Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Day at the Range

Just measured the factory ammo with the bullet still in it, looks like its about 2.004"

Maybe I should had trim a case a little deeper and see if that does anything

I'm curious what you're trimming with that doesn't allow you to set the length? If your trimmed cases are too long, the chamber itself will effectively crimp the neck.

I'm curious what you're trimming with that doesn't allow you to set the length? If your trimmed cases are too long, the chamber itself will effectively crimp the neck.

That is what I am thinking as well. Especially if his seated depth falls in a groove on the TTSX.

That would explain the hard bolt close part.

Using a eze trim, it has preset length pins for my calibers for quick trimming ( https://www.midwayusa.com/product/124271/lyman-e-zee-trim-hand-case-trimmer-universal-set )

Just trimmed two rounds to 1.998" and both were still sticky after firing around the 50% bolt lift position.

Tested again with factory ammo, smooth as butter.

Test the case after firing, difficult to chamber and difficult to remove still.

Bullet was seated to 2.755" as well

Also the bolt is never difficult to close on an unfired case that I reloaded, only after firing does it close and open difficult. Hope that clears it up a little...

Does a non loaded, FL resized piece of brass chamber easily?
Does a loaded FL resized round chamber easily?
Are you trimming cases to 2.005”?
Yes
No, not difficult, but more resistance than factory or FL
Not trimming that short, default is 2.012" roughly, but I just trimmed down to 1.998" and it still was difficult to extract after firing.

Cant offer any more advice, but I had a rifle I flat couldn't get to shoot one time. Its beyond frustrating...I hope you can resolve this.

Yes
No, not difficult, but more resistance than factory or FL
Not trimming that short, default is 2.012" roughly, but I just trimmed down to 1.998" and it still was difficult to extract after firing.

So looking at this, I'm thinking it's something with your seating die that is messing shit up. I wouldn't try and diagnose it any further than getting new dies and seeing if that eliminates the problem. My guess is it does.

I agree with JLS. A new die set and retest.
I’m assuming a fired factory case doesn’t stick if you rechamber it after firing correct?

If it is happening only after you fire the reloaded round it may be the cut in your chamber. Can you measure one of the stuck fired cases necks for the diameter and see if it grows. It may be a optical illusion but the photo you shared looks like a bell on the end where the chamfer is.

Thought is that you chamfered them deep and with the brass getting harder from not annealing it is expanding to a slight groove in the chamber where the reamer stopped.

On soft brass you probably don’t notice it, ejecting it puts it back to spec. With the harder brass it becomes way more noticeable then sticking occurs.

You said the brass had 5 firings on it. But you didn’t have issues on the first 4 firings which would basically rule out the seating die.

If it is happening only after you fire the reloaded round it may be the cut in your chamber. Can you measure one of the stuck fired cases necks for the diameter and see if it grows. It may be a optical illusion but the photo you shared looks like a bell on the end where the chamfer is.

Thought is that you chamfered them deep and with the brass getting harder from not annealing it is expanding to a slight groove in the chamber where the reamer stopped.

On soft brass you probably don’t notice it, ejecting it puts it back to spec. With the harder brass it becomes way more noticeable then sticking occurs.

You said the brass had 5 firings on it. But you didn’t have issues on the first 4 firings which would basically rule out the seating die.
Newest reloads that are once fired are doing it as well. It's always been an issue to be honest, I just ignored it based off some advice of a co-worker that got me into reloading, just recently thought more about it...

Have you ever had anyone run a bore scope down it?

I would, especially if the new die set doesn’t resolve it.

If your friend reloads .308, you might have him load a few rounds with his equipment and see how they run in your rifle.

Anyway, if you decide to buy new dies, all mine are Hornady Custom Grade 2 die sets. They're not that expensive and you get a great rebate of free bullets. I use them in my Lee press, they work great.

Newest reloads that are once fired are doing it as well. It's always been an issue to be honest, I just ignored it based off some advice of a co-worker that got me into reloading, just recently thought more about it...

That wasn’t very good advice by your co worker. I don’t think it’s a chamber problem given the federal brass you fired extracted easy and fits when reinserted.
If your friend has 308 dies that would be easiest but if not just ordering new dies would help eliminate a few variables.

Alright, measured the very end of the case neck size came in at: 0.342"-0.344" ( size after FL sizing and deburring is 0.333") (factory ammo after firing is 0.3445")

I do chamfer all of the FL resized brass, maybe its possible I am twisting my deburring tool too much? Above info doesn't really seem to point that direction from what I can tell, but I'm open for suggestions ATM...

Once you get this elusive problem straightened out, I'd just like to put in a recommendation you try H4895 and Varget. I always seem to find good loads using those powders in my .308. With several different bullet designs.

Reactions: Guy
Once you get this elusive problem straightened out, I'd just like to put in a recommendation you try H4895 and Varget. I always seem to find good loads using those powders in my .308. With several different bullet designs.

Already ran through with Varget, BLC2 produced better groups for me. I have not tried H4895 tho.

Thinking just the seating die, nothing else? Particular brand to try?

Think its worth calling Lee's and see if they have any insight?

Not Hornady or Lee. Redding, RCBS, or Forster are the way to go. I prefer Redding for non-custom dies, but I cannot say that Forster or RCBS are inferior.

There’s nothing wrong with BL-C(2). It’s one of my favorite powders. Any ball will cause weird problems when you overfill the case, but I highly doubt that’s happening at those loads.

Last edited:
Are you using brass that has been "sticky" coming out of the chamber in the past? I'd think hard about using some new brass or the once fired brass that came out smoothly only.

Are you using brass that has been "sticky" coming out of the chamber in the past? I'd think hard about using some new brass or the once fired brass that came out smoothly only.
Latest bunch of brass is all once fired factory ammo, of which non was sticky coming out of the chamber, all were smooth as butter.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back