Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Did you shoot your first deer with open sights?

Did you shoot your first deer with open sights?

• Yes and I am over 60 years old

Votes: 36 15.5%
  • No and I am over 60 years old

Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Yes and I am 40-60 years old

Votes: 73 31.3%
  • No and I am 40-60 years old

Votes: 36 15.5%
  • Yes and I am less than 40 years old

Votes: 35 15.0%
  • No and I am less than 40 years old

Votes: 45 19.3%

• Total voters
My first deer was right outside of Alma. Deer drive and I was on the end. .300 wby from 5 to 10 yards, 4x fixed scope. The little buck did cartwheels before it came to a stop.

First deer was with a remington 870 (rifled barrel) with open sights. Pretty sure I was 14, so 2011? Michigan youth season. I think it's something definitely worth doing at least once in your life, but I don't feel like it necessarily has to be your first. At the time, I didn't think anything of it, and I think I would have been just as happy with a scoped gun. I actually had a scoped Savage 220 that I didn't trust as much as this gun (firing pin issues), so I opted for the 870.2011-09-25_19-01-09_494.jpg

Only technically. I shot it through the heart with a scope, then shot it on the run with the irons. Then I shot it again after it fell. 😄

I don't really see how a peep sight is much of a handicap if you have good light. In the age of scopes and red dots people are ignorant of the great precision you can attain with irons even at distance. We have a 30/30 that most of the men in the family have taken deer with. My son took pride in joining our ranks when he was the same age as your boy. He's an aperture sight aficionado and uses one in 4-H, too.

He finally conceded a scope is better for low light hunting. So there's one on it now. That'll probably be his deer rifle from now on. BUT I'm in GA and you don't get many shots it won't handle. If he draws an elk tag I'll loan him something else. I feel like we should be careful to not give our children too much. They need to want and find a way to earn.

You didn't ask, but a 30/30 with full-house loads is a pain to shoot. It's the guns, not the cartridge. Load a Speer 130gr with a starting load and it's right pleasant. Max load still isn't as bad as full house 150gr. I'm a fan.

Back