Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Do overs 2021 while hunting..

We worked very hard to put ourselves in position one day. As we were creeping the last hundred yards or so in the moonlight, the elk were sleeping basically right in our path and they got up and thundered off when we were 20 feet away. We didn’t expect them to be where they were. Live and learn.

It was just after sunrise.
I had been watching elk move in the valley below
& I was sitting on my couch with legs crossed listening to music with Rio pressed against one leg. I must have dosed off cuzz when I went to go take a leak my leg was totally asleep. I made it two steps with a floppy foot, then placed it on an angle against a stack of trim in the hallway and not knowing due to a total lack of feeling,put my whole weight on it.
Golly gosh that felt good I said as I went down..............NOT!

So I have been icing my right foot for two days and can hobble around a bit. Not broken cause I can wiggle my toes and there's no throbbing,sure signs for those who have broken a foot or toes before know. Less swelling this morn.
Hopefully I can try a boot on today or tomorrow. Or I will be hunting deer next week in my slippers or truck hunting. And a cow hunt next month.

So is my lesson don't fall asleep with your legs crossed? Don't let Rio lay on me? Drink less coffee? Or is spanks the answer?

Asking for a friend.....lol

Didn't have my wife sight in her rifle and I did it for her. I believe this caused for bad shots on an antelope hunt.

Getting COVID mid hunt causing me to lose 2 days of hunting that I am sure would have been the days to fill my cow elk tag.

Getting COVID mid hunt would not allow me to taste or smell anything so I could not enjoy fresh deer backstraps the night of the hunt....nor a celebratory drink.

Not allowing my friend or wife to shoot the buck I did... they weren't ready and he was too good to pass so I dropped him, but after the number of opportunities we had that day I could have give them more time and I would have been happy with another one. Maybe I don't regret it after all!

I’m in a hotel drinking a Colorado beer & getting ready for the 4am wake up. I ran out of the good stuff. I love got 2 more days. Weather’s made it tough here but it’s been great.

I’m worried that a couple coworkers who are covering my slack this year while hunting sheep, etc have a voodoo doll. Or there’s some curse I’ve been subjected to. Day 1 of my Colorado deer hunt the zipper on my pants broke so I’ve been hunting with the barn door open all week. Par for the course..

How about last night’s campsite selection. I would have done that choice over.

The large camp of regulars pulled out Thursday and their spot was ideal for where I was hunting. While looking around in the dark last night for dead pine needles to start a fire, I nearly tripped over this horrifying contraption. I almost drove to town and got a hotel just so I could shower after seeing it. Had to take pics today before I left.

View attachment 201082View attachment 201083
Man you come across some weird, wild, and sometimes awesome shit No pun intended, was referring to the yoga chick.

Maybe those Coloradans are making up some organic compost for their shwag crop.

Selling our house and trying to move during hunting season was super dumb. My MIL begged me to cancel my elk hunt. So silly. I climbed 3300 ft of vertical on our closing day to get cell service and see if we closed.

Do over.

When solo archery elk hunting and getting a response from a bull (bull approaching) I'd make sure I'm in a spot with landmarks helping me with yardage estimate using my rangefinder. Calling a bull into a wide open field with no landmarks is not a good thing when the bull's moving around while looking towards your position and it takes you several moments to toggle between the range finder and pulling back the archery equipment. As a newbie elk hunter, it's a problem I had not considered.

Selling our house and trying to move during hunting season was super dumb. My MIL begged me to cancel my elk hunt. So silly. I climbed 3300 ft of vertical on our closing day to get cell service and see if we closed.
You might want to think about an InReach Mini. It's saved me a lot of hiking and driving to find reception.

Should have been a bit faster, on my Utah OTC elk tag. Had a bull come out opening day, and looked at him through binos too long before getting the gun up and when I did he was gone. Didn’t see another the whole time.

I shot a 3 pointer right at the end of shooting time and I guess I rushed the quartering process a little. That deer had a lot of fine hair that was a pain to clean off during processing.

Getting a case of target panic days before archery antelope opener was really fun. Tried to force myself to shoot better, calmer, etc. Not helping. Fast forward to opening day, and I screw up a stalk for a buddy by bumping the buck he was stalking and I then proceeded to shoot a mile over his back when I jerked the trigger so hard I thought it was a seizure. Two hours later, I am stalking a nice bedded buck who gets up, feeds into a small gully giving me the opportunity to WALK up and get within 38 yards. Full draw, have same target panic twitching fit, launch arrow somewhere into next county. All while my two hunting buddies are watching this through the spotter.

I switched releases, practiced for several days, and went out late in the month and got it done on a nice buck. It was night and day difference with the new release and my general mental state with the shot process. I have never had target panic like that, and I know I will be practicing differently for next season. Probably start some Zen/yoga/shrooms training while I am it....can't hurt, right?

Back