Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Do I NEED a bino harness?

Complete noob question here. . . why not get a case that attaches to the shoulder straps of your hunting pack, and avoid the second harness of the bino harness?
Comfortable fit is harder... and then your binos are attached to your pack lol

Your pack is heavy is nice to take it off, pack as a shooting rest, glassing with your pack off, hunts without a pack... etc.

I had a hell of a time with my binos hitting the horn of my saddle when on horseback. The bino pack held them higher and tighter.

Don't get me started on stuff "on your pack". Pretty soon you got more on it than in it.

I have used them with and without, have the new sitka bino harness and so far really like the fit and feel. Easy to quickly access the binos or range finder.

If you are adding layers of clothing or taking some off a bino harness is a huge pain in the backside.
Yes, it can be. I’ll often throw my puffy on over the harness. The only time that sucks is if you want to zip the collar all the way.

Nobody NEEDS a bino harness but it sure makes things a lot easier. I can drop my pack and have my binos and range finder strapped to my chest at all time. It's also great when you're driving around/scouting and you don't have to fumble/look for your binos.

I like having a bino harness. Having my binoculars snug against my chest and out of the dust and pine needles and rain and snow. It is a little more hassle when adding or removing a layer, but worth it, in my opinion.

I absolutely love having a bono harness. I keep the strap around my neck, but the harness takes the weight off my neck, I don’t find it to be very time consuming to get them from the pouch, and when I think I need quick access. I leave them hanging from my neck or in my left hand.

I absolutely would recommend having one, the ease of accessibility is huge in some instances

I'm having a hard time visualizing the difference (for access) between binos hanging from a strap or a harness. Both allow you to position them on your chest at almost any height you find works for you. The harness allows less movement by the binos. I've used both and to me the harness is just more comfortable for all day wear. Supporting them from you shoulders vs your neck is a no brainer.
There are simple harnesses (just hold binos, not a rangefinder, wind direction canister or what ever else) that don't set you back $100 +. Try a cheap harness to see if it works for you.

I'm having a hard time visualizing the difference (for access) between binos hanging from a strap or a harness. Both allow you to position them on your chest at almost any height you find works for you. The harness allows less movement by the binos. .

Your last sentence answers it for me. I've long used a strap holder. Now those are better than a strap around the neck. But the binoculars bounce like hell if you are riding a horse. Then you tuck them inside your coat to keep them from bouncing and they fog up when you pull them out to glass something.

I bought a harness and it solves both shortcomings to the strap holder.

I dont need one but I found they are nice to have. Buy a good one but keep it small and simple. If you dont buy a good one you wont really know if you like one or not. If you dont like wearing it sell it. The first bought was too big for my use as I thought I wanted to carry alot of stuff in it. It is an Alaskan. I still use it to keep my spare set in but like my marsupial better as its more streamlined and suits my needs.

I am on my 2nd set of Crooked Horn bino harness' now.....old school. I wear a vest or jacket & keep glass inside too. I also have a cover that just slips over to keep junk out if I need to wear harness on the outside.
I use a safari sling on rifle to keep hands free to glass too.
Don't like the wearing a pack on my chest deal ,but I have had stuff tangled up around my neck issue at wrong time....calls,rangefinder.

Currently in the market for a new bino harness, so just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Better/easier than doing google searches and reading reviews from companies and sites who may have a vested interest.

I've been rifle hunting for 40+ years without a bino harness.
I like the instant access of having binos hanging from my neck.....
take a step, glass, take a step, glass, etc.

On many kills, my success was due to the ability to instantly glass something that looked out of place,
None of my rifle hunting partners use a bino harness either
and we are all relatively successful and happy with our big game hunts.
Do we NEED a bino harness?
Doesn’t sound like y’all “need” a bino harness but I got one of Alaska guide creations bino harness and I couldn’t be more happy with it.

Not needed at all. Pard of mine, who is more successful at tagging critters than I will ever be doesn't use one for his very expensive binos. That said, I like them. For a simple way of holding your binos with not pockets/storage the Rick Young is hard to beat. Very adjustable and can be worn a number of way.

I definitely recommend a harness. I grew up with the basic neck strap, graduated to the elastic harness, and have arrived at the covered harness made by Muley Freak seen in the attached pictures. I love this harness! I tried others and this one is my favorite so far. I really like how the cover opens away from my chest instead of towards it. It allows for easy access quickly and can be left open if conditions permit. Binoculars can also be attached and hang outside of the harness if need be.

I like the small front pocket for my range finder. There are two mesh pockets on the side. One I use for the waterproof cover and the other for wind checker. There is a zipped pocket on the side adjacent to your chest that can fit your license.

This harness was worth every penny, especially because it was a Christmas gift a few years ago. I highly recommend giving a harness a try, and this one in particular.

Attachments

• B42C7305-E87B-43FC-8535-57C6BC7AB130.jpeg
    B42C7305-E87B-43FC-8535-57C6BC7AB130.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • C6EBB074-3000-4956-8205-45477062A3B5.jpeg
    C6EBB074-3000-4956-8205-45477062A3B5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Bino harnesses are great. They keep your optics clean and dry. Also close to your chest so they arent getting in the way.

Just for the peace of mind when running through brush, I think they're great! Pain in the butt if you can't get your binos out of them easily, though! The new kuiu pro harness is good if you have a tripod adapter on the binos. The old kuiu harness is not...
Have heard really good things about Marsupial, too.

Just got a Marsupial enclosed w/range finder bag and like that my binos stay dry/clean & in place. Not intrusive like I thought,size wise. My 10x50's fit fine in med. Like that windchecker & calls fit in side pouches. Bino/tripod mount fits in zip pocket in front. Fits like a glove from factory even..lol. Great customer service,arrived in 3 days,made in America.
I keep my compass & GPS in my pants pocket so the magnet catch is not a problem. I ruined my old Silva with a magnet and learned.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back