Darn knees

RidgeRoamingRichard

I've recently been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, which so far means a couple sores and aching knees and hands. The hands I can deal with, but you all know how important knees are this time of year! I've been scouting a good deal and my knees feel ok while I'm going, but are really stiff in the mornings. I ice them when I can and try to eat well and exercise daily. Are there any other arthritic hunt talkers out there? What do you do to keep you moving?

I'm 57 and have lived with pain in my left knee since I was 13 when I nearly lost my leg in a motorcycle accident hitting a car.
By age 19 I developed arthritis and would flee to Hawaii every winter for relief. I've lived in the desert now for the past 25+ years and that helps.
Basically I just push through the pain. I don't like taking pills of any kind. I wear a knee brace and keep plenty hydrated.

My knee problems are probably different than yours but I find that the best thing for them is biking. Lots of it and with high (by nonracing standards) rpms. Turn abuot 90 RPMs and shift to match terrain and wind. Avoid tall gears.

The solution is revolution. At least for me.

Plus, it is a great excuse to go bike shopping. :)

I'm 57 and have lived with pain in my left knee since I was 13 when I nearly lost my leg in a motorcycle accident hitting a car.
By age 19 I developed arthritis and would flee to Hawaii every winter for relief. I've lived in the desert now for the past 25+ years and that helps.
Basically I just push through the pain. I don't like taking pills of any kind. I wear a knee brace and keep plenty hydrated.
Thank you. I was hoping you'd say whisky or big macs, but I figured "grin and bear it" would be the best course.

My knee problems are probably different than yours but I find that the best thing for them is biking. Lots of it and with high (by nonracing standards) rpms. Turn abuot 90 RPMs and shift to match terrain and wind. Avoid tall gears.

I might have to give it a try. I've got an old Schwinn collecting dust in the garage.

I might have to give it a try. I've got an old Schwinn collecting dust in the garage.
Take it to the shop and have them tune it up. Riding an untuned bike is like shooting an unsighted rifle. No fun. Tuning costs more than you think but do it.

I can't cure my knees, but I can manage them. Biking and exercise are half or more of it. The other half is to drop some pounds. The exercise will help, but as a friend once told me, the secret it to put down the fork.

BTW, a good physical therapist is priceless. Have your doc refer you while the bike is getting tuned and tell her or him what your plans and hopes are.

If you get serious about it, I bet you can improve things a lot.

Lots of stretching of the whole body. It has done wonders for me. My knee pain was mostly due to hips not limber enough. Pissed the doc off the other day when I told him his arthritis meds were a joke. A PT fixed mine.

Last edited:

My surgeon told me when I was 13 that the best thing for my knee was bicycling and swimming.

I had major knee pain after car wreck and surgery
kinda fix myself with lots of high rep very low weight squats very low weight and slowly built up reps to 100
you have to keep proper form with squats many dont

Take it to the shop and have them tune it up. Riding an untuned bike is like shooting an unsighted rifle. No fun. Tuning costs more than you think but do it.

I can't cure my knees, but I can manage them. Biking and exercise are half or more of it. The other half is to drop some pounds. The exercise will help, but as a friend once told me, the secret it to put down the fork.

BTW, a good physical therapist is priceless. Have your doc refer you while the bike is getting tuned and tell her or him what your plans and hopes are.

If you get serious about it, I bet you can improve things a lot.
Great tips, thank you. I'll get 'er tuned up.
I've got the frame of the artist formerly known as Prince, so weight really isn't my issue, ha ha. Although clunky old gear makes for a heavier pack. Maybe I'll slip some of my stuff into my buddies' packs to save weight!

I had major knee pain after car wreck and surgery
kinda fix myself with lots of high rep very low weight squats very low weight and slowly built up reps to 100
sounds a little like my biking routine. Reps with low pressure, low impact

you have to keep proper form with squats many dont

Sadly, I f'ed up on one rep back in Novermber and knee surgery resulted (meniscus). Doesn't take much to screw up.

I've been doing physical therapy on my knee and ankle for the last seven weeks and I am just getting to where I am walking without any great amount of pain. Archery elk season opens this Saturday and I just got my tag today. I may regret it but elk season only comes around once a year.

I've been doing physical therapy on my knee and ankle for the last seven weeks and I am just getting to where I am walking without any great amount of pain. Archery elk season opens this Saturday and I just got my tag today. I may regret it but elk season only comes around once a year.

Best of luck, but when you connect, I suggest many light trips rather than fewer heavy.

Hoping for good news and pics soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back