MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Despite the odds, how many Sheep Tags have you Drawn or Won in your Life?

I love the Blackhills and I love sheep hunting stories. Did you post a thread about that hunt?
I searched thru the forums but failed to turn up a thread. And 13 years is a long time to remember a story.
Let me see if I can come up with some details.

I have drawn a mountain goat tag in 2011 that was a successful hunt. I have applied for bighorn sheep since 2004 without success.
Now, this year we will be hunting Spain for Ibex and Mouflon sheep. So, I will continue to apply for sheep and purchase the bonus point. It will just be my luck to draw this year. I will have to weigh my options. Oh heck with it. If I draw I will hunt late. But, no deluding myself into believing I will draw a BH tag. MTG

I've drawn some very tough tags (moose, Mtn Goat), but no real luck on sheep. I drew a WY area 1 sheep tag a few years ago, but that was using preference points. Also drew Chugach bow tag but its an extremely difficult hunt and the draw odds were about 12%, so not that hard to draw. Still trying for tags in AZ, NV, NM, CO, UT, and MT. Even with a bunch of points in some of those states my draw odds are typically in the 0.1-0.3% range, and mostly just treading water. Just hope I can draw something in the next 10 years while I can still walk!

Well 4 so far, 3 CO archery (filled two) and WY. Not sure what the big deal is. Hope to draw #5 in a few weeks here now that I've gotten up to 3pts again. No sense in waiting after all. Mountains are getting steeper.

It can happen but you have to play the game. Buy lots of raffle tickets and apply wherever you can afford.

Don't hate me Hunttalk-

2000 Draw- Colorado Archery ram tag with 3 points - First big game animal with a bow 157 P&Y ram solo on day 27 of 30.
2003 Draw - Colorado Rifle ewe tag with 0 points - Killed a nice ewe.
2006 Raffle - Arizona Desert Bighorn Society - Sold/traded for Alaska Dall sheep hunt - Killed a nice ram.
2008 Raffle - RMBS - Statewide Colorado Bighorn Sheep tag- Killed a 182 B&C ram after 34 days of hunting.
2009 Draw - Colorado Rifle Either sex mountain goat killed nice billy.
2011 Raffle - Full Curl Society - Dall Sheep hunt - First year there was a mix up and I had to return it couldn't have take a Dall and win.
2013 Raffle - Grand Slam Club Ovis Dall Sheep hunt in NWT- Traded up for a 2015 cancelation Stone Hunt in BC. Killed a nice ram.
2015 Draw - NM ibex nanny hunt for chance at a billy tag killed a nanny no luck in the billy draw.
2017 Draw - NM ibex nanny hunt for chance at a billy tag went solo missed a nanny.
2017 Raffle - RMSB Statewide Colorado mountain goat tag. Killed a nice billy
2019 Leftover list - Colorado Rifle ewe tag with 2 days left in the season killed a ewe solo.
2019 Draw - NM Aoudad Either sex tag great hunt passed on several smaller rams no harvest.
2020 Draw - NM Ibex bill archery tag - fun hunt saw several had smaller ones and ewes in range no harvest.
2021 Draw - Colorado Rifle nanny mountain goat tag tough hunt no harvest.

Those are just the sheep & goat raffle wins and draws.....

Sandbrew

MT Bighorn - 30 years
NV Desert Bighorn - 22 years
NV Cali Bighorn - 22 years
AZ Desert Bighorn - 21 years
UT Desert Bighorn - 13 years
UT Bighorn - 13 years
CO Desert Bighorn - 4 years
NM Desert Bighorn - 4 years
OR Bighorn - 8 years
WY Bighorn - 7 years
ID Bighorn - 2 years

Not sure what that totals up to. Add in a thousand dollars each year for raffles and Super Tags and I seem to be following my expected path that I'll likely go to my grave without drawing a sheep tag.

against tall odds,i drew nevada calif bhs as a non resident in 2017 w 6 bonus points!!!!pretty incredible as odds were 5000-1 as a n r,,,got a decent one considering i didnt know how to hunt sheep d i y. he was 8 yrs old,heavily broomed so i lost a bit of score,,he was mid 150's..just remember somebody will get lucky.now if nevada would just give me a deer tag one of these years lol,,12 points and waiting still.

Attachments

• image000000 (13).jpg
    image000000 (13).jpg
    984 KB · Views: 34
  • image000000 (11).jpg
    image000000 (11).jpg
    995.8 KB · Views: 34
  • image000000 (14).jpg
    image000000 (14).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • image000000 (15).jpg
    image000000 (15).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • image000000 (17).jpg
    image000000 (17).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
once upon a time, ewe tags were drawn on 2nd choice while collecting PPs, those were fun times... quarter century later, I'm still hoping to draw a ram tag somewhere!
I drew one of those in CO as NR. Zilch on my bighorn luck other than that. The ewe was cursed as my SUV broke down 100s of miles from home on the way to that hunt, the taxidermist went under, the cape was ruined in that process and I had not kept the skull as notched out the ewe horns to put in the mount. Finally found a guy willing to sell his ewe skull and slid off his ewe's horns to give back to him and glued my ewe's horns on the skull. If I get a bighorn ram then will track down a ewe cape and mount together.

Did draw an aoudad tag on state land in TX and got a free-range ram. The horns packed out heavy like a bighorn but not a bighorn. No curse there. Fun hunt though lots of things there to jab, slice, stick, bite and sting you.

Been applying since last century…

2007 CO Bighorn S12 Archery 3+7 pts

2018 UT Mountain Goat Beaver 12 points

2021 AZ Desert Bighorn 15DS 22 points

Should throw in 2018 Alaska Musk Ox, those are just like a sheep tag and no points to help.

Apply in all states but CA, OR, WA and many many many raffles every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back