Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Do folks from CO work on Fridays anymore?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18333
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18333

It used to be that we would see an influx of CO folks passing through Rock Springs (nobody stops in RS, except for gas and McDonalds) on their way to Jackson and the Winds on Friday evenings. They are very easy to spot from a distance as it appears to be a State law that you must have a bike rack on the back of your vehicle if you are a CO resident. I assume the necessity for a kayak on top is just a County requirement as it is only about 50/50 on those.

This year, the influx happens on Thursday evenings. It really is amazing in both number and consistency. My assumption on the change from Fridays to Thursdays is due to people working more from home and ditching out early, since lets be honest very little supervision happens for those working from home. Any CO folks want to verify my anecdotal, unscientific observation?

My company started giving us every other Friday off earlier this year, 9/80 schedule. I know of quite a few other companies in Denver that do the same. I would agree with your statement though, even in Colorado we used to be able to go camping and if you left on a Friday you could still find a spot. If you wanted a good spot, you had to leave Thursday after work. This summer, it has been Wednesday for good spots. Places we have camped for 15-20 years have crazy amounts of people.

You are getting all of those "wonderful" Denver and Boulderites (Colo-fornians) I am betting. Even down here Fridays start early as folks have found ways to bug out for plans (plus all of those great 3-4 days military weekends). If you think what you are getting is bad, you should see I70 west on a Friday in ski season :)

I've never seen so many 80k rigs at a campground in my life until I moved to Wyoming, nearly all from Colorado. The tandem towing with a boat/camper is impressive though.

The camping and recreation increase this year is so dramatic, its hard to overstate. The numbers coming from CO, ID and UT into WY for short weekend trips is like nothing I have ever seen. Usually about this time of year it starts to die down as school starts back up. With the number of kids going to remote learning I don't see it slowing down anytime soon. Very curious to see how the lack of college football will affect the numbers recreating on the weekends. I have been known to skip a weekend during hunting season to catch the occasional game. Assume others do as well.

I've never seen so many 80k rigs at a campground in my life until I moved to Wyoming, nearly all from Colorado. The tandem towing with a boat/camper is impressive though.
You should see Flaming Gorge on a weekend. The average Sweetwater county resident wont camp unless they are in at least a 35', $75K camper. But with only 42,000 residents, it always seemed like an uncrowded lake. The numbers coming up from UT are unreal. I have a few friends that have $150K+ wake board boats that as long as they stayed on the Wyo side of the Gorge, would see little traffic on a weekend and none on a weekday. The UT side was always more crowded. This year the whole lake is packed. Even on weekdays. Last year a wait to launch a boat at buckboard was almost unheard of. Now its an expectation.

Went camping a few weeks ago. Pulled my little teardrop trailer down a backwater FS road that dead ends. Absolutely no room to turn around anything larger than the teardrop. 9:30 PM a guy from Colorado drives down the road towing a massive goose neck camper. Got to listen to him yell at his kids for 30 minutes while he backed up the trailer a 1/4 mile scraping every tree along the way.

Went camping a few weeks ago. Pulled my little teardrop trailer down a backwater FS road that dead ends. Absolutely no room to turn around anything larger than the teardrop. 9:30 a guy from Colorado drives down the road towing a massive goose neck camper. Got to listen to him yell at his kids for 30 minutes while he backed up the trailer a 1/4 mile scraping every tree along the way.

There have been a ton of camps on the BLM behind my in-laws that have been up all summer... 60+ days exact same spot.

FIL called the BLM and they are totally exasperated with the situation, and basically told him, nothing we can do at this point.

Hunting season is going to be super fun this year. I'm trying to set expectations accordingly now and will be packing some patience.

Last edited:
@mulecreek , few years ago there was a bad storm heading over Glendo. Tried to get the boat out early was impossible, all ramps were absolutely packed with those 80k or more wakeboard boats. After an hour or so of waiting and tornado sirens blasting, I ended up just beaching the boat and scrambling to the nearest poop house. My boat is much cheaper than those at the boat ramp so I figured of all boats it could handle damage and let others try to get out.

There have been a ton of camps on the BLM behind my in-laws that have been up all summer... 60+ days exact same spot.

FIL called the BLM and they are totally exasperated with the situation, and basically told him, nothing we can do at this point.

Hunting season is going to be super fun this year. I trying to set expectations accordingly now and will be packing some patience.
A lot of people in Wyoming are bad about bringing so much shit into the mountains you can't tell if they're staying overnight or setting up permanent residence.

The camping and recreation increase this year is so dramatic, its hard to overstate. The numbers coming from CO, ID and UT into WY for short weekend trips is like nothing I have ever seen. Usually about this time of year it starts to die down as school starts back up. With the number of kids going to remote learning I don't see it slowing down anytime soon. Very curious to see how the lack of college football will affect the numbers recreating on the weekends. I have been known to skip a weekend during hunting season to catch the occasional game. Assume others do as well.

Lol... this thread is really making me appreciate my move :)

You guys make me feel bad about being a western vacationer. 😬
Dont! I totally get why people come here and wish them well. Its just the increase this summer that is hard to wrap my hands around.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back