Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Disclosing SSN to buy hunting and fishing licenses.

Yes Tom. Owning a firearm is one of the rights enumerated in the Constitution. It's very similar to the way the right to hunt and fish is listed in the constitutions of 22 states. Article IX, Section 7 of the Montana Constitution states "The opportunity to harvest wild fish and wild game animals is a heritage that shall forever be preserved to the individual citizens of the state."
Nowhere in that state constitution does it say you do not need to buy a hunting license.
Owning a firearm may be a right but you will still need the proper hunting license to harvest those animals so still the need to disclose your SSN.

At this point privacy is an illusion. A few bucks worth of bitcoin and you can get all the soc. sec. #s you need online. Connecting DL#s, SocSec #, and the like to email addresses, mailing addresses and cell phone numbers makes it so if you have one you pretty much can get them all. Keep your passwords super secure so folks don't empty your accounts, but don't lose sleep over a legit govt agency asking for such a now mundane piece of data - the horse has left the barn on this long ago.
It's interesting how these things evolve in the minds of folks over time. For instance my uncle was 40 with FICO score were invented, I was 1, our thoughts around them are different.

SSNs were invented in 1936

I think a lot of folks are just used to being ask for them on everything. Pretty common these days to have to give it to rent an apartment, setup utilities, driver's license, get a mortgage, open a bank account, etc etc

It's interesting how these things evolve in the minds of folks over time. For instance my uncle was 40 with FICO score were invented, I was 1, our thoughts around them are different.

SSNs were invented in 1936

I think a lot of folks are just used to being ask for them on everything. Pretty common these days to have to give it to rent an apartment, setup utilities, driver's license, get a mortgage, open a bank account, etc etc
Would asking you to detail the differences of perspective you and your uncle have over FICO scores derail this thread? And if that would be the case, please do so ;)

Would asking you to detail the differences of perspective you and your uncle have over FICO scores derail this thread? And if that would be the case, please do so ;)
Mostly just a disconnect between how things have changed and how life works.

Broad strokes here but as a 70+ year old nothing from his 20's can really come back to bite him in the ass. No credit scores, no internet, no digital pictures... lol no one had a cell phone camera.

He bought his house before he had a credit score, it's payed off now. He doesn't plan on selling it or buying a new one. He's retired. FICO score means nothing to him, never really did.

Mostly just a disconnect between how things have changed and how life works.

Broad strokes here but as a 70+ year old nothing from his 20's can really come back to bite him in the ass. No credit scores, no internet, no digital pictures... lol no one had a cell phone camera.

He bought his house before he had a credit score, it's payed off now. He doesn't plan on selling it or buying a new one. He's retired. FICO score means nothing to him, never really did.
I am thankful everyday that my buddies didn’t have cell phone cameras when we were teens.

So the answer is ZERO because we're talking about hunting and fishing licenses here not firearms.
You don't need a firearm to go fishing but you DO need a fishing license and you will have to disclose your SSN in order to buy one to have access to your so called "right".

Yes. And you need to disclose your birthdate to buy a gun. That doesn't mean it isn't a right.

Gun ownership is a 2nd A protection. Fortunately, SSN or even a telephone number doesn't have to be given to buy a gun. They made it just an option. It may or may not speed up the NICS process. A number of states require a social or part of a social to get a CCW. Texas gladly dropped the SSN block from its CCW application in 2014 altogether. Certainly, there are deadbeats who like to spend child support money on guns and other fun shooting stuff.
Sorry to break it to you but name, city of birth and date of birth is also in your socsec file - so it is the same damn thing as giving socsec#.

If you have a MT DL, they already have your SSN.

Remember when a lot of states simply used a person’s Social Security Number for the driver’s license number, and anyone with a scanner could hear the cops call it in?
I didn't have a clue what my ss# was until I went to college in Montana, where it seemed I had to use that number for everything. Hopefully that's changed, at least a bit...

Bro… it’s 2022, anyone who gives a shit could buy your driver’s license, SSN, credit card #, and your entire browsing history on the dark web.

No one’s information is even remotely safe, we basically rely on safety of numbers and by things like good passwords and two factor identification to make it a bit more of a PITA… folks are lazy.

Point being, who cares… anyone who is worried about that has an infantile understanding of the world.

