooting a dink buck just to say I filled my A-tag so I could make it through the year, but that is a different conversation.

Not saying I would or wouldn’t because every situation is a little different.. but for the guys that said they’d pass, how far away from the truck do You have to be to Shoot the buck? Let’s say you stop get your pack on And hike 25 yards then see him is that far enough? Is it 100 yards?
It has less to do with the size or location and more to do with the late November for me at least. It simply isn’t right having a statewide general rut hunt. I could care less what people shoot but seeing deer that vulnerable with no limitations pisses me off.

Does it matter? I don't think it usually matters to me, based on how I've made some of my shoot/don't shoot decisions in the past.

Does the number change my mind? Not the number, but the maturity of the animal )which is usually expressed by large antlers that usually equates to a larger number) does. Or, at least if I'm honest about how many younger bucks I've let walk in such a situation.

I can draw from my personal past behaviors to convince myself either Yes or No. I've shot 120" whitetails in a very similar situation, so I struggle to convince myself I'd pass a more mature mule deer in the same situation, though I don't know that I've ever been in that situation with a mule deer over 3 years old.

I passed a couple very nice mule deer bucks while elk hunting central Montana this year. I really can't explain what was going through my head, other than I was enjoying watching them act goofy and rationalized that if I shot one it might mess up the elk situation. Taking one of those would have been more satisfactory to my "earned it" feeling than the situation you pose the question of. But, for some curious reason I'm still reflecting on, I passed.

To me, it doesn't matter what someone else would do. I'd be happy for whatever decision they arrived at.

Right now, at this point in my life, I suspect in most instances I'd pass just due to my pleasure of being out there and waiting for that perfect situation (not necessarily perfect buck). If I get back to a time when I am not hunting as much as I currently do, I suspect I'd be more inclined to take advantage of that situation, even with a smaller buck, as my freezer may be more likely to have space at that time than is the current situation where I get to hunt a lot.

I know the last two years my MT deer tag, and this year's elk tag, went unfilled when opportunity presented and I mostly attribute it to having good luck already in my freezer from hunts in other states. That causes me to honestly answer your question with, "It depends."

It has less to do with the size or location and more to do with the late November for me at least. It simply isn’t right having a statewide general rut hunt. I could care less what people shoot but seeing deer that vulnerable with no limitations pisses me off.
That makes sense and I didn’t think of it that way never have hunted an area or a state that allows for rut mule deer hunting where they are stuck on stupid during rifle season.

After this year’s pack out of an easy stalk/shot, I have a different outlook on ”easy deer”.

If it feels right, it feels right. I've passed bigger than 160 just because it didn't feel right in the moment. Have I regretted making such decisions? More often than not, but I'm at peace with my decisions.

Gosh.
The word of the day is "perspective."

I've deer hunted WA for 23 years and have never had an opportunity at anything close to 160. And I can damn sure promise you my grandfather died having never seen a 140" buck, let alone shoot one.

So yeah, I'm getting buck fever, sending the first two over his back, and grinning ear to friggin' ear with a 160 of any make, model, or creed.

I can totally understand why you wouldn't if you are limited by hunting just a few days a year, and what a full experience, rather than over in 5 minutes.

I'm fortunate in that I can hunt deer every day of the year, but as we have to extract the deer whole I think carefully where I shoot a deer these days, getting a big red stag out of some of the places I hunt risk giving us a heart attack!

Cheers

Richard

I prefer to be farther but I'm not passing a close one. You can go for a hike after you get him in the truck if you need a workout.

I would shoot it and claim it as a "management buck." You don't want him passing on those inferior genes that cause him to stand out in the open during hunting season.

But realistically I would probably shoot it.

I can't really describe my shoot/don't shoot choices. I've passed on nice deer in lay-up spots and shot small deer in the middle of nowhere. If my body isn't pumping the adrenaline at the time I get into position, then I let them walk.

Man, I want to say I'd shoot it in a heartbeat... but I do weird things sometimes when it just doesn't feel right. I remember passing on a nice 130-140" whitetail buck a few years back. he was way bigger than any whitetail I'd ever shot. And he was standing broadside at 70 yards while I knelt next to the road and just watched him through the crosshairs. For some reason I never tripped the trigger.

Later that day I put a few miles on my legs looking for mule deer, and shot a busted up 3x4 that might have been 140" on a good day. He wound up being on a mountain above my grandparents cabin, and it took a heck of a shot (for me) to kill him. That buck meant the world to me, and the whitetail wouldn't have.

Back