DIY Colorado Archery Elk Hunt

Farmingdales Finest

My son and I are planning on doing a Back Country Backpacking Archery Hunt in Colorado. It was originally going to be for after he graduated college in 3 years but my wife said to go this year. So I have a lot to learn about what we need in gear, where to go, and also get in better shape for the hunt. I think we are going to be in GMU 47. Based upon what I have read it has one of the largest herds of elk as well as a higher success rate than most units as well as being an OTC unit so we can buy the license at any sporting goods store and go vs. a lottery. Looking to hunt likely in the Leadville side of the Hunter-Frying Pan Wilderness or Mount Massive Wilderness. I am open to suggestions as this is all new to us and I am literally going off a google search and this area popped up a few times.

So far I bought a Mystery Ranch Pack for myself, a Big Agnes Encampment 15 with Nemo Air Pad and a Mountainsmith Shelter. I need a GPS, I likely will get a Garmin Inreach to make my wife feel better and a backpacking stove also a pack and sleeping system for my son. It makes it tough since he is 6'5 and 260 lbs so he can't use the external frame pack I have from my college years. I got too fat to use it and he has a torso that's almost 3 inches longer. Trying to keep the cost down so for him looking for something more budget than mine because he will get my stuff when I can't do this anymore. Besides it will toughen him up.

If anyone has done a trip like this I would appreciate any guidance you can provide since my time frame for research and getting everything together has been condensed? Is their anything I am forgetting? If you've hunted this area or can give me advise on a better area it would be much appreciated!

Sounds like this is somewhat of a first time backcountry trip for you. I'd gather your gear and do a couple of shakedown trips this summer to determine what works and does not work.

Sounds like this is somewhat of a first time backcountry trip for you. I'd gather your gear and do a couple of shakedown trips this summer to determine what works and does not work.

This is huge. Being in great habitat but uncomfortable and miserable because of gear, or lack there of, means you end the hunt early.

Otherwise good luck, sounds like a heck of a trip!

I’m familiar with that unit from when I lived in Colorado. The area you are considering is steep, rugged terrain that you can’t truly appreciate by looking at Google Earth or other satellite imagery. I didn’t see boots on your gear list. That is number one in my opinion for any hunt, especially one in an area like this. The elk may be as high as 12,000 feet or more during archery. I would avoid the week that archery overlaps with muzzleloader season.

I'd also suggest avoiding the week of muzzleloader. Another thing to consider is having several plans. My first time out I had a plan A and found out when I got there the road was closed. Ended up having to form a new plan on the fly and it really messed things up. Still saw elk, but didn't tag out. The other thing I would at least consider is do several short trips rather than one long one. So if you hunt ten days, do several 2 or 3 day hunts in slightly different areas until you have them figured out. I feel like if I hike in several miles with 10 days of gear, I'm really committed to that one area.

I’m familiar with that unit from when I lived in Colorado. The area you are considering is steep, rugged terrain that you can’t truly appreciate by looking at Google Earth or other satellite imagery. I didn’t see boots on your gear list. That is number one in my opinion for any hunt, especially one in an area like this. The elk may be as high as 12,000 feet or more during archery. I would avoid the week that archery overlaps with muzzleloader season.

The boots I have are Lowa Camino's and I likely will be getting my son the same or the Salomon Quests. We plan on hunting the first two weeks of the archery season. Your starting to scare me about this unit. I know nothing about the area. When I started searching on google I searched for OTC Elk units in colorado and this unit came up specifically in like five of the searches including an article that had it as one of the larger number of elk herds and higher than average success with slightly less hunters. I am as close to sea level as you can get with the tides on full moons and storms coming up through the storm sewers to into my yard. Is there a unit that maybe is less steep that is OTC with decent success ratio. Not looking for your spot just some guidance in where to look. Thanks in advance!

It has been 20 years since I hunted CO, so my knowledge of current herds and success rates or even what is OTC now is nothing, but I did take my dad from PA up on the Uncompagre plateau with some success back then, that would have been west of Delta/Montrose. It didn't suffocate a 50yo smoker that he was, nor was it stupid steep, just a fair mix of terrain. I guided hunters from CA in North east NV where we took them from sea level, to 5000 feet airport, to 9600 feet base camp, and hunted up, elevation sickness is real, read up on it, and pay attention to yourself physically.

It has been 20 years since I hunted CO, so my knowledge of current herds and success rates or even what is OTC now is nothing, but I did take my dad from PA up on the Uncompagre plateau with some success back then, that would have been west of Delta/Montrose. It didn't suffocate a 50yo smoker that he was, nor was it stupid steep, just a fair mix of terrain. I guided hunters from CA in North east NV where we took them from sea level, to 5000 feet airport, to 9600 feet base camp, and hunted up, elevation sickness is real, read up on it, and pay attention to yourself physically.

