Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Despite the odds, how many Sheep Tags have you Drawn or Won in your Life?

WesternRookie

<1 club, some other raffle, state draw system

What sheep tags have you drawn or won in your life?

When was this and what did you draw?
(ie: Utah bighorn in 2001, Desert sheep in New Mexico, in 2020, etc.)

Hoping to hear from folks who got lucky so others can feel encouraged

once upon a time, ewe tags were drawn on 2nd choice while collecting PPs, those were fun times... quarter century later, I'm still hoping to draw a ram tag somewhere!

In about 25 years of applying in MT/ID/AK. I have drawn 2 tags in AK. One with about 7%, the other was about 2%. I gave up on MT and ID a long time ago. Just wasn't worth it to me, considering I've killed few. I'll let someone else have my chance and hunt them OTC here. I almost didn't put in this year.

My wife drew 2 tags here as well over about 12 years, one with 4% and another at 9%.

I drew a Montana sheep tag in 2008 for District 210 Lower Rock Creek. I had the most bonus points possible at that time but can't remember how many that was. I believe it was 2009 or 2010 that the Rock Creek herd got hit with pneumonia and the herd had a major die off. I believe the year I had the tag FWP issued 5 permits and now they issue just one tag in that district I believe. Obviously it is much harder now to draw that tag. It was a once-in-a-lifetime hunt for me although I am hopeful that my kids get a shot at it while I am still able to hunt with them.

I drew a Montana sheep tag in 2008 for District 210 Lower Rock Creek. I had the most bonus points possible at that time but can't remember how many that was. I believe it was 2009 or 2010 that the Rock Creek herd got hit with pneumonia and the herd had a major die off. I believe the year I had the tag FWP issued 5 permits and now they issue just one tag in that district I believe. Obviously it is much harder now to draw that tag. It was a once-in-a-lifetime hunt for me although I am hopeful that my kids get a shot at it while I am still able to hunt with them.
My wife drew a ewe permit in that unit in 2006 and was sad to see it have a die off. It's a nice area and had a good herd at the time. Several other units had big die offs at the same time that year. Bonner, East Fork, Upper Rock creek, and one other if I recall correctly.

My wife drew a ewe permit in that unit in 2006 and was sad to see it have a die off. It's a nice area and had a good herd at the time. Several other units had big die offs at the same time that year. Bonner, East Fork, Upper Rock creek, and one other if I recall correctly.
Yep - those die-offs were tough to see back then and the herds haven't fully recovered although all of those herds have permits offered these days - just not as many. I love that Rock Creek drainage - such a memorable hunt!!

Back