Caribou Gear

Discouraged and weather

cwitherow

Just got back from our Wyoming trip. We hunted a new unit this time, after being unsuccessful in 2018, and on the drive out had high hopes. When we arrived at around 8am (drove through the night), it was like we were at a state park campground. There were RV's parked every quarter mile, with ATV's and side by sides cruising everywhere. We found a spot and set up camp. We hiked in and over every ridge or in every valley were hunters either on foot or driving in. The next day we spent the morning driving the unit to see if we could find SOMEWHERE where there weren't any other hunters. Did some more hiking and when we finally saw some antelope, they got bumped by an ATV coming over the hill. At this point there was weather coming in so we made the decision to head home.

Despite all that, I wouldn't trade it for anything and look forward to going back. I keep reading that antelope are a great into to western hunting, but after two unsuccessful trips, I'm starting to think we might just be bad at hunting!

Sounds like you need to save some more points and try to get into a limited entry unit that gives out fewer permits. And if possible time your trip where other seasons do not collide with antelope. Good luck in the future.

Sounds like you need to save some more points and try to get into a limited entry unit that gives out fewer permits. And if possible time your trip where other seasons do not collide with antelope. Good luck in the future.
This isn't a bad idea. WY used to be an every year or other year hunt for antelope. I think now it's moved to every 2-3 years.

I also think that Covid has so many more hunters out this year. I talked with a handful of groups while in WY and they were all first timers out west. Each one said they had time and money because of covid that otherwise they wouldn't, so they booked out here.

It seems the weather has been awful every time I've stepped out the house so far this year. Started in bow season with the heat and wind. Sometimes it's just like that.

The crowds have always been my biggest drawback to public land hunting, but you can get away from them, the unfortunate part is it takes time to find the places there will be game that few hunters either know about, or don't want to walk in to. Hang in there.

Just got back from our Wyoming trip. We hunted a new unit this time, after being unsuccessful in 2018, and on the drive out had high hopes. When we arrived at around 8am (drove through the night), it was like we were at a state park campground. There were RV's parked every quarter mile, with ATV's and side by sides cruising everywhere. We found a spot and set up camp. We hiked in and over every ridge or in every valley were hunters either on foot or driving in. The next day we spent the morning driving the unit to see if we could find SOMEWHERE where there weren't any other hunters. Did some more hiking and when we finally saw some antelope, they got bumped by an ATV coming over the hill. At this point there was weather coming in so we made the decision to head home.

Despite all that, I wouldn't trade it for anything and look forward to going back. I keep reading that antelope are a great into to western hunting, but after two unsuccessful trips, I'm starting to think we might just be bad at hunting!
If you dont mind sharing what unit did you hunt?

My brother and I just got back from Wyoming for pronghorn. He had a buck and 2 doe tags and I picked up a doe tag just because I was going to go with him. We were there for 2 days and never saw another hunter. Not one.
I don't know what unit your hunting, But I would look else where.

Edit: The unit we hunted had been open for over two weeks when we got there.

Last edited:
Sounds like the unit you were in opened mid Oct while possibly elkantlers unit opened 10/1

Open weekend is NUTS, come at least a week into the season and it's like night and day.

Public spot I've been bowhunting mostly alone with lots of antelope was wall to wall out of state trucks first 2 days of the season (thur/fri). I have a trip back east rest of this week, hoping it's back to normal when I get back!

Sounds like the unit you were in opened mid Oct while possibly elkantlers unit opened 10/1

Open weekend is NUTS, come at least a week into the season and it's like night and day.

Public spot I've been bowhunting mostly alone with lots of antelope was wall to wall out of state trucks first 2 days of the season (thur/fri). I have a trip back east rest of this week, hoping it's back to normal when I get back!
It was opening weekend, and going a week later is advice I will make sure to write down!

It was opening weekend, and going a week later is advice I will make sure to write down!
This. I never hunt opening antelope weekend in WY, certainly never the rifle open but occasionally the archery opener. have been 5 times in last 14 years. Great that they have LONG seasons.

This year I hunted Sept 28-29 thereabouts and Rifle had started Sept 20.. Saw ZERO hunters so was able to decoy and spot stalk with bow peak rut. Perfect condition and arrowed two and rifled one in 2.5 days.

Maybe shoe horn a bit of time to go back this year?

This. I never hunt opening antelope weekend in WY, certainly never the rifle open but occasionally the archery opener. have been 5 times in last 14 years. Great that they have LONG seasons.

This year I hunted Sept 28-29 thereabouts and Rifle had started Sept 20.. Saw ZERO hunters so was able to decoy and spot stalk with bow peak rut. Perfect condition and arrowed two and rifled one in 2.5 days.

Being a teacher makes taking additional time off damn near impossible.

I have to admit that the advice to hunt later in season is not always correct either. It is probably easier to kill an unspooked antelope on the first day of season than at any other time in the season. Some units are just plain out flat and once the lopes are spooked there is no way to ever get close. Not much you can do about the weather. I generally plan to lose 1-2 days to weather in a week of hunting the west.
The advice to build points to get into better units is spot on.

I personally honed my craft on mule deer out west. That may also be a better intro than trying to belly crawl on antelope and taking 400 yard+ shots.

To demonstrate what opening day CAN change:

I went out opening AFTERNOON, remember after hunting essentially alone for 3 weeks for archery.

Never saw one, found 5 dead body remains (at least, hard to match up gut piles with pile of skins later) but at least 5, all most likely taken early morning. By 3 in the afternoon, nothing but people.

I have to admit that the advice to hunt later in season is not always correct either. It is probably easier to kill an unspooked antelope on the first day of season than at any other time in the season. Some units are just plain out flat and once the lopes are spooked there is no way to ever get close. Not much you can do about the weather. I generally plan to lose 1-2 days to weather in a week of hunting the west.
The advice to build points to get into better units is spot on.

I personally honed my craft on mule deer out west. That may also be a better intro than trying to belly crawl on antelope and taking 400 yard+ shots.
Not to change gears of this thread, but is WY good state for beginner diy mule deer? dumb question and will be using the search function later? I have a good understanding of their point system, website, etc.

Not to change gears of this thread, but is WY good state for beginner diy mule deer? dumb question and will be using the search function later? I have a good understanding of their point system, website, etc.

Yes, Wyoming is a good state to try DIY for new mule deer hunter. I've killed deer and pronghorn in at least 8 different units in Wyoming. I've also killed Mule deer in 4 different states. Overall, I think killing a mule deer on a general season tag in Wyoming is much more difficult than killing a pronghorn in Wyoming(even in a tough unit). Don't set your expectations too high for a DYI mule deer hunt if you were unable to fill your Wyoming pronghorn tag.

If you’re going for two days and hunting early season I would suggest, if possible, scouting the day before the opener and hunting the opener - especially in a new unit.

Waiting till the second or even third week is not always great advice, as others have said above. That has been my strategy the last few years and this year it really bit us in the ass. It was still super crowded, all the antelope that I saw were highly pressured and as a result very skittish.

What Khunter said!! I avoid openers like the plague for most species (though it does depend on the unit, some are very quiet). Let the craziness pass and you will have a much more enjoyable hunt.

What Khunter said!! I avoid openers like the plague for most species (though it does depend on the unit, some are very quiet). Let the craziness pass and you will have a much more enjoyable hunt.
I had been archery hunting a Block Management Area for antelope all season and saw one hunter the entire time. I showed up for rifle opener and there was at least 60 vehicles parked everywhere. It was an hour before shooting light and I could still see the field just covered in orange. I turned around and was home just after sunrise.

Back