Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Do I NEED a bino harness?

AlaskaHunter

I've been rifle hunting for 40+ years without a bino harness.
I like the instant access of having binos hanging from my neck.....
take a step, glass, take a step, glass, etc.

On many kills, my success was due to the ability to instantly glass something that looked out of place,
None of my rifle hunting partners use a bino harness either
and we are all relatively successful and happy with our big game hunts.
Do we NEED a bino harness?

You can still leave your binos out of the case for easy access when you want, but have the option of putting them in the case when not needed, raining, etc. I also like being able to put other stuff in there too. I don't think it will hinder your success rate, but if you really don't like wearing a lot of stuff they can get a bit much when you get pack, sling on too.

You can still leave your binos out of the case for easy access when you want, but have the option of putting them in the case when not needed, raining, etc. I also like being able to put other stuff in there too. I don't think it will hinder your success rate, but if you really don't like wearing a lot of stuff they can get a bit much when you get pack, sling on too.
I switched to a rifle sling like BigFin uses so now plenty of shoulder space for the bino harness.

Beats me if you need one. I have tried one and have had several given to me and always go back to slinging the strap over my right shoulder then sliding the binos under my left arm which keeps them from flopping around on my chest. I am right handed. If i need to belly crawl i slide them father on to my back. When i need them they will quickly slide to the front. This has worked for me hunting hard in jungle, snow, high altitude, Savannah around the world for seventy years or so. Most people seem to prefer a harness these days. Have never damaged or found my binos nonfunctional. Something about can’t teach an old dog new tricks I guess. Kindest Regards

regards

I did not use for a long time. then i jumped a creek and the binos came up and hit me in the face. That was 20 years ago. Now I will noever go with out becuse it is so much easier. I have an KUIU with rangefinder adapter next to it. really fast to use.

Beats me if you need one. I have tried one and have had several given to me and always go back to slinging the strap over my right shoulder then sliding the binos under my left arm which keeps them from flopping around on my chest. I am right handed. If i need to belly crawl i slide them father on to my back. When i need them they will quickly slide to the front. This has worked for me hunting hard in jungle, snow, high altitude, Savannah around the world for seventy years or so. Most people seem to prefer a harness these days. Have never damaged or found my binos nonfunctional. Something about can’t teach an old dog new tricks I guess. Kindest Regards

regards
My first hunt I didn’t have one... I seriously don’t know how you do it. My neck was super sore from the weight, and they slapped around constantly.

I see your your carrying your binos in your pic, how do you carry your binos with a pack on?

To the OP it’s a great tool. I tried pretty much every kind, FHF, marsupial, Kuiu, Sitka, I settled with AGC. The downside with AGC is the harness straps are ridiculously sized. If your not a ogre you have to max out all the adjustments to as tight as they will possibly go.

Hunting back East I never really thought of getting one because I rarely hunted with binos. My dad got the simple strap harness and loved it and got me one. I could never get used to it or the idea of carrying around a $1500 pair of binoculars just hanging out there. The second year I hunted out west I got the original Kuiu harness and that was much better. Ran that for two years and then got a marsupial. Pretty much perfection and I also got the rangefinder pouch. I can seamlessly reach for either in a matter of seconds and both are secure and protected from the elements. I believe the new Kuiu pro harness is similar to the marsupial as they changed the design a little but I had already gotten a marsupial.

I think I would consider a bino harness a “must have” but not a “need.” The only things you “need” to successsfully and legally harvest an animal are: 1. A weapon 2. Tag for the species being hunted 3. Appropriate clothing and footwear and 4. The animal to take aim at.

On many kills, my success was due to the ability to instantly glass something that looked out of place,
I agree with you. This is the biggest downfall of bino harnesses from my limited observations. I do quite a bit of still hunting elk in dark timber and I miss the simplicity of simply raising up the glass. Without a harness I may raise the glass several hundred times an afternoon. This has been my first year with a bino harness. My personal experience is as follows.

Pros: Keeps binos from swinging around in bad terrain
Reduces neck strain (never had a problem with before)
Allows me to keep rangefinder and bear spray within easy reach.
Improved protection from the elements
Great for covering country followed by long glassing sessions

Cons : I find myself glassing less while still hunting because of the inconvenience factor
Very uncomfortable/impractical to wear binos around neck and harness simultaneous (this is for an FHF, the only harness I have experience with)
One more thing to deal with when layering up or down.
Nice in timber to keep things tight to my body, but more inconvenient to dig in and out of IMO.

TLDR: I find mine has more advantages than disadvantages, however you absolutely do not need one and
there are many styles of hunting where I think it gets in the way more than anything.

Last edited:
I use the free one from vortex
Pros: nothing flopping around, quick access for the wind checker and calls, feels real tactical and s**t.
Cons: sometimes can be loud sliding the binos in and out, my chest sweats under it, I look like a giraffe being born when I put it on.
You seem pretty successful without one though.

I've been rifle hunting for 40+ years without a bino harness.

None of my rifle hunting partners use a bino harness either
and we are all relatively successful and happy with our big game hunts.
Do we NEED a bino harness?
I found it to be extremely valuable for organization and getting stuff accessible me out of pockets. In addition to holding binos

Back