Dashing through the snow

Hummer

Antelope hunts are usually done in warm fall weather but this one proved to be different. Last Friday I packed the snow camo and headed to northwest Colorado during a snowstorm to hunt for a pronghorn buck. I arrived after dark traveling slick back roads in blizzard conditions and 8 inches of wet snow. The area is mostly private and the little bit of public land is heavily hunted. I was hoping the weather would discourage other hunters, especially because it's restricted to foot travel only.

Camping in the back of the truck I got up at 4:30 planning to beat some of the crowd by hiking into the farther reaches of the parcel. With luck they'd push some animals my direction. It pretty much happened that way as I had several shootable bucks come within 400-500 yards (a little far for my 4x scope).

The weather didn't keep hunters away as I counted a dozen or more within two miles of my position. This wasn't altogether bad as they kept the animals moving, pin-balling around the prairie between groups of hunters. I finally had an opportunity when 2 bucks and a doe stopped down a fence line from me. I guessed the range at 220 yards, missed the shot and the dash was on. Later, I paced the distance at 330 yards, darn!

Several other bucks were seen through the day but none within range. I watched one absolute pig of a buck hop the fence onto public land at about 700 yards. Given the position of other hunters I decided to stay put, and a half hour later that buck crossed back onto the private ground. He trotted right behind a hunter who never saw him.

The next day I hunted the same area covering more ground. There were fewer hunters, but it seemed most of of the animals had also moved out of the area. Later in the day I spotted a nice buck with a couple of does. A short stalk and a quick offhand shot at ~150 yards brought him down.

By this time much of the snow had melted into mud, and dragging the animal a quarter mile was an ordeal. I should have cut him up and packed it out in 2 or 3 loads.

This was the first time I've ever had to hunt a second day to punch a pronghorn tag. Soon after I got home he was hanging, skinned, cut up and in the refrigerator. We butchered and packaged the next day; it will make some great steaks and sausage.

Anantelope hunt is always good exercise before elk season which is only a week away!

Sweet buck. Out of curiousity, do you know who manages the stuff on both sides of the fence?

Very cool, how many points to draw the tag?
Had to use my one point. :eek:

Sweet buck. Out of curiousity, do you know who manages the stuff on both sides of the fence?
The gummint owns one side, various private land owners outside. Major portions are closed to hunting entirely, another charges trespass fees but I haven't inquired further. It's amazing how that country empties of animals after opening day. No one seems to know where they go.

Congrats on the loper, Hummer. Familiar looking country, there.
It surely must be, I thank you every time I pull and animal out of there. This was my eighth antelope and the fifth from that area. We need to get together one day soon to catch up on things.

Nice buck and beautiful hunting conditions. I was in Wyoming in 2009 when the early October snowstorm hit. The antelope bunched up on a sage flat in the area we hunt and I think we let the air out of seven or eight (mostly does). The snow really makes for great hunting conditions and photos, but not so good driving conditions/access.

Congratulations on the buck how big is he? i hunted the goat up here in MT last week in a great snowstorm but it didnt help my cause at all, they saw me just as fast but what can you expect with a bow, at least i got to archery hunt them in my snow camo for once.

The horns measure 13", a nice buck. It was fun spotting animals in the snow, easy to see them at 1 1/2-2 miles with 10x binoculars. I think I was the only hunter in the area wearing snow camo. Probably pretty effective even at 50% snow cover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back