Thanks for the info!

The boots I have are Lowa Camino's and I likely will be getting my son the same or the Salomon Quests. We plan on hunting the first two weeks of the archery season. Your starting to scare me about this unit. I know nothing about the area. When I started searching on google I searched for OTC Elk units in colorado and this unit came up specifically in like five of the searches including an article that had it as one of the larger number of elk herds and higher than average success with slightly less hunters. I am as close to sea level as you can get with the tides on full moons and storms coming up through the storm sewers to into my yard. Is there a unit that maybe is less steep that is OTC with decent success ratio. Not looking for your spot just some guidance in where to look. Thanks in advance!

Sorry, not trying to scare you out of trying that area, but you just need to be prepared and have the right mindset to have a safe and enjoyable hunt. You can’t get “too fit” to hunt that area, especially coming from low elevation. Take a few days to allow some time for gradual acclimation at the beginning of your hunt if time allows, and be aware of the signs of altitude sickness.
There are no easy OTC hunts in Colorado. This area can be good because of the difficult terrain and the abundance of sanctuaries where elk can hide. OTC units with easy terrain won’t hold elk long. They either get shot, move into more rugged areas, or move onto private land.

To echo some of what has been said above.
You cannot be in too good of shape, constant battle that I am not winning yet.

Sounds like you have boots you like and you bought the pack I wish I could afford.

Regarding altitude affects..........as an Easterner ( Gloucester County NJ ) I can say the last time in CO,
Even with the benefit of a gondola to carry me to Dercum Summit or vail Summit = It took me days to acclimate to the altitude
I could not drink enough water,legs were hurting and I felt like I had a hangover and I could not imagine being at 12K feet with a pack on until maybe day 3 when I felt much better.

Not sure I saw you mention your shelter for staying dry overnight?
I can say that when I was in AZ to accompany my friend last year on a late Bull Tag on Dec 1st.
The shots I would have needed to take in AZ with a bow were much farther than I have ever needed from my tree stands in NJ.
Now this was not CO but the Alpine areas near Flagstaff and over 10K looked much like your hunt will look.
Needless to say I was dragging behind the other 3 guys when we would trailhead out each day to glass several mountains.

I made it a goal to drop 30 lbs at a minimum and get in the best shape that I can before my 2019 hunt.
Good luck and enjoy the time with your son...............we only have them for a minute don't we?

God Bless you and safety on your trip.

10 Dogs

To echo some of what has been said above.
You cannot be in too good of shape, constant battle that I am not winning yet.

Sounds like you have boots you like and you bought the pack I wish I could afford.

Regarding altitude affects..........as an Easterner ( Gloucester County NJ ) I can say the last time in CO,
Even with the benefit of a gondola to carry me to Dercum Summit or vail Summit = It took me days to acclimate to the altitude
I could not drink enough water,legs were hurting and I felt like I had a hangover and I could not imagine being at 12K feet with a pack on until maybe day 3 when I felt much better.

Not sure I saw you mention your shelter for staying dry overnight?
I can say that when I was in AZ to accompany my friend last year on a late Bull Tag on Dec 1st.
The shots I would have needed to take in AZ with a bow were much farther than I have ever needed from my tree stands in NJ.
Now this was not CO but the Alpine areas near Flagstaff and over 10K looked much like your hunt will look.
Needless to say I was dragging behind the other 3 guys when we would trailhead out each day to glass several mountains.

I made it a goal to drop 30 lbs at a minimum and get in the best shape that I can before my 2019 hunt.
Good luck and enjoy the time with your son...............we only have them for a minute don't we?

God Bless you and safety on your trip.

10 Dogs

I like the boots very much. The MR pack wasn't one of the hunting specific models. I bought the Glacier after speaking with someone in customer service. It looks like a smaller Marshall is rated for 90 lbs vs 150 lbs and is about the same size as the Metcalf. I got it at moosejaw.com for $250 when you figure in the points I earned towards additional purchases and an additional 10% cash back from activejunky.com. I suspect that they don't measure the size of the additional pockets and I am able to put my Mountainsmith Shelter Lt , my Nemo Insulated air pad, stove and fuel canister, rain jacket, first aid, TP and kill kit all in the outer pockets. My sleeping bag fits in the lower pocket. The main pocket of the pack would only be half filled with my clothing, cook kit and food. If I need more room I can move the sleeping bag out and strap it to the outside and shift my clothes and cook kit to the sleeping bag pocket and assuming successful putting the Game bags in the main compartment. I can also get additional Straps and a Grab it if need be for a fraction of what it would cost to get the hunting specific models.

