Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Did ya hear TX is freezing over?

Met a hottie years back from Amarillo and one winter day decided to head that way & meet up,at her suggestion.
Snowy winter as usual for NM but the roads were all plowed & ice free. Until I hit the border. 40 was packed ice & drifts onto the road. I turned around at the second overpass in the dark & went home.
Never heard from that cowgirl again after I called her & let her know what happened. Never been called a wuss for being smart before................LOL

Met a hottie years back from Amarillo and one winter day decided to head that way & meet up,at her suggestion.
Snowy winter as usual for NM but the roads were all plowed & ice free. Until I hit the border. 40 was packed ice & drifts onto the road. I turned around at the second overpass in the dark & went home.
Never heard from that cowgirl again after I called her & let her know what happened. Never been called a wuss for being smart before................LOL

Amarillo by Morning. Well unless there are flurries or some other Equivalent natural disaster.

I even had the CD playing.
That was that winter 10 years ago. Did not thaw out in Amarillo for a month. Hmmmmmmmmmm,maybe I was dumb.

I even had the CD playing.
That was that winter 10 years ago. Did not thaw out in Amarillo for a month. Hmmmmmmmmmm,maybe I was dumb.
The reminiscing of the hottie must be playing tricks with your memory. There hasnt been any cold front hit Texas till now. I bet she was blond

Care to back that up with facts? Texas actually gets a pretty high % of it's electricity generation from wind. It's one of those things that is pretty hard to put an exact number on but generally it is reported to be a little over 20%. The problem is that it fluctuates wildly. In the spring when electric use is low, the wind generation is giant. Sometimes as much as 50% of the electric demand. The peak wind generation last year was in June at 24 Gigawatts. The other day when the rolling blackouts were going, wind accounted for less than 1 Gigawatt of generation. The usage was around 45 Gigawatts at the time.

You can actually get real numbers pretty easily instead of pulling them out of the air.

Current load conditions - http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/html/loadForecastVsActualCurrentDay.html

Current wind generation - http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/html/CURRENT_DAYCOP_HSL.html

The wind is actually blowing a little today so the wind generation is actually over 10% right now. It was less than 2% the last few days when the rolling blackouts were going though.

There were actually several wind turbines that were frozen and not turning through all of this even when the wind was blowing. The people that posted the pictures just didn't make a trip out to west Texas to take a picture, they grabbed a stock photo of a frozen wind turbine that happened to be a few years old and from a different country. Trust me, you don't want a wind turbine to sling a load of ice off the blades spinning at 100+ mph.
My point was that people all over the internet are blaming the power outages in Texas on green power and that is not really the truth. I am not a fan of green power.

20210219_111136.jpg

A backup generator for one of the small systems I operate under contract. In a town that hasn't had a power outage for nearly 5 years. That stretch of water in the background? The Ohio River. The metal platform the generator sets on is at the 500 year floodplain. The village only needed to go to the 100 year floodplain but they choose this to be prepared for worst case scenario. My point is, you can be prepared for a worst case scenario, a "perfect" storm of events, but you better be prepared to spend the money knowing you'll more than likely never need the safeguards. It sure is nice when you do though!

On a side note, I'd be absolutely shocked if there aren't consequences for all water and wastewater systems resulting from this. You don't just put seven million people on boil advisory without it changing up the way things are ran. Much like Flint did with how we handle lead and copper in drinking water. Fun times.

*Obligatory crazy to hot diagram goes here....ya wuss ; )

Winter events in Texas are booms for grocery stores. Packed all week. Chili and beef stew winterizing at our place.

Louisiana as well.

I still can't find a loaf of bread. Does the daily intake of sliced bread go through the roof when there is snow on the ground?

I just want a damn turkey sandwich to take to work for lunch.

Back