Doe killers?!!?

I harvested a doe on Michigan’s state land Monday night. First deer ever on public as I was blessed of 35 years of private land which was finally pulled from me 1 week before Michigan’s gun opener. Was the best hunt ever. Plus the .3 mile drag through a pancaked woods from strait line winds from 5 or so years back. 50 years old and I did it. I now understand the importance of being what a public land owner really means

When I lived in NY, I killed does often. Now that I live out west I have yet to draw an antlerless tag but have almost killed a few with my loaded pickup truck. I swear the truck attracts muley does. When I do travel back to NY I get a doe tag. I want to be sure to bring some whitetail venison back west.

Seeing people pose in pictures with a mule deer doe makes me wonder if they even graduated the 3rd grade

Attachments

• F13A1E68-4804-4B4C-88FF-FAEE7415CD6D.gif
    F13A1E68-4804-4B4C-88FF-FAEE7415CD6D.gif
    537.1 KB · Views: 1
I take a lot more pride in shooting a mature doe than a small buck. I would love to shoot a big old swamp buck with a rack like a chandelier, but I also love the whole process of the harvest from start to finish. I even enjoy the dirty work after the kill. If I sat around waiting for a shooter buck my freezer would remain empty more years than not. To each his own.

Attachments

• BF01B0C2-A978-46B4-B26D-EDE436E45AC9.jpeg
    BF01B0C2-A978-46B4-B26D-EDE436E45AC9.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 12
1) it’s not a trophy, or a difficult hunt.
2) why would we shoot muley doe’s when their population is declining?
There being tags available doesn’t mean we should be shooting them. The game and fish are more concerned with selling tags than managing the herd.

I easily get permission to hunt a couple of exceptionally beautiful ranches full of deer. With one caveat. If I see a legal deer, I shoot it. No trophy hunting. Period.

Okay with me.

Not impressed.

I doubt anyone hunts to impress others, including hunting to impress you. If you don't have something helpful to add to the conversation, move along to a thread that might be of interest to you in some way other than criticizing the hunts of others.

And if that request doesn't work for you, you can always pack your keyboard and go elsewhere. I suspect the "unimpressive hunters" here on Hunt Talk would get along just fine without your remarks.

So BF I don't recall seeing you putting any does down on video? Just wondering when was the last time you took an antlerless deer? I know that you have had others on your program take does.

I'm not calling you out or anything just that inquiring minds want to know..

So BF I don't recall seeing you putting any does down on video? Just wondering when was the last time you took an antlerless deer? I know that you have had others on your program take does.

I'm not calling you out or anything just that inquiring minds want to know..

I do it regularly. We have only filmed it once. I always have some whitetail doe tags in my pocket. There have been years where I have taken the maximum number of whitetail does allowed.

Not sure what that question has to do with this post where some are criticizing others for doing it, but that is the answer.

So long as it is legal, I'm happy at the success any hunter finds, whether bucks or does, muleys or whitetails. I fail to understand the need to comment negatively when others obviously found pleasure in their success.

I have shot lots of doe pronghorn, doe mule deer, and whitetails.

I won't ever kill another mule deer doe for several reasons. 1. I don't think populations warrant it. 2. Absolutely as challenging as shooting a beer can. 3. Biggest reason I just don't care for the meat. 4. I can shoot whitetails and elk which are just way better on the table.

I also won't kill any more pronghorn does. While great eating, I've shot enough and unlike other big game the bucks are just as good as the does table fare wise. Plus I can get 2 buck tags a year.

Doe whitetail, yep I'll continue to shoot them as I like the meat way better than mule deer and range wide whitetails are doing very well.

Back