I started in January with at least one day a week hiking 5 miles or so with 50 pounds to acclimate myself to using a pack as best I can in addition to my regular workouts. I am down 20 lbs since the holidays and working hard to get in as good of shape as I can between now and the end of the summer.

FYI. If your interested I just got an email that backcountry.com has MR on sale for 25% off and then activejunky.com has 9% cash back. The Glacier is 262 and the larger terraplane is $299.

Here's another tip for you, that could possibly be very relevant this Fall. (or not?) Here, in Southern Colorado, we're currently headed into a bit of a drought. My friends in Central Colorado are also reporting dry conditions. We had very little snow this past Winter. I've been out in the backcountry, and the creeks are low, and many seasonal Springs and drainages are dried up already. If this doesn't change, I believe it will impact where you find game, or where you should be focusing your attention. If you're doing internet scouting, this would be easy to overlook.
I was planning on hunting over some wallows this Fall, but now wondering if they'll be dried up? Of course if you do find a waterhole, it might be a great spot to hang out?

Here's another tip for you, that could possibly be very relevant this Fall. (or not?) Here, in Southern Colorado, we're currently headed into a bit of a drought. My friends in Central Colorado are also reporting dry conditions. We had very little snow this past Winter. I've been out in the backcountry, and the creeks are low, and many seasonal Springs and drainages are dried up already. If this doesn't change, I believe it will impact where you find game, or where you should be focusing your attention. If you're doing internet scouting, this would be easy to overlook.
I was planning on hunting over some wallows this Fall, but now wondering if they'll be dried up? Of course if you do find a waterhole, it might be a great spot to hang out?

Thanks for the info. I for sure wouldn't be able to find that with my scouting on google earth. But that should also concentrate where the herds are I would assume.

I did an OTC above Cedaredge several years ago, we got into some elk and country was not too bad by Colorado standards, so I'd give the Grand Mesa a look, good luck.

One tip I have for friends who come up to hike/hunt; any exercise is great and cardio is the best, but it's hard to get into hiking shape from riding a bike or running. If you are hunting hard in the mountains expect to climb 2000 vertical feet a day. Assuming 12ft floors that is 167 floors, if you can get yourself to do 167 flights of stairs a day around the house, at an office building, wherever, that alone will help you more than a 5 mile run every day or spending an hour at the gym.

Since you are from NJ you could always take your son for a weekend and hike the AT around the Delaware Water Gap. Even Cape May is only 3 hours to Wind Gap. This way you can try out new camping gear and break in boots.

I hunted 47 one time but the northern side near the Reudi Reservoir. I would recommend staying in Basalt a night or maybe 2 to help get acclimated but that side of the unit where we were at was not too bad by CO standards. Someone mentioned Grand Mesa and that is not a bad option either.

Since you are from NJ you could always take your son for a weekend and hike the AT around the Delaware Water Gap. Even Cape May is only 3 hours to Wind Gap. This way you can try out new camping gear and break in boots.

I hunted 47 one time but the northern side near the Reudi Reservoir. I would recommend staying in Basalt a night or maybe 2 to help get acclimated but that side of the unit where we were at was not too bad by CO standards. Someone mentioned Grand Mesa and that is not a bad option either.

Thanks for the info and we plan on doing 2-3 trips on the AT in the Gap to get the kinks out!

While I am at it I would love you guys to critique our layering system. We will be there for the first 2 weeks of the archery season.

I planned on packing one each of a SS T with wicking fabric, then a Long sleeve wicking shirt, then a microfleece turtleneck, a down vest, my Cabela's Legacy Fleece jacket and a Cabela's Goretex rain jacket. Mix and match based upon conditions. For pants I am not going to wear camo since I discovered the Eddie Bauer Guide nylon pants. These are the most comfortable pants I have ever worn. Two Pair of Darn Tough lightweight merino socks with a coolmax liner sock. My boots will be Lowa Camino's and my son's will be Salomon Quest 4D's.

I realize I could save a pound or so by eliminating the Legacy Fleece and going with for instance a Sitka Kelvin lite but the additional cost is prohibitive. The above layers are what I use here for Whitetails for the entire season down to the single digits except I would add long underwear and my bib's.

I think you are good to go on your layers :) Expect that during the day in August it's going to be hot, but will get cold at night. I often will bring less clothing during archery season to save on weight and then just climb in my bag while water is boiling for a mountain house. You should be totally fine with what you have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back