PEAX Equipment

DIY Colorado Archery Elk Hunt

I hunted that area last year. I only spent one weekend in there and a day of scouting about a month before the season. I will echo what others have said. Unit 47 is a tough area to hunt. The terrain will beat you down if you let it. If you really want to be like BigFin, carry a small game head as there are grouse everywhere. I will be back there for archery season again this year as it is somewhat of a challenge I want to meet.

I have done 5 DIY Colorado bow hunts. None from a backpack camp but the gear is the same. You never know what the weather will be. I have had 90 degree days and 9 inches of snow on Sept 12. I always have some wool clothing handy. One thing you need to consider as you pick your clothing is if it is quiet or not.
Clothing rubbing on branches and bushes is not what you want. Elk calls (Carlton fighting cow call is my favorite) Primos makes a nice cow call also.
You can not be in to good a shape. Hydration is a big part of your performance. Plenty of water with a back up supply where you leave your vehicle. Plan every detail. Best of luck to you.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back