Doe killers?!!?

Ah
Can't eat antlers.

We used to do a doe hunt in a specific little SW MT valley that we called the Trophy Doe Safari. Our best season was roughly 32 deer between 8 hunters (about 2 weeks worth of hunting time).

We even made a plaque for it, which was awarded to the person who shot the smallest deer. It currently resides with me. @RobG & a few others participated. It was pretty fun, and everyone got full freezers, as well as donating some meat to the local food bank.
Shot two this year. I usually get two or three.

@Ben Lamb
Did you see where about 40% of those lower Ruby valley deer are testing positive for CWD? They are trying to get a late season to thin them out.

I'm praying I get the opportunity to get a doe or cow elk still this year. My freezer is getting empty and my wife doesn't care if the meat in the freezer comes from something that had antlers or not, as long as the meat is there.

Last edited:
In MN, doe permits are on a lottery system, so we call them "golden tickets". I personally have not shot a doe, but would have no reservations doing so if it was the difference between a freezer full of meat and tag soup.
No they're not... Maybe in a couple units they're still in a lottery but that's because deer numbers are awful there. I can shoot as many does as I want in our unit in MN. The buck tag is the golden ticket since we're only allowed 1 a year. You should hunt a different unit where you can shoot usually 2 does

No they're not... Maybe in a couple units they're still in a lottery but that's because deer numbers are awful there. I can shoot as many does as I want in our unit in MN. The buck tag is the golden ticket since we're only allowed 1 a year. You should hunt a different unit where you can shoot usually 2 does
I’m going to have to claim simple ignorance on this one. With a 3 day weekend and family hunting area, I have never looked beyond that particular unit. That said, you may have just opened the door for me to get into bow hunting....

Was going to say the same. Depends on the unit. Unit where I use to hunt still fluctuates between 1-2 bonus antlerless tags most years.

I usually put a couple in freezer in early bow season then a couple more in firearms or alternative season. With does tags easy to come by here in Missouri the buck tags usually stay in the pocket. This year I filled it but last year just watched them walk by.

I like to hunt for the experience, then the meat, and antlers are a bonus. Antlers don’t motivate me to get into the woods, but the experience of the hunt and a dwindling meat supply in the freezer do.

I killed two bucks this year, but I often eat tag soup on bucks. I gladly fill my (and some non-hunting friends) freezer with does. I love for hunting. I also love just getting into God’s creation sometimes, with no real thoughts or goals of killing anything.

I’ll be honest, I’m out of doe tags in my area already, and I’m wishing that I had more. I’m kind of a ballistics nerd, and like to see how different loads work on game in different situations. Two rifle doe tags in my unit doesn’t allow for much analysis, even though I still have friends who would take thee meat. I have to drive several counties over to kill more does, but don’t really have the time to do the necessary scouting to make that a success this year.

Does are targets for me. Wife seems to like them better than bucks for eating. I have just been pretty lucky over the years and have taken a lot of bucks. This year they are ALL I can take. Only saw one doe so far and just had to watch it walk away. Hopefully another buck will stroll through when shooting hours open today!

Dropped 2 this year and my daughter shot one. I try and target the old wise ones that will stand off and blow and stomp letting all know that something is up!

My former club was serious about doe harvest. I’ve even taken my .270 BAR along in order to kill more than one at a time.

I haven’t shot a doe in years.
Same here, does produce fawns. There is no overpopulation of deer in Washington that's for sure.
Drew a cow elk tag in 1993 and shot a cow. Last one for me, I got zero out of the hunt. The permit was in January and the cow was pregnant.
Definitely not my thing.

In sask we get one either sex WT tag so I never shoot does. Try to get at least a mature buck. If I had to fill the freezer with deer a mature buck is way bigger bodied then a doe. My buck this year was 135# bone in meat and last year was 165#. Doe never gets close even. Best option to fill the freezer is shoot a moose or elk. Way bigger and tastier lol

Back