Doe killers?!!?

I kill does as well not many but if I need the meat in the freezer than I will kill a doe or 2. This year I was lucky to hunt a farm in which the owner wanted all deer killed, regardless of size and sex. Killed an old buck and 2 does within 20 minutes.

Can't eat antlers.

We used to do a doe hunt in a specific little SW MT valley that we called the Trophy Doe Safari. Our best season was roughly 32 deer between 8 hunters (about 2 weeks worth of hunting time).

We even made a plaque for it, which was awarded to the person who shot the smallest deer. It currently resides with me. @RobG & a few others participated. It was pretty fun, and everyone got full freezers, as well as donating some meat to the local food bank.

Attachments

• PXL_20201210_160123626.jpg
    PXL_20201210_160123626.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15
Heading out to Nebraska for the first time as a NR to hunt some does (one tag allows for two does) in January. Looking forward to what I hear is a fairly relaxing time to get some meat in the freezer after getting some access on some farms where farmers are very welcoming for folks to come harvest.

in SD I apply for Any Deer tags. With children my hunting is limited so I hunt for a buck to maximize my time afield. But have no qualms about shooting a doe on my last couple of days.

Spendy meat. Hunted SD and never found a buck that would break 140". Due to a Covid scare, I put my any-deer tag on an accommodating doe and headed for home. Two mule deer doe tags sitting on the counter. I can add them to the pile of unfilled tags over the years.
50702980236_bf3aae5bea_5k.jpg

I would like to shoot a few does a year, but haven't been seeing them when I am looking for 'em the last couple years. Passed a couple WT does in MT last month that would have been a 3+ mile packout on a BMA. Now the freezer is not happy with that decision.

Also guilty of shooting does on occasion. A freezer full of fish needs some variety once in a while! We spend so much time trying to get an elk that our freezer is often empty, so spending a half a day trying for a doe is helpful. Although I did eat my doe tag this year because I was a bit picky.

The plan was for the kids to fill some doe tags, but my daughter will only shoot bucks now and my son can never seem to see does, just the fawns. So, dear old dad has to do it, which i don't really mind, shot 2 so far and might try for another this weekend

definitely will shoot does

if it was easier to get doe mule tags in colorado i would go after them more. but, in general, you kinda have to choose here - chase bucks or does, not both. leftover doe tags are becoming harder to get your hand's on and a lot of good doe tags even require points. but alas, we don't exactly have great mule deer hunting by accident.

i always apply for piles of doe tags in wyoming between pronghorn and deer. and if those are the only tags i had each year i would be more than happy

on that note, i'm only planning to cow hunt elk this next fall

I will take a doe rarely, but let people take one once in a while on my land as well when I feel they are getting to thick. Been a couple times in 30 years we had to do a deep thinning but it is rare. I just do not rely on any F&G to make the decision for me if they should be thinned out or not because I have seen more lunacy and $$$$ than sound management from them. No one is going to convince me otherwise that the car insurance companies have a huge effect on many of the deer population management goals set in the midwest states.

Although I usually try to use a new bullet and/or new gun (even some with iron sights) when hunting does, @shrapnel does it with way cooler guns than I do.

That double rifle is beautiful. What is it chambered in?

It is a Henry Clarke from Leicester England. It is a 7X57R. It is something you can hunt North American game with. Much more suitable than those elephant and Buffalo calibers...

24349D66-B5B8-4DE9-8935-50D553625F13.jpeg9266D200-FCEC-43E4-BCA3-CEA57284B6D1.jpeg43898EFC-48C3-4BB8-B050-D9AC4ADB4F71.jpeg8B65F2E6-40B3-4E77-B016-E87A2D6D51B4.jpeg

I typically shoot 2 or 3 a year. Try to get 1 with a bow and 1 with a muzzleloader.

I have a hunting spot that the landowners request shooting anything without antlers regardless of age class

Depends on herd numbers, if there is a surplus, I will. I've heard too many stories " I've killed 4 does a year", then where are all the deer at. You reap what you sow.

It is a Henry Clarke from Leicester England. It is a 7X57R. It is something you can hunt North American game with. Much more suitable than those elephant and Buffalo calibers...

View attachment 165726View attachment 165727View attachment 165728View attachment 165729

I've got a 450 3 1/4 BPE in the same configuration ( hammers, Jones underlever) that is an absolute beast on Whitetails. Drops them fairly quickly w/a 350 grain Hornady RN over 100 grains of 3fffg. Very nice rifle, @shrapnel !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back