Doe killers?!!?

Good times! Funny, I’ve killed deer with 300 Wby and 180 NABs, 45/70 and 420gr home hardcast, 30-06 and 180 NABs, .270 Win with numerous 130gr pills, .308, .30-06, .243, etc, etc. I love to experiment and see how different cartridges and loads perform. I only wish that I had a few more doe tags without having to drive cross-state or cross-country.

Good times! Funny, I’ve killed deer with 300 Wby and 180 NABs, 45/70 and 420gr home hardcast, 30-06 and 180 NABs, .270 Win with numerous 130gr pills, .308, .30-06, .243, etc, etc. I love to experiment and see how different cartridges and loads perform. I only wish that I had a few more doe tags without having to drive cross-state or cross-country.
Dang it, I forgot 338 Win Mag. Done that one too

I'm still eating deer from 2019 thanks to some does. It helps me stay selective if the freezer is still full. Didn't pull the trigger this year on a deer, buck or doe, as a result. No problem by me.

Where you getting the Douglas Co doe tags? 😁 If I Could draw one I'd not hesitate. We have a lot of BIG, old does where we hunt.

The Farm we have permission on is based on us only taking does. Long story short the farm is leased for buck hunting, but they have zero interest in harvesting does. We have permission from landowner who is a great friend and Lessee to take up to three does a year. 500+ acres it is hardly a dent. It really works well for us as I have taken numerous big bucks over the years and now all my attention is on my 4 young daughters and getting them hunting. Last year my 11 year old shot her first deer on the farm, but has informed me that she wants a buck. We are looking into public land here in Indiana and possibly a backpack hunt somewhere.

I hunted public land in Missouri for 3 seasons back in 11-13 and took three bucks and two does during that time.

Here in TX I shoot plenty of does. In fact this year I've killed five deer and only one of those what a buck (spike). I shoot anywhere from 6 to 10 deer a year. Usually one to three are bucks. Venison is venison and it all eats.

I hunted a group of farms here in SC with 4 other guys and we got 50 , five zero, Antlerless Deer Quota Program Tags per year. $50 per year. Lots of kids and newbies got their first deer or three on those tags thru the years. I found this pic. I shot those three on the first morning our doe tags were valid. The first 8-10 rows of beans in that field were mowed down. My 25-06 got a workout in that field. We hunted those farms for about 10 years.

Attachments

• 4305A108-3DAA-4A31-BA5A-BFD06CCB9FFF.jpeg
    4305A108-3DAA-4A31-BA5A-BFD06CCB9FFF.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I actually prefer does to bucks for meat quality. I also put in for the maximum doe tags I am allowed.

EDIT: I should add that I usually make the bucks into mostly jerky, hamburger, and sausages. Exception was this years buck antelope I didn't do that and it was really tender and no wild taste to it as @Wildabeast can affirm since I left some in his freezer after he let me use his cabin. Exceptions to this rule is when I shoot them off wheat and rye fields because they are usually tender with no wild taste unless you shoot them while they are fighting or running in warmer weather.

Last edited:
I actually prefer does to bucks for meat quality. I also put in for the maximum doe tags I am allowed.
Certainly the consensus here in my house. My wife can tell a buck from texture and smell when cooking even burger 90+% of the time..

The area we hunt is a borderline CWD zone so special licenses for does are readily available for control of herd size. Also our rancher friends want the numbers brought down. So yes does are on the hit list and taste very good.

I shoot whitetail does any chance I get here in NY. I have plenty of family and friends that enjoy venison. AST year I took 2 so far this year I’ve taken 1.

Back