Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Do folks from CO work on Fridays anymore?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
My wife and I hiked Colden a few weeks ago from heart lake. Obviously I've spent to much time in CO because I thought it was basically devoid of people lol.

Also no one yelled at me for having my dog off leash, so it's possible that colored my entire experience.
Wow. You got lucky on two counts... My wife hiked Tabletop with my son a couple of weeks ago. She got there at about 7:00am and had to park along the road, well shy of South Meadows Rd. I imagine that you just lucked out though and everyone was on Algonquin and Marcy.

but i've been to wyoming a few times this summer, and it's just as bad as colorado. spent a long weekend in the san juans the other weekend. green license plates were, without joking, almost a minority.

This is totally true. On my elk scouting trip I was literally counting plates and it was 50% Texas, 25% other states and 25% Colorado. o_O

This is totally true. On my elk scouting trip I was literally counting plates and it was 50% Texas, 25% other states and 25% Colorado. o_O

yeah!

I keep feeling like when I tell people how crazy it was they just think I’m exaggerating. It was something else

For some, it could be argued that they don't really work Monday-Thursday either.

I have been fortunate that I've had employers that were pretty liberal with our work schedules and PTO. Working on the drilling operations side of oil and gas, I was always on-call so it evens out over the year.

I think a lot of people have vacation they need to burn after having normal summer trips canceled. I have an extra week I normally don't because i'm not doing the family vacation with the in laws which means I can take 5 Fridays off throughout the summer/fall.

All I know is that green license plates now seem to account for 2/3 of the vehicles in the Snowies this summer.
Have you seen the trailhead parking lots in CO? It's crowded. We need new areas to exercise our 3 mutts and try out the new Teva's. Plus Subaru's are so fuel efficent these days. Wyoming's just so close.

Live in Cheyenne. Watch the Colorado navy head to glendo every Friday. All of my former good spots in se wyo have been taken over by greenies. If I move to Sheridan would I be safe????

They all invade Montana and go to Tongue Reservoir to battle it out with the Billings crowd for camp sites.
Truth.
It has been a long time since I have spent any quality time on Tongue River Reservoir. Just driving by is all it takes for me to decide to find a less crowded place.
When I was young Dad would take us to the reservoir. A lot of times even on the weekend we would be the only boat on the lake.

I hope the this increase in use is dew to the virus and not a harbinger of the future with the current implosion in the big cities and the resulting migration to less populated places. I don't see much up side for public land. Wild and untouched places will be hard to find if this continues. It may be true that there will be a new crop of public land advocates, but I also worry that when things get crowded and push comes to shove many of the new public land users will view hunting as incompatible with their use.

I hope the this increase in use is dew to the virus and not a harbinger of the future with the current implosion in the big cities and the resulting migration to less populated places. I don't see much up side for public land. Wild and untouched places will be hard to find if this continues. It may be true that there will be a new crop of public land advocates, but I also worry that when things get crowded and push comes to shove many of the new public land users will view hunting as incompatible with their use.
I think a lot of it is people are detaching from offices and less the cities since the March shut down. I am in a small office in upstate NY, but we've been pretty much WFH since then and there's been no drop in our productivity. As a project manager, I only have to visit sites occasionally - the rest of the work is spreadsheets and word docs. I can do that anywhere. I've been seeing ads for the Bahamas offering work visas for people to go WFH there. My boss will be in the Adirondacks next week working from a lake house. Another colleague is WFH in Canada for a month while visiting her folks. It's interesting to see the shift as for the most part it's been rural areas slowly emptying in to the cities since the late 19th century (and much faster since the '50s).

There is some exodus from cities that are expensive, like NYC and in CA. We've seen that in upstate NY. Why pay that much for a house when the only reason you're there is because your work is there. The Adirondacks are full of people and camps are going quick. One friend of ours is a retiree who sells campfire wood to people using a state campground near his house. Usually he'll sell 90-100 face cords in 1 sqft bundles over a summer season. Campgrounds were closed until mid July this year and he's been selling wood so fast he doesn't think he'll have enough to make it through Labor Day.

I've never heard anyone complain about Hawaiians.
Try hunting public land there...some dudes are super nice guys that would do anything to help someone....some do not understand competition on public lands, but those guys are in every state..

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back