Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Do overs 2021 while hunting..

87 days total invested, maybe 60 or so looking for one animal and to have him smoked by a man who would have been happy with any ram was a cause of some extreme anguish. Last time I saw this ram was Sept 6. Hunter Jim Boorman was excellent, tough as nails was around 4 miles into peaks and has been hunting sheep this year by himself most of the time, and not parked along the road. His son and grandson also A++ folks very happy for them but AAARRGGGH!!!! So much more to the details, but they had me carry head and cape out . Tough day in my hunting world.

Last edited:
I really have no idea what you must be going through, Greenhorn. It’s just so extreme. But I can say for sure that this whole entire board wants you to get one that makes you happy really, really badly. Best of luck in the next few days.

Your ram is coming Kurt. You've shared an incredible adventure most will only be able to dream of. I enjoy it when people are willing share these experiences and we've had some phenomenal ones this year.

I can tell you one thing I wish I could do over.

Keep a spread sheet like that or a diary of my adventures. I know a few that do that and man that is so cool to me.

Looking forward to seeing your ram soon partner!

Brutal. I've got one relatively minor one so far: The other night, I rattled in my first buck (that sentence alone should convey the pitiful state of our snow cover here). I could hear him coming, but the woods were thick and it was getting dark fast. Only about 6 minutes of legal light left. Finally, I could see the deer, but I couldn't make out the antlers in the low light. I had a beautiful shot at him for about 5 or 6 seconds, but it wasn't until he turned and got behind a tree that I could confirm the antlers. I leaned over a bit to sneak a bullet past the edge of the tree and he saw the movement. Gone.

Not getting just a little closer on my daughters first deer tag. She made a pretty good shot at 180 yards and we followed this blood trail a mile, but it was a little far back and he ran onto private where we couldn’t get permission. Her disappointment was harder than any disappointment I have ever experienced on a hunt.

D03D8F2A-7981-45B7-9909-0B5206B2A6D8.jpeg0D8FE74D-15D9-4C62-A82C-A6C2B5CC3D74.jpegF6E18EF1-738F-4C17-BD47-31BED4AA5DE0.jpegFC287827-AC29-4252-BD00-062C62A5E8DD.jpegB0B798EE-54C2-4F54-969E-3423C2736F8E.jpeg

Not getting just a little closer on my daughters first deer tag. She made a pretty good shot at 180 yards and we followed this blood trail a mile, but it was a little far back and he ran onto private where we couldn’t get permission. Her disappointment was harder than any disappointment I have ever experienced on a hunt.

View attachment 202868View attachment 202869View attachment 202870View attachment 202872View attachment 202871
My middle son lost one last year, even after bringing in a tracking dog. It's an awful feeling and one that follows such a great, temporary high. I hope we never go through that again. Sorry!

Today... Saw 4 cows and a calf moving between about 100 yards of aspen grove. Shot at a cow at 137 yards, perfectly still and broadside, when the shot went off the crosshairs where right where I wanted them. Shot felt great. I look up to see if she reacted, and elk are moving left and right between the trees, its dizzying, I have no idea which one I shot at anymore. I Panic and run down to see if I can see which one it was and maybe put another round in it. Turns out they were in a clearing I couldn't see behind them, and there was a herd of 40-50 elk. They scramble like roaches in all different directions. Again, I have no idea which one I shot at and what direction it went. Start looking in the area after they spooked, zero blood trail, in snow too. I have no idea if I had a clean miss, or a hit with no blood trail. I start doing a 270 degree radius of 100,200, 300... 1000 yards looking for blood. Can't find anything. There are tracks in the snow going every which way. I'll go back out tomorrow and keep looking, but tonight, I go to bed sick not knowing what happened to the animal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back