Aw crap, you mean "password" isn't a good password anymore? How about "Password#1"?

Aw crap, you mean "password" isn't a good password anymore? How about "Password#1"?
Here is the 2021 most commonly used passwords pulled together by a security testing company. I view it as a good thing - you don't have to be the fasted buck in the herd, just avoid being the slowest - plenty of low-hanging stupidity before the criminals get to me ;)

1642800461692.png

PS by way of scale, their audit found over 3.5 million US logins using "123456"

I am thankful everyday that my buddies didn’t have cell phone cameras when we were teens.
But, wouldn’t it be fun to be able to pull up videos of a few of those, “Here, hold my beer!” moments from the pre-smartphone years?

Yes. And you need to disclose your birthdate to buy a gun. That doesn't mean it isn't a right.
You still haven't answered the question as to which states don't require a hunting or fishing license because it's a right and not have to disclose your SSN.

You still haven't answered the question as to which states don't require a hunting or fishing license because it's a right and not have to disclose your SSN.

What? I mean...I did. You literally quoted it. You're either being intentionally obtuse or you're the victim of a terrible identity theft--someone logged into your account and had a conversation on this thread that you've totally missed. Those rascals. Either way, let me summarize how it went-

Me - "Hunting is a right listed in the constitutions of many states"
Identity thief - "Really? So in which of those "many" states are fishing and hunting licenses not needed because it's a right?"
Me - "As many as let you buy a firearm from an FFL without giving your name. Just because you need a license doesn't mean it's not a right. 22 states specify in their constitutions that hunting is a right."
Identity thief - "So the answer is ZERO"
Me - "Yes"
You - "You haven't answered the question as to which state's don't require a hunting license."

What am I missing here? You seem to think that if something is a "right" it means no restrictions of any sort can be placed upon it. I used the second amendment as an example of how that isn't true. You said that doesn't apply because we're talking about hunting. So words have unique meanings when they're associated with hunting? Fine. If hunting was in fact a "right" in a certain state, what would that mean to you? That you're allowed to do it without a license? Is that the sole hang-up you have? Or would season restrictions also have to go? Species restrictions? Would a right to hunt mean you're allowed to hunt anything? Hunt people? Is that what you want? Well, I'm sorry, but I just can't get behind that. I know you're mad at the guy that stole your identity, but that's too much. No siree Bob.

Seems to my that you're somewhat confused. o_O
I said that in order to exercise those "rights" you must have a hunting or fishing license.
In order to purchase said license your SSN still requires disclosing.
The OP's reluctance to disclose his SSN is what this thread was about. Those rights you keep bringing up have nothing to do with any of this.
I'm out. ✌️

Last edited:
The only real protection is to purchase licenses on line and "assume" the agencies have solid data security in place. MI uses DL as means to purchase licenses since your SSN is on file. Many states use your assigned ID number when you log in to purchase licenses.
I get so pissed off at medical offices that update your info every year with a freaking clipboard? Our personal data has been breached 3 times in last 3 years. Guess from where? EVERY one from medical databases! I refuse to fill out beyond my name, address and prescriptions. Anything else KMA! Last time I was asked for SSN, I told them on file and BTW, can I have yours on paper too?

So we are in total data lockdown since personal data confirmed on dark web. Oh yippee.

I'd be more curious on just how many so called deadbeat parents have been caught from this requirement? Is the risk to all worth the benefit?

IMO, SSN requirement was a misguided intent to track deadbeats. IRS should have been used instead.

I'd be more curious on just how many so called deadbeat parents have been caught from this requirement? Is the risk to all worth the benefit?

IMO, SSN requirement was a misguided intent to track deadbeats. IRS should have been used instead.

Two benefits of linking a bio-donor delinquency to releasing a state tax refund, processing a professional license renewal and allowing the purchase of recreational license: 1) Deadbeats get current on their obligations and 2) Aspiring Deadbeats make real efforts to stay current. Simple as that. Heck, Steve Jobs of Apple Computers fame paid a doctor to lie telling the Court that Steve was impotent so Steve could shirk his parental duties for his bio-daughter. I guess a few billion dollars were not enough for Steve to be a father much less generous.

AZ requires your SS number to make sure you are not delinquent in paying child support.....even if you are 11 years old.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back