Do overs 2021 while hunting..

Don't hunt the Kodiak road system for deer after a heavy winter kill.
I had planned on hunting the roadless south end where the effects of harsh winter is minimal but my wife decided to join me, which is great. However, I figured she'd enjoy camping from the road system with the option of hotels when it gets real nasty weather.
Only regret is buying the deer permit, should have just concentrated on ducks only.
View attachment 200931
You must have small hand 😳😳

Should have zigged when we zagged…. Never seen a deer bust at 800+ yards

Should have been in as good of shape as 2019. Close, but not quite.

Should have shot Larry on the day we arrive rather than “we’ll find him later”. Never say him on public again.

Here’s Larry:

Attachments

• E4554FC1-1F8D-44BF-A10D-FE8DA7B9E010.jpeg
    E4554FC1-1F8D-44BF-A10D-FE8DA7B9E010.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 79
1) deciding to not try to archery hunt the ram I was pumped about to not risk pushing it - it held tight 1st 3 days of archery. Haven’t seen him since.
2) rushing my daughter to shoot now shoot now shoot now on a magnificent bull elk. She’s never missed a shot at a big game animal until that point.
3) Today - deciding to take my light rifle instead of the heavy long range. Had the biggest typical mule deer I’ve ever seen on the hoof at 438 yards & I opted to get closer. He vanished.
Keep after it. Grit will kick in

I would have not tried to make a horse in training cross a creek the right way lol after few attempts he jumped and landed right on my left foot, out came the colored toes, pain and limping for awhile, then limp my way down into some elk trying to get the wife a bull, well was almost there and my dang truck horn started going off 🤦🏻‍♂️ Limped my way back up to kill it and so pizzzzed off I lost my glasses then I couldn’t see a damn thing lol good thing wife could see to find them!! Haha. Glad that’s over, hoping my out of state hunts go a little smoother🤞🏻

I had a boss strawberry blond bear at 350 on my last day of spring hunting, moved up to get a better look and angle. The wind and bear’s direction of travel conspired against me and I never closed the deal after an hour of cat and mouse. Should’ve just shot him at 350.

No regrets for the fall as I’ve been big game hunting just 3 days so far. This spring I could not find the turkey shells my gun is patterned for due to COVID shortages, so I bought whatever I could find. I did not pattern the new shells, figuring it would not be too different, and I was wrong. I fanned a full-strut tom to 50 yards and hit 10 inches low, right in the gut. He flew off and I did not recover the bird. I hung it up with an unpunched tag because the shot was fatal. I hate that he did not have a quick death, due to my decisions.

On my first cow elk hunt this fall, we were sneaking through the woods and bumped into 2 elk. Had bumped into lots of bulls so I just assumed they were bulls…. Turns out they were cow elk. Should’ve pulled up my rifle instead of my binos and probably could’ve got a shot off.

No regrets for the fall as I’ve been big game hunting just 3 days so far. This spring I could not find the turkey shells my gun is patterned for due to COVID shortages, so I bought whatever I could find. I did not pattern the new shells, figuring it would not be too different, and I was wrong. I fanned a full-strut tom to 50 yards and hit 10 inches low, right in the gut. He flew off and I did not recover the bird. I hung it up with an unpunched tag because the shot was fatal. I hate that he did not have a quick death, due to my decisions.
Those suck… sorry man.

I screwed up two different opportunities at the best bear I’ve ever seen in Montana, that hurt. I decided not to shoot a great chocolate later in the spring because of the circumstances, I don’t regret that one.

At the end of archery season I had lots of elk regrets from screwing up opportunities on bulls and not giving enough effort, but that ended up working out in the end. It’s probably nothing but birds from here on out, the way Montana deer are looking I probably won’t shoot one unless I’m convinced it’s pretty old.

Should have zigged when we zagged…. Never seen a deer bust at 800+ yards

Should have been in as good of shape as 2019. Close, but not quite.

Should have shot Larry on the day we arrive rather than “we’ll find him later”. Never say him on public again.

Here’s Larry:
Larry is cool!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back