Caribou Gear

Dear Outdoor Television

Two things that really bother me.
1. When an aminal has just been shot with a rifle that can be heard from a mile away and the hunter and his partner are still whispering, why?
2. When they are supposedly sneaking in on a very wary animal and then the camera shows them from about 20 yards in front of them.

So what does your ideal hunting show consist of?

I'd love to see one that's more Red-Green than Heavy Metal. It could be sponsored by Duct Tape, cheap camo and Tuck's Medicated Pads.

It'd be more popular than Bailin' with Palin or what ever it was called.

Well, there is a demographic for that they feel. They have convinced some sponsors there is as well. If not you won't have to worry about it when the sponsors don't see a return on investment these shows won't be funded.

But look at all the crap on television that it's hard to believe it's on the air. A lot of that stuff makes people a lot of money.

I hand out here because of the good company and I obviously enjoy the quality outdoor program and message of "Fresh Tracks" and "On your own adventures"

The Outdoor programming channels are not there to represent us or our message. I too am glad they are around but don't expect them to change.

<Begin Rant>It seems to me to be more about entertainment value than honoring the sport or the ethics of the hunt. I honestly think some of the shows out there will let a deer sit overnight just so that they can have the hero shot during daylight. I don't think it's at all about "we might spook him, and he might run off" IMHO it's about, The video will look better and be more entertaining with the hero shot during daylight. <End Rant>

Emphasis mine, but you hit the nail on the head I think.

All good observations and opinions. My personal peeve is the confusion of species as expressed when describing a mature bull elk or buck deer with impressively large and interesting antlers by referring to this magnificent trophy animal as a "toad".

This a 1st for me, but I agree 100% with the previous 26 post. I watched Jimmy Big Time while overnight traveling and laughed a lot.

You guys need to slow down! I`m trying to write all of this down so I know what not to do and say when I win my elk hunt with Randy! :D

I can`t stand that everyone who owns a camera and a YouTube account thinks he`s a professional hunter with a name that always ends with "****** Outdoors", and their hunting with their "good friends" at "***** Guide Service".
I agree with the naming of the animal as if it were a pet! I hate it!
Also hate the "going to let it lay overnight". I`ve been whitetail hunting for 35 years and have yet to let one lay overnight.

I have to be pretty lucky to watch any hunting shows, I rarely find time to watch much more than 15 minutes of news in the morning. I used to watch a lot of them, but they seemed to have morphed into the same thing. Look at how many "DIY" shows there are now.

There was a show a couple years back where two brothers went on a trip in Alaska for 3 weeks or something. That was pretty entertaining, and seemed pretty real, showing the ups and downs. The sequel was staged...

Most shows have too much staging and too much emphasis on killing some pre-scouted animal with a name. I think I saw 2-3 different shows in about a week where the host claimed to be a "professional hunter," yet was being led around by his hand on a private ranch.

The guys that get all worked up over some part of the hunt not working out, be it a stalk, a missed opportunity, or missed shot, crack me up. Its hunting, its supposed to be hard. If you made it work every time it would be a slaughter. No need to through a temper tantrum and toss your hat on the ground. ;)

I really miss Tred Barta, that guy didn't sugar coat anything, or make an apology and wasn't afraid to show his mistakes. I know everyone seems to be ashamed of messing up, making a bad shot, losing an animal, etc. If you hunt long enough it will happen. How you deal with it is what makes you a sportsman. Randy's old show seemed to have a similar slant, but I haven't had a chance to catch the latest one.

So what does your ideal hunting show consist of?

I'd love to see one that's more Red-Green than Heavy Metal. It could be sponsored by Duct Tape, cheap camo and Tuck's Medicated Pads.

It'd be more popular than Bailin' with Palin or what ever it was called.

If the women don't find you handsome, at least they'll find you handy.

I really miss Tred Barta, that guy didn't sugar coat anything, or make an apology and wasn't afraid to show his mistakes

I really liked Barta's show. There's a lot to be gained from hunting shows when the host displays personal hunting beliefs and behaviors that go beyond the rulebooks. It's the reason I look forward to Randy's show every week.

Well, I know in my small community there was a VHS place where you could rent Hunting Tapes as they really were not on the air once The American Sportsman went off the air. Boy it was alot of fun to rent Ol Roger Raglin and see him arrow a big buck yelling "Jimmy Christmas"! Of course back then that was what it was, basically the only game in town. Kinda burns like throwup to hear it now. Most shows whether they are Hunting or Comedy have morphed into the obsene, sorta like driving by a car accident. You know somebody just got hurt physically or financially, but we still look. I really enjoy Randy and Steven's shows, about all the ones I watch. John

Last edited:
How many times do you see the hunter show respect for the animal he just shot. I am not very religious but I always say a thank you prayer for the the meat I just took.I have never harvested a deer but I sure have killed a lot of them.

Add to the list all the fancy nails, pretty makeup and other hogwash that goes with the so-called women " hunters". What a bunch of crap!

As far as the clowns that leave game over night, I wonder how many pounds of elk meat have been lost by idiots pulling that crap? You can get away with it for deer more often, but elk are a whole different deal, even when it is cold.

It is all disgusting. Lots of good points on this thread and I hope some of these fools are monitoring.

Instead of calling them the outdoor channels, they outta rename them the whisper channels. I can't stand how after they kill an animal, they continue to whisper into the camera. Try talking normal. Hell, if I know the animal is down, I usually give it a few hoots or hollar's...

Add rock music sound tracks to the list. Everyone's trying to star in their own music video these days.

I also get sick to see the grotesque deer on the deer farm shows. I'd be ashamed to shoot one of those deer.

I cant stand it when they shoot at a trophy deer and miss, the deer runs off but ten minutes later the same deer comes walking back into the field.

I don't watch many waterfowl hunts, but is it a rule now that in order to hunt a duck, you have to have a full fledged Duck Commander beard...and face paint...with sun glasses?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back