Day trips/good steak near Douglas, Wy?

Birdbander

My antelope hunt ended with success on Tuesday, helped my friend with his hunt (successful) yesterday. Took a long day trip today to see Devil's Tower, then over to Mt. Rushmore thru Deadwood, and by Crazy Horse before returning to camp. I'll be breaking camp Sunday & staying in town to pick up my meat on Monday morning then on the road home to Michigan.

I'm looking for ideas for the next two days. Ideally I'd leave camp (northeast of Bill) after daybreak and be back before nightfall.

I think it would be a sin to not have a good steak while in Wyoming and would like your thoughts on where to go. Miners and Stockmen's in Hartville topled my list but they don't open until 5pm which would put me at camp too late.

I won't likely get to all suggestions, but all will be appreciated and considered🙂

My antelope hunt ended with success on Tuesday, helped my friend with his hunt (successful) yesterday. Took a long day trip today to see Devil's Tower, then over to Mt. Rushmore thru Deadwood, and by Crazy Horse before returning to camp. I'll be breaking camp Sunday & staying in town to pick up my meat on Monday morning then on the road home to Michigan.

I'm looking for ideas for the next two days. Ideally I'd leave camp (northeast of Bill) after daybreak and be back before nightfall.

I think it would be a sin to not have a good steak while in Wyoming and would like your thoughts on where to go. Miners and Stockmen's in Hartville topled my list but they don't open until 5pm which would put me at camp too late.

I won't likely get to all suggestions, but all will be appreciated and considered🙂
I don't have a place, but screw steak...you can eat steak anywhere....now pizza....there is one meal that is different around the country....I think you should be asking about pizza places :)

Ranahan is good fare. Its where I take my ranch owner when in town.

You could venture into Casper, there are a couple of decent museums there on the west, pioneering and trails. If you are really into Western history, there are several sights all over your area from the Ondian Wars and explorer days.

Buffalo is a cool town and the Occidental is very historic, TR, Hemingway, and Owen Wister all favored it. The bar is still original to around 1890. If you're a fan of Longmire, you'll enjoy the town.

Into Hot Springs, South Dakota is the Mammoth Site. Very cool active dig that's inside.

Staying close I'd recommend Ft Robinson St park in Crawford NE. Lots of history, crazy horse died there, museum, etc..

Hot Spring SD is also fun for a visit.

Agate Fossil Beds is not too far.

Hunt duskies.
This would have been my first choice but didn't bring a shotgun or dog this trip, but I appreciate the information.

After Casper, I decided to head north and see just a very little of the Big Horns. Beautiful country! Was hoping to see a grouse on a couple of the side roads of 16 but no luck today.

Stopped back for maps and information at both the BLM & US Forest Service offices in Buffalo. Both were very helpful. Stopped at The Lure Stop, and although they weren't as forthcoming (didn't expect them to be, that's how bird hunters are) they were helpful.

I have to beat feet to camp but I'm waiting on a burger in the Southside Grill in Buffalo first😉

Heading back to camp